SMF January 2019 SOAP Challenge - DOTS!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KiwiMoose - You did an amazing job converting your rock art into soap art!
smilie_girl_020.gif

@KiwiMoose, these, by far, have got to be my favorite of your creations! I love them! I'd keep em on display and never let anyone use them lol

No but seriously, I love mandalas and used to do them in mehndi, on hands n feet when I was younger, as a way to earn extra cash. These bring back memories.......

Kiwi, when I see lots of dots it makes me quite dizzy so I can't look at your soaps for very long. But I'm dying to know what tool you used to apply the dots, and did you score or mark the soap with the design first?

I think the half black and white is the perfect base for your design! Just lovely!

Kiwi, when I see lots of dots it makes me quite dizzy so I can't look at your soaps for very long. But I'm dying to know what tool you used to apply the dots, and did you score or mark the soap with the design first?

I think the half black and white is the perfect base for your design! Just lovely!

Thank you Lenarenee - don't look too long, we can't have you getting dizzy!
I used the same dotting tools that I use for my rock painting ( I ordered them from a woman in Canada who, coincidentally, is from New Zealand). I do all my painting freehand usually with no 'plan', just let the design emerge as it will. In the case of these soaps I did cut a circle out of paper and snip a hole in the centre so I could mark where the centre of the soap was to start. I don't usually have to do this on my rocks because they are not perfectly symmetrical in shape.
Mandala_Dotting_Tools_(size_1-16).html

@artemis, I really like your little round pond of golden dots!
(Mind you, the soaps you entered are beautiful ... I like the golden mica line idea to match the golden dots, and I also like how coated soap balls come out different sizes in the finished soap - it's such a lovely effect!).

Those are cool! My young one might be interested in this. I simply couldn't stand to do it - dizzy or not. Too much detail and patience required and rocks/soap would be hurled through the window!
If you think your daughter might be interested in something like this, @lenarenee, look around your home for anything she could experiment with. I once painted a couple of wooden spoons with a similar technique. I used a pencil (eraser end), a pin stuck into another pencil's eraser, an embossing tool, a toothpick, anything I could find that would create a dot when stuck into a bit of paint.

If you think your daughter might be interested in something like this, @lenarenee, look around your home for anything she could experiment with. I once painted a couple of wooden spoons with a similar technique. I used a pencil (eraser end), a pin stuck into another pencil's eraser, an embossing tool, a toothpick, anything I could find that would create a dot when stuck into a bit of paint.
Yes - I started out the same way - kebab sticks were great - pointy end and flat end. Then I bought some nail art tools - they were good too.
https://www.wish.com/search/nail art dotting/product/59a7cc7a6a273025b5674136?&source=search

Latest posts

Back