SMF February Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm traveling a bunch this month so probably need to sit it out. But I must say the posts so far are great!

I would think the trick in a spin swirl would be to hit -- and stay -- at light trace. I am thinking you need some cohesion between the batter colors so that they stay distinct rather than blurring with just emulsion (or blobbing with too much trace). I realize most people are over blending and getting too thick of a trace, but there is also the issue of the wait associated with under-blending. I learned that (a couple times) while attempting zebras. So my question is, is there a way to blend past emulsion (and the long hands-off pause) to getting a nice light trace that is quicker to be cohesive, but stays in that state without progressing too quickly?

1. traderbren - (am I really first? Can I plant an earworm? Cuz this challenge will spin me right round baby, right round)
2. MySoapyHeart (Never done this, I don`thave the right mold. Sure, sign me up!)
3. Misschief (wasn't going to...nope, nope... oh, what the heck!)
4. McGraysoldtowngifts (Insert witty comment here)
5. KCHaystack (Time to take my new mold out for another spin)
6. dibbles (I'll give it a whirl. Yes, I said that.)
7. doriettefarm (here's hoping I don't end up with soap all over the walls & ceiling, wheee!)
8. Judiraz ( I can use color, right? Thank Goodness!)
9. BlackDog (yay! no more black soap!)
10. Steve85569 ( not going to put myself through that this month! On my way back from the shop with fresh built mold - may as well....)
11. Snappyllama (sweet, I love spin swirls!)
12. AMD - what could possibly go wrong?
13. Crispysoap (first challenge and first slab mold......what was I thinking!)
14. TheDragonGirl (Good excuse to build that slab mold I really want)
15. Mrs Spaceship (This should be easy enough...right...right??)
16.JuneP (hope I can get one of those molds/dividers so I can do this!)
17. mintle (will definitely wear two sets of protective glasses for this crazy spinning one)
18. navigator9 (Finally getting off my lazy, retired butt.....I'm in!)
19. Saponista (Better go and dust off the lazy Susan from the loft - I can see this getting messy!)
20. Dillsandwitch ( Its been a while since I have made any soap. No better excuse to get back on the wagon)
21. songwind (Life keeps ambushing me before I can finish my entry, but I'm trying again.)
22. SweetBubbleTreat

Well now. I can see that I am going to have to get a BUNCH more fo's.

DW is telling me that I need to put a "free soap" sign in the yard out by the road.:???:

No Steve! Give them away as birthday or thank you presents - on the proviso that they give you good feedback. "It's soap" is not acceptable!

Not sure how many of these I am going to try. I calculated the batch size for my 9 bar slab, and to pour double thick it is a 1.3 Kg batch, and would be the biggest I have ever done! And I am running low on some oil so it is almost time to put in an order with Soaper's Choice... sigh.

The little BB slab I have just isn't tall enough to pour double thick and have decent sized bars after cutting in half.

Sure I can just cut 1 in half - but what if the NEXT bar I would have cut would have an amazing winning design? :crazy:

So I might just have to limit myself to 2 tries... CURSES!

I made first batch and on the outside it was "meh", nothing too interesting. It was the largest amount of soap I have ever dealt with (2kg of soap, to fill into the brambleberry 9 slots slab mold with dividers- btw kchaystack do you have the same one?). I was not happy with the results - because of large amount of soap, I could not spin it too much. So of course I made a second attempt (it is in the freezer now prior to unmoulding).

But I have just cut the first batch horizontally, just out of curiosity - not really giving it too many chances to jump into the "nice" category. And to my suprise - I am not sure if this is my experience only? - these spin soaps after cutting horizontally are so much nicer! The different patterns on the inside I find just amazing! So please give your meh soaps a second chance :)!

But I have just cut the first batch horizontally, just out of curiosity - not really giving it too many chances to jump into the "nice" category. And to my suprise - I am not sure if this is my experience only? - these spin soaps after cutting horizontally are so much nicer! The different patterns on the inside I find just amazing! So please give your meh soaps a second chance :)!

It's surprising the difference you get with the horizontal cut isn't it?!

The spin swirl definitely shines once it's cut

I did a regular batch (2lb oil) in my homemade slab mold. I just cut them regular size and then in half for the swirl. I figure I'll just sell them as a set.

Low water( Lye @38.5%) and sandalwood Patch with a touch of love spell.
I could have gone to the store while waiting for the trace to thicken. I wouldn't have believed it a couple of months ago.
Had a Sponge Bob rainbow moment when I spun the mold!
I took before and after pics of the spin just for proof.

The mold is 6" square and took 3.5 pounds of oil (1.15kg).

DSCF2758.jpg

DSCF2762.jpg

Too late to join the challenge?

Too early for you elmtree.
There is a time and post requirement before you can enter the monthly challenge. It's all explained in the first post on this thread. I look forward to seeing what you do for next month's challenge.

Welcome to the forum! Pull up a jug of oil and a couple pounds of lye and stick around!

Time is not the issue, but posts. You have to have joined the forum for a month (you have 10 months) and have 50 posts but alas, you have not been a talker, Elmtree! You must chat a bit more but you should have no problems joining next month, provided you have the big 5-0 or more beneath your name.

Low water( Lye @38.5%) and sandalwood Patch with a touch of love spell.
I could have gone to the store while waiting for the trace to thicken. I wouldn't have believed it a couple of months ago.
Had a Sponge Bob rainbow moment when I spun the mold!
I took before and after pics of the spin just for proof.

The mold is 6" square and took 3.5 pounds of oil (1.15kg).

I predict great things for this one! Swirl doesn't look over spun and you've got some great movement! Hopefully it's a keeper and we will see it very soon in the entry thread

Ok thanks. I've actually been a member for a couple years but when we bought our house I downloaded the app on my phone and used a different name cause I forgot my old stuff lol. No worries. Still looks fun tho :)

This looks like a lot of fun! Other than the fact that I've never tried this technique... actually, I've never used a slab mold... Okay, I admit, I'm slightly intimidated, but I'm sure I'll get over it. Hopefully I have enough time this month for several attempts, because I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

1. traderbren - (am I really first? Can I plant an earworm? Cuz this challenge will spin me right round baby, right round)
2. MySoapyHeart (Never done this, I don`thave the right mold. Sure, sign me up!)
7. doriettefarm (here's hoping I don't end up with soap all over the walls & ceiling, wheee!)
10. Steve85569 ( not going to put myself through that this month! On my way back from the shop with fresh built mold - may as well....)
17. mintle (will definitely wear two sets of protective glasses for this crazy spinning one)
19. Saponista (Better go and dust off the lazy Susan from the loft - I can see this getting messy!)
20. Dillsandwitch ( Its been a while since I have made any soap. No better excuse to get back on the wagon)
21. songwind (Life keeps ambushing me before I can finish my entry, but I'm trying again.)
22. SweetBubbleTreat
23. QueenBeeSoap (What am I getting myself into?! Better sign up before I talk myself out of it.)

I found time today to try out the challenge. I know that my trace was too thin and I got over mixing but, I've decided to join just in case it surprises me.

22. SweetBubbleTreat
23. QueenBeeSoap (What am I getting myself into?! Better sign up before I talk myself out of it.)
24. GalaxyMLP (I'm a fan of loaf molds and will try mine in a loaf!)

My failed attempt scented with Green Irish Tweed. Was going to name it"Irish Greens" but have decided to go with "Blarney Stone" instead. Now it sounds like it was intentional. This was done in a loaf mold and I cut it horizontally. Trace was wayyyy too thin. It actually ended up taking 2 hours after I poured it to even be able to put it in the oven to CPOP it. It also leaked a little.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1455295900.255323.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1455295923.038685.jpg

Latest posts

Back