SMF January 2019 SOAP Challenge - DOTS!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a pencil (eraser end), a pin stuck into another pencil's eraser, an embossing tool, a toothpick, anything I could find that would create a dot when stuck into a bit of paint.

All these can also be used with beeswax for traditional Eastern European Easter eggs. Add wax, dip egg, repeat till satisfied

The other end of paintbrushes also work! I used to paint with oils too so I had different sized brushes that make different sized dots.

@Misschief I like the concept of your soap! Anything with black also appeals to me.. Love it!

@artemis from the entry pic you posted I'd not ever think you had problems with it lol They're actually very pretty :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words people! I think the subject is really fun, I love all the soaps entered so far!
@Misschief yours is really super ingenious! Love the panels! Somehow your soaps make me think of a cup of hot chocolate with lots of whipped cream and cookies.. yum! Though the black panels with white dots also make it look a bit like stars on the outside.. hmm space latte?
@artemis, I wish you wouldn't have showed us the bars falling apart! Your soaps are so serene and beautiful! Makes me feel like I'm looking at the sky on a distant planet *dream*

I added a better photo of the top of my soap to the entry thread. Had to make a new post because the post edit had expired. Don't know if I should have put it in the entry thread or here. What do you think Salted fig?

Anyway there is a link to Auntie Clara's blog where she explains how to do it.
She makes the most beautiful soap.

However, I wouldn't use metal to make the stamps. I use plastic coated bendy wire. You can get it in the plant section of a big hardware shop.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-1-60mm-x-20m-black-pvc-coated-tie-wire_p3040627

Last edited:
I added a better photo of the top of my soap to the entry thread. Had to make a new post because the post edit had expired. Don't know if I should have put it in the entry thread or here> What do you think Salted fig?

Anyway there is a link to Auntie Clara's blog where she explains how to do it.
She makes the most beautiful soap.
This new photo show the dots on the top beautifully. I love the creamy white colour of the soap. Looks lovely.

@dibbles - I await with bated breath. I've seen what you're capable of!

Seriously guys, your soaps all look great. I have a soap in the mold. I can't babysit it tonight, so I sure hope it gels and I can get it out and cleaned up tomorrow (dot...dot...dot...)
Ohhhhh I'm looking forward to seeing what you came up with!:D

I added a better photo of the top of my soap to the entry thread. Had to make a new post because the post edit had expired. Don't know if I should have put it in the entry thread or here. What do you think Salted fig?

Putting your updated photo in the entry thread is the best idea - I won't miss it that way, when I compile the voting list :)

Seriously guys, your soaps all look great. I have a soap in the mold. I can't babysit it tonight, so I sure hope it gels and I can get it out and cleaned up tomorrow (dot...dot...dot...)
giggle.gif
(Thanks for the little giggle)
Looking forward to seeing your soap dibbles :)

@SideDoorSoaps - your entry is amazing! They really do look like planets. Very cool. Thanks for the blow-by-blow account of how you made it too. It's very interesting to read how things are done.

No, @KiwiMoose - Yours are!!!! Lol painting soap with tiny dots seems so mesmerizing.

I love how different techniques were used to get the dots look. I wouldn’t have thought about cutting circles out of labels of soap. That inlay look is so cool, @Misschief!

I want to try the inverted stamp one day and I think the circles on top look so elegant on penelopejane’s as well as the dusted soap balls on artemis’s. @szaza those clowning around soaps are so cute!!

Latest posts

Back