SMF February Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Welcome to February's soap challenge! I'm going to outline some basic rules to start, with the hopes that everyone who reads this sees this first and foremost.

1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. I will start a list with the number of participants signed up once voting begins. You must fill in your SMF name beside a number once you vote (just copy and paste the list adding your name once you vote). This helps us to be fair in the voting process and ensure voting fraud or mistakes aren't made (we, the challenge mods, are trying to find ways to ensure this is a fair voting process).

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

A spin swirl is produced by spinning the mould filled with soap after it has been poured. In order to see the results of your spin you will need to slice your bars horizontally to reveal the pattern/swirl within.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on 15/02/16 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date 22/02/16 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on 29/02/16. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

Challenge Specific Rules
· Although I believe you will get the best results by using a slab mould - you can use any mould you wish. If you don't have a slab mould you can get creative with cardboard boxes, drinks cartons etc.
· You may fill the mould in any way you wish.
· Your entry may be designed in any way you wish but you must use at least two colours - there is no upper limit on colours.
· Your entry photo/video MUST be a picture of at least one bar cut horizontally through the middle so that you show two bars - a mirror image of each other.

Challenge tips
· I recommend making a double sized batch if you intend to cut all your bars in half - so that you still have usable sized bars.
· Keeping your soap batter fluid helps so use a slow moving recipe and a FO/EO you know behaves.
· You don't want your batter to be too fluid - this will result in muddy colours when you come to swirl. There's definitely a fine line of too thin and too thick for this challenge.

So here's the video - this video isn't at the quality I would like but I had multiple fails when trying to make this tutorial so I rushed this one to make sure I captured it! My first attempt went well apart from finding my phone hadn't recorded anything, 2nd attempt resulted in soap on a stick, attempts 3 & 4 also didn't record (and I dropped my phone in the soap on attempt 4!).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXX7cZQGVg0&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Here are some pictures of the final soap (notice how they're all mirror images of each other) and also some of the other batches:

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

Last edited:
1. traderbren - (am I really first? Can I plant an earworm? Cuz this challenge will spin me right round baby, right round)

1. traderbren - (am I really first? Can I plant an earworm? Cuz this challenge will spin me right round baby, right round)
2. MySoapyHeart (Never done this, I don`thave the right mold. Sure, sign me up!:lol:)

2. MySoapyHeart (Never done this, I don`thave the right mold. Sure, sign me up!)
3. Misschief (wasn't going to...nope, nope... oh, what the heck!)

2. MySoapyHeart (Never done this, I don`thave the right mold. Sure, sign me up!)
4. McGraysoldtowngifts (Insert witty comment here)
5. KCHaystack (Time to take my new mold out for another spin)

6. dibbles (I'll give it a whirl. Yes, I said that.)

7. doriettefarm (here's hoping I don't end up with soap all over the walls & ceiling, wheee!)

7. doriettefarm (here's hoping I don't end up with soap all over the walls & ceiling, wheee!)
8. Judiraz ( I can use color, right? Thank Goodness!)

9. BlackDog (yay! no more black soap!)

10. Steve85569 ( not going to put myself through that this month! On my way back from the shop with fresh built mold - may as well....)

10. Steve85569 ( not going to put myself through that this month! On my way back from the shop with fresh built mold - may as well....)
11. Snappyllama (sweet, I love spin swirls!)

12. AMD - what could possibly go wrong?

13. Crispysoap (first challenge and first slab mold......what was I thinking!)

14. TheDragonGirl (Good excuse to build that slab mold I really want)

15. Mrs Spaceship (This should be easy enough...right...right??)

Sonya, where can I get the divider you are using? Did you make the wood mold or purchase it. It looks like it made 9 bar which is plenty for me. I'm going to sign up and hope I can get that liner or something similar.
I welcome all suggestions and sources. Thanks!

15. Mrs Spaceship (This should be easy enough...right...right??)
16.JuneP (hope I can get one of those molds/dividers so I can do this!)

Sonya, where can I get the divider you are using? Did you make the wood mold or purchase it. It looks like it made 9 bar which is plenty for me. I'm going to sign up and hope I can get that liner or something similar.
I welcome all suggestions and sources. Thanks!

My 9 bar came from Heritage Workshop on etsy - but they do not have one listed at the moment. Maybe you can contact them and see if they have one.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WorkshopHeritage

Brambleberry has a similar one. I thought Heritage was the supplier for BB but this one looks different.

https://www.brambleberry.com/9-Bar-Unfinished-Birchwood-Mold-P5169.aspx

The price is similar, but mine included the silicone liner you have to by the other one seperately.

https://www.brambleberry.com/Silicone-Liner-for-9-Bar-Mold-P5812.aspx

Back