SMF January 2017 Challenge: Gradient Layer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where you said we can have another colour in the middle that's not part of the gradient, does it need to be in the middle? Could I have one colour at the top then have my layers if gradient colour on top of it? And if I do that does the one layer of the other colour count towards the 5 or would I still need 5 layers of my gradient colour meaning 6 in total?

Do the layers have to be straight, or can we do a spin swirl or something like that with them?

Sonya, I think this is best answered in pictures. However I'll explain it to the best of my ability in words first. I meant that you can have 2 colors as part of your gradient (for example pink to yellow) instead of just going from pink to light pink.

The top of your soap (or the bottom) may be any color you like. However, it will not be counted as part of the amount of layers for that gradient so you would need the 5 gradient layers and a 6th color on top or bottom.

Examples of soap that would be following the rules for this challenge are below. Please note that I don't know the authors of some that I found. If you know who it is, let me know and I'll edit the post:

Bee of sorcery soaps: ImageUploadedBySoap Making1483391263.371668.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O6sFyhtdalg/UBKN6a5Vs8I/AAAAAAAAJ9I/TBSX4pe--74/s1600/IMG_7032.JPG

https://flic.kr/p/bVemZ9 (this one actually doesn't have enough layers with the top, 5 total instead of 6)

This one is a good example of the "two color" gradient that I was referring to:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1483391926.330271.jpg

This one below is an example of one that would have to be disqualified only because the top embeds interfere with the gradient.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZTGHZygX25w/UBKOLEEOXSI/AAAAAAAAJ9g/uKcoycols04/s1600/IMG_6740.jpg

Earlene,
I love your thinking, however I'd like the layers to be relatively straight. It doesn't have to be perfect and they can be poured diagonally. Look at the example below for an idea. I just don't want mixed and textured layers.

https://www.fraeuleinwinter.com/2016/01/11/farbverlauf/ (it's the one with the diagonal layers in this link. I can't direct link it for some reason...)

Last edited:
Well I didn't think i was confused, but now I am. I was planning a 2 color gradient. But now I'm thinking the way I was planning would be counted as 3 colors. Would the following example be acceptable or no?

Yellow
Yellowish orange
Orange
Orangish red
Red

I only plan to use two colors, but where they combine creates a third.

Ok, so another question... do the gradient layers have to be directly touching each other? Or, for instance, can there be a pencil line and/or thin layer of base color in-between so long as the gradient layers are definitely the bulk of things?

Mica lines are ok to do. As long as it stays obvious that there is a gradient. However, no additional soap can be added in between the layers and disrupting the gradient pattern. I'll add these clarifications into the rules.

1. BattleGnome - super excited for a new challenge
2. Mx6inpenn - I'm game
3. dibbles - I can't believe I've never done this
4. MissChief - Twist my rubber arm..I'll MAKE room, dammit!
5. Sonya-m - haven't soaped or been on here for ages so it's about time!!
6. Crispysoap - bring it on
7. PenelopeJane - this should be fun
8. Steve85569 - I just happen to have an FO that accelerates...
9. earlene - another new technique for me to learn! Thank you
10. HowieRoll - first challenge ever; new technique. What could go wrong?
11. Redhead1226 - Im positive Im going to say the "F" word during this. A lot!

Mica lines are ok to do. As long as it stays obvious that there is a gradient. However, no additional soap can be added in between the layers and disrupting the gradient pattern. I'll add these clarifications into the rules.

Thanks for clarifying! (although it's back to the drawing board for Plan B... or am I on C now...? Arrgh, can't decide! :))

Earlene,
I love your thinking, however I'd like the layers to be relatively straight. It doesn't have to be perfect and they can be poured diagonally. Look at the example below for an idea. I just don't want mixed and textured layers.

https://www.fraeuleinwinter.com/2016/01/11/farbverlauf/ (it's the one with the diagonal layers in this link. I can't direct link it for some reason...)

Some of those pictures are lovely examples. But it sounds like the corner pour (or whatever that one on the bottom left is called ) wouldn't be acceptable because it's not straight, is that right? That's Okay. I can try something like that at a later date. I sure do like the look of the diagonal one with the shades of blue (top middle); just lovely.

Not sure what I'll do next but I wanted to try something interesting. Of course, I think I should get the straight layers right first before I try something different.

Still, until I get the shades more distinct, all of this is moot.

I just realized that even if my shades had turned out as I had hoped, it still wouldn't have qualified because it was only 5 layers and not 6. So, I guess I'm glad it wasn't my 'perfect' soap. :)

I just poured 2 loaves of this today for a customer! I used pink and a bit of TD to brighten up the top layer to prevent it from looking sickly. Does that comply? If not no worries.

I just poured 2 loaves of this today for a customer! I used pink and a bit of TD to brighten up the top layer to prevent it from looking sickly. Does that comply? If not no worries.

If you're concerned, send me a pm. I think from the sound of it, it should be ok.

Edit: Also, to let everyone know, I go back to teaching tomorrow so I won't be able to reply until around 6 pm CST at the earliest M-F for the rest of the month. I might be able to answer brief questions before I head to work in the mornings though.

Last edited:
Violet for January challenge

Sorry Violet, but the general rules are stated as...
SMF Challenge General Rules

· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)

If you get to 50 posts before the challenge is closed and voting begins, you are welcome to sign up and submit a soap, however!
:)

2. Mx6inpenn - I'm game
12. Judiraz I haven't tried a gradient in about a year. Should be fun???

Sorry Violet, but the general rules are stated as...

SMF Challenge General Rules

· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)

If you get to 50 posts before the challenge is closed and voting begins, you are welcome to sign up and submit a soap, however!

:)

Thank you for getting to write this!

No problem galaxy! I also have been overwhelmingly busy, but I am now trying to become more active and especially keep an eye on the challenge:) I have to prep for February's challenge, can you say panicking a little?!

I will try to drop in several times a day to help out on those times you're busy.

2. Mx6inpenn - I'm game
13. BeesKnees I have only been soaping a little over 2 months so it may be a mess but I'm game!

After making a slow to trace batch and playing with only two colors I now know that I will need to measure the FO carefully before I make my attempt at this one. This first layer had to be forced into the mold but the second poured in nicely and set up in 20 seconds.
Timing will be everything on this method I suspect!

2. Mx6inpenn - I'm game
13. BeesKnees I have only been soaping a little over 2 months so it may be a mess but I'm game!
14. mommycarlson - I'll give it a whirl!

Back