SMF February 2023 Challenge - Soap Curls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having a hard time with the thickness of my soap curls…to thick and they bend and crack. Too thin and i am afraid that they will get lost in the soap.
I've run into the same issue this evening making some curls.

Also, anyone come across this type of cheese cutter locally? I've only found them online and probably should have already ordered one.
Screenshot_20230215-221347.png

Oh em geee, I agree @Catscankim and @mx5inpenn ! I forgot to warm my curl loaf before trying to peel it and curl it, perhaps that would have helped - IDK. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I said a lot of kitten loving bad words doing this one! I do have that kind of cutter in my collection and it was the best one to use compared to everything I tried that were epic fails. Mine cuts wavy but that didn’t impact the curls.
I have to say hats off to all the curl gurus because this is hard! Maybe everyone that didn’t sign up knew this already and just giggled as we signed up? 🤣😂🤣
Well played, @Primrose - a challenge, it is! 🌸
2BBA0081-5011-4EE4-9DEB-651E67C7F9DD.jpeg

I forgot to warm my curl loaf before trying to peel it and curl it, perhaps that would have helped - IDK. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I said a lot of kitten loving bad words doing this one! I do have that kind of cutter in my collection and it was the best one to use compared to everything I tried that were epic fails. Mine cuts wavy but that didn’t impact the curls.
I have to say hats off to all the curl gurus because this is hard! Maybe everyone that didn’t sign up knew this already and just giggled as we signed up? 🤣😂🤣
Well played, @Primrose - a challenge, it is! 🌸
View attachment 70934
I was using my planer and while it works, I was hoping to find something that works *better* for curls. I did order one for delivery Friday, hoping that gives me time to get everything done!

@Catscankim if they area dark color and your main soap is a light color, you will see them.
When I made a curls soap, the advice we got was to peel and curl it soon after unmolding the soap. With my recipe, that was the only way to make them without cracking. I also shaped them to the desired size ahead of time.
The one piece of advice I didn’t follow and regret it, was that you fill your mold halfway and put the curls when the consistency is right. Then you pour a fluid soap batter on top (the remaining half) to avoid air pockets. As you can see here, I got lots of empty space and air pockets inside the curls. (Most seen in close up)

Attachments

• 2D33BD65-E85B-40FD-98D5-92F33026ACD6.jpeg
    2D33BD65-E85B-40FD-98D5-92F33026ACD6.jpeg
    663.3 KB · Views: 0

1. Mx5inpenn - oooooh the possibilities
2. Catscankim - been wanting to make these
3. Nicolesica - this has been on my to-do list since Christmas
4. Mobjack - cultivated a concept, cut some cute curls, committed!
5. dmcgee5034 - I’ll give it a whirl… or a curl 😉🌸
6. The_Phoenix - It's been a few years since I've done soap curls.
7.Nanna- I’m finally going to give it a try👏😃

@Catscankim if they area dark color and your main soap is a light color, you will see them.
When I made a curls soap, the advice we got was to peel and curl it soon after unmolding the soap. With my recipe, that was the only way to make them without cracking. I also shaped them to the desired size ahead of time.
The one piece of advice I didn’t follow and regret it, was that you fill your mold halfway and put the curls when the consistency is right. Then you pour a fluid soap batter on top (the remaining half) to avoid air pockets. As you can see here, I got lots of empty space and air pockets inside the curls. (Most seen in close up)
That’s awesome soap, as always, Glenda 🥰🥰🥰
🌸

That was yours!!??? I love love love this! I almost wanted to copy/use it as an inspiration, but I knew I didn't have the patience or the skill to design it.

Beautiful

That was yours!!??? I love love love this! I almost wanted to copy/use it as an inspiration, but I knew I didn't have the patience or the skill to design it.

Beautiful
Yes, you should totally go for it, I was copying Van Gogh! It did take some time, but a printed version of the scene under the mold helps when calculating the size and placement, assuming your mold is white and somewhat translucent.

@Primrose - we have just had terrible news and will be leaving out of town to take care of a family emergency.
I do have my challenge soap completed. Would it be ok to post it now, or maybe send to you in a message. I don’t think I’ll be back for a week or two.
I hope all will be ok, @Nicolesica - sending supportive thoughts your way 🌸

@Primrose - we have just had terrible news and will be leaving out of town to take care of a family emergency.
I do have my challenge soap completed. Would it be ok to post it now, or maybe send to you in a message. I don’t think I’ll be back for a week or two.
If you don't hear back from @Primrose in time, you can send the picture to me, along with anything you want to add to the post and I will get it entered (I am a challenge team member). You can send me a PM if need be. I hope everything works out for you, and I'm sorry for whatever it is you are facing.

Back