SMF February 2023 Challenge - Soap Curls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't hear back from @Primrose in time, you can send the picture to me, along with anything you want to add to the post and I will get it entered (I am a challenge team member). You can send me a PM if need be. I hope everything works out for you, and I'm sorry for whatever it is you are facing.
Thank you @dibbles and @dmcgee5034 for the kind words. I’ll send you the (horrible) pics now.

@Primrose - we have just had terrible news and will be leaving out of town to take care of a family emergency.
I do have my challenge soap completed. Would it be ok to post it now, or maybe send to you in a message. I don’t think I’ll be back for a week or two.
So sorry - praying for a good outcome!

16769747842848203717014923107019.jpg

Attachments

• 16769748493875663059277558505445.jpg
    16769748493875663059277558505445.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I tried my first attempt at curls. I’m not happy with the final soap (I lost control of the cream batter and it instantly reached a thick trace), but I like the curls:
67BD80B0-CE8C-4DD3-9BE1-50C87213E350.jpeg

I scraped a blade over a bar of soap, starting thin at the beginning and cutting deeper as I reached the end, and it gave these little curls with thick tails.
I won’t be able to try again for the challenge, but wanted to share what I got 😊

I don’t even think I have enough curls to enter and I know there’s going to be some pretty great ones but I’m excited to enter for the first time so I’m throwing it in anyway. I’m sure yours would be great too.
Sorry guys, I am bowing out. I was so excited, but can’t get the soap curls right.

Awe I was hoping to see a bunch of entries. I didn't sign up for this challenge because I can't make soap curls. I looked every where in are little town for something to make them and nothing. I tried my potato peeler and I got sticks no curls lol.

Awe I was hoping to see a bunch of entries. I didn't sign up for this challenge because I can't make soap curls. I looked every where in are little town for something to make them and nothing. I tried my potato peeler and I got sticks no curls lol.
Does it depend maybe more on the soap than the tool? Or were you hoping for a specific type of curl?
My brown curls worked out pretty well, and I just used the chopping blade that comes with these kits for cutting soap, but the soap was maybe a good softness. A potato peeler also worked, giving me thin curls, like almost complete circles

Does it depend maybe more on the soap than the tool? Or were you hoping for a specific type of curl?
My brown curls worked out pretty well, and I just used the chopping blade that comes with these kits for cutting soap, but the soap was maybe a good softness. A potato peeler also worked, giving me thin curls, like almost complete circles
I think your right I read on line that the best soap for making curls is melt and poor because it makes a Softer soap I have alot of palm and coconut oil in my recipes.🙂 so I have really hard bars.

Back