SMF January 2020 Challenge Signup thread - Book Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made attempt 2 tonight. Did not use FO so I avoided the mishap of the last batch. I also got my set of clay carving tools today so I may make something else and see if I like it better.

Just a reminder of the deadlines:
upload_2020-1-22_12-11-54.png

The entry thread will open on the 24th, but you may make you soap after that as long as you can get it shared in the entry thread before the closing date. If you don't make the deadlines, please still share your soaps in the signup thread! (You will make this little bookworm's heart so happy!)

Here's the most recent signup list. Please make sure that if you signed up, that your name is on the list. If it isn't, copy and paste into a new post and add your name.

1. MarnieSoapien - I'm soo excited for this challenge!!
2. Artemis - I hope I can carve out a little time this month
3. Kosmerta- The hardest part of this challenge will be picking just one book, I love so many
4. Primrose - down the rabbit hole I go ...
5. bookreader451 - how can I not enter this one!
6. dibbles - I have 4 days to get this done...fingers crossed!
7. jcandleattic - been wanting to do this one FOR -EVER
8.soapysuds - I’ve had this idea kickingaround, let’s see how it goes!
9. BattleGnome - made a soap last night,just gotta have a photo shoot!
10 szaza - let's see how this works out..
11. earlene - I have been reading so many books again lately, so numerous to choose from
12. Roselyne- I have to get back on the saddle!!
13. msunnerstood - I have Just the book!
14.SideDoorSoaps - I just had an idea the other day for this

I had an idea, but couldn’t quite pull myself away from practicing swirls and playing with natural colorants this month to execute the plan. I cant wait to see what everyone comes up with. I know they will be terrific.

@amd Does our entry photo have to be in color? I'm thinking my possible entry might look better in black and white, but I don't want to break any rules.

@Kosmerta I really like the way you interpreted your book. The gold accents are particularly lovely in your soap.
@szaza Your entry is so fun. What a good idea you had to create your snowballs, and your Hobbes is adorable.
@msunnerstood Woo Hoo, your first CP!! Congratulations - it turned out great. I love the Wizard of Oz too, and the elements you chose are perfect.

@Kosmerta I really like the way you interpreted your book. The gold accents are particularly lovely in your soap.
@szaza Your entry is so fun. What a good idea you had to create your snowballs, and your Hobbes is adorable.
@msunnerstood Woo Hoo, your first CP!! Congratulations - it turned out great. I love the Wizard of Oz too, and the elements you chose are perfect.

Thanks Dibbles!

eta: @dibbles I LOVVVVE your dragons! is that an embed? or how did you do that?

Thanks Dibbles!

eta: @dibbles I LOVVVVE your dragons! is that an embed? or how did you do that?
Thank you! I used the inlaid design technique. I made the soap first, then carved out the design, then filled with new soap added with a pipette. It was a technique used in the Soap Challenge Club a few months ago. Here are a couple of videos, one using poured soap and one using soap dough.

I just posted mine. I had a whole write-up planned in my head that would have been a lot more compelling. I should have written it down instead of relying on my memory... Anyway, it is what it is.

@MarnieSoapien I love the idea of a deep space soap and I think your color combo is perfect for it:thumbs:

Very well done @jcandleattic ! I love how you've incorporated every aspect of this personage in your soap!

@artemis I really like the way you presented your soap, with the little red cigar bands that look a bit like kilts and the towel in the background that is the color of their clothes. I think you captured those little creatures very well and now I really want to read that book!!;)

Still working on mine ... lots of ideas but none actually executed. But still time before the challenge ends, so here's hoping!

@MarnieSoapien your color choice was perfect and the swirls are mesmerizing. Lovely soap!
@jcandleattic you nailed the color palette you were recreating. I love the thoughtfulness of each element of your soap. Nicely done!
@artemis the swirls in your soap are so pretty, and I like the way you chose to represent the feegles and Horace.
@BattleGnome Heidi is such a wonderful story. Your soaps are all pretty, but I think I too like the silver one best. The honeycomb detail in some of the others is sooo nice though, it's really hard to choose. Great work with all the small details.

Latest posts

Back