SMF has had a software update. Questions here please.

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Since the update I have not been able to login using Firefox. Since it is my browser of choice, I would really like to be able to login using FF. I can login on another browser, but if there is a tried & true trick I haven't found yet, I'd really like to know so I can use FF.

I have cleared cache, restarted my computer, none of that has made me able to log in with FF. Has anyone else had trouble with FF, but found out how to get it to work with FF? If so, please let me know so I can give that a try.

The version of FF I am using is not listed anymore like it used to be. All it says when I check is "Firefox is up to date."

Thanks.

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Take the saved link off Firefox. Then type in the forum address in the top bar and bring it up. You should see Log in. Click on it and clear cookies, refresh page, then log in. Save that new page as your saved link.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It is fixed as of this morning. Somehow it is working again and all I did was post the message above. All the other things I tried before did not work. If it happens again, I will do as you suggest and delete the saved irl, etc.

Thank you, Angie!

Marsi

Reaction score
I tried sending a SMF thread link to another member, but my message was blocked for being "spam-like".

I could send the message if I didn't include the SMF thread link

ShirleyHailstock

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried sending a SMF thread link to another member, but my message was blocked for being "spam-like".

Put spaces in between the link address. It makes it look like text. i.e. soap @ online com

Then tell the person to remove the spaces. They probably know that anyway. I wouldn't put a period at the end of com because if they include that, the link will fail.

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score

Now I know what happened. You had a link, and your posts still run through the spam check filter. And a link will set off the filter to think spam may be within. We've had spammers come in and send crazy sale links, and nasty links to members, so we are excessively careful.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you click on it? Hmmm. Once in a great while there is a difficult image. If you can see almost all of them then things should be good. Let me know if you have an issue with another image.
I am having the what sounds like the same issue as @BattleGnome's and I'm also using an ipad and the safari browser. Here's an example, Post #74 in the current challenge thread, of how a thumbnail size photo looks when I click on it to open it to full size:

34118096-6565-49BA-8A4C-22B5A3E88743.jpeg
the only way I can view the full image is to open it in another tab using the icon circled in red. Clicking on the icon circled in yellow, which I assume is for expanding to a full page, doesn't do anything. I did not experience this issue before the site update. It's not a major inconvenience in the big scheme of things now that I've figured out that I can open the image in another tab.

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I saw the same issue on my iPad with Safari. So, I've gone to post #74 and made the thumbnail into a full sized image. I'm not sure why the clicked on the thumbnail opened into that line. I'll check on that a bit more later.
Let me know if you see such thing again.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the same issue on my iPad with Safari. So, I've gone to post #74 and made the thumbnail into a full sized image. I'm not sure why the clicked on the thumbnail opened into that line. I'll check on that a bit more later.
Let me know if you see such thing again.
Thanks Angie. It happens other places and that was just an example. I will send you another one the next time it happens.

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm going to have it looked into by the tech.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is a tool that our developer recommended. He tried to find anything wrong with it on our side of the issue.
That troubleshooting guide is for a Mac, but I'm using an iPad, which has a totally different operating system (IOS for iPad, similar to iPhones). I am continuing to have issues with some images, but then others open just fine. Given that the iphone has a similar operating system, I went ahead and tried opening the same images on my iPhone and iPad. These are two independent devices, but the browsers on both are Safari. Software is updated on both. The phone is using my cell phone service provider, the iPad is connected to my home internet from a different provider. The results are very strange!

For this thread: Sea Salt Soap Luv
There are five thumbnail images in the first post. #s 1,2,4 and 5 open fully on my iPhone, but for #3, I get the partial image. I can open all of them on my iPad.

For this thread: Still having fun
I can open all of Todd's images on both devices.

For this thread: Merlot Madness Soap
I get a partial image when I try to open the first "soap in the mold" thumbnail on the phone and iPad.

For this thread: another beer soap...
The first time I clicked on the left thumbnail on the iPad, I got a black screen, no image visible at all, although the image id appears at the bottom. After closing the screen, the second thumbnail opened just fine. I closed that and clicked on the first thumbnail again and it opened to the full image. On my phone, I can get the right thumbnail to open to a full image, but for the left thumbnail I got the black screen three tries In a row.

I think this eliminates a particular device as the issue since my iPhone and iPad are independent. Maybe there's some clue here that's helpful for the developer. If not, no worries.

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have tested those threads on my iPad and that top one that you cannot see the 3rd one, I don't see the 1st one.

I have looked in the Safari controls and see nothing about viewing attachments.
I do not see any difference between any of those images when I check them in edit mode.

And can you download Chrome and use it. It works. I know that the ioS / Mac items have more issues in some forum stuff than android/windows/chrome/firefox, etc.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tested those threads on my iPad and that top one that you cannot see the 3rd one, I don't see the 1st one.

I have looked in the Safari controls and see nothing about viewing attachments.
I do not see any difference between any of those images when I check them in edit mode.

And can you download Chrome and use it. It works. I know that the ioS / Mac items have more issues in some forum stuff than android/windows/chrome/firefox, etc.
Thanks Angie. I will try the Chrome browser.

Reaction score
Hi, I get the Daily Newsletter and for the past few days none of the links back to the forum have worked. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is this a known issue? Thanks in advance!

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No complaint, more of a "suggestion box" thought

I had an idea just the other day. I love how every time someone uses "lye calculator" it becomes a link to the calculator here. My idea was: wouldn't it be great if every time someone used "beginners forum" or "introduction forum" or "forum rules" it would link to those things, too? That way, a new person with no forum experience could jump right there.

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Any person that wants to watch a thread or forum can do that and get a notice when anything is added.

Also, there are many threads that show up in the Forum Activity email.

Latest posts