SMF February 2022 Challenge - Ocean-Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@peachymoon Beautiful soap.

When I get that ashy, crystallized look on soap it’s usually because the soap at emulsion is a little shy of where it needs to be relative to the temperature inside or outside of the mold. That’s for my small batches, which tend to want to lose heat too fast relative to the rate of internal heat generation. It’s the biggest issue for me when I use a slab mold to make a single layer (4 bars) of soap. I usually put the mold on a heating pad and, if it gels within two hours, the soap won’t get that ashy look. With a loaf mold, you may only need to take the emulsion a tiny bit closer to trace before your pour, or you could try starting a little warmer, adding a little bit more coconut oil to the recipe, covering the mold with a heavy towel or sticking a covered mold on a heating pad. With small batches of 400-1000 g of oil, all of those strategies have worked for me. I usually stick with the heating pad because it’s easiest for me. Recently I got backed up and moved one soap to a styrofoam box after I felt it was warmed up enough from being on the heating pad. I guess it was almost warm enough. I ended up with a just a bit of that crystallized looking ash on the top surface.

@peachymoon Beautiful soap.

When I get that ashy, crystallized look on soap it’s usually because the soap at emulsion is a little shy of where it needs to be relative to the temperature inside or outside of the mold. That’s for my small batches, which tend to want to lose heat too fast relative to the rate of internal heat generation. It’s the biggest issue for me when I use a slab mold to make a single layer (4 bars) of soap. I usually put the mold on a heating pad and, if it gels within two hours, the soap won’t get that ashy look. With a loaf mold, you may only need to take the emulsion a tiny bit closer to trace before your pour, or you could try starting a little warmer, adding a little bit more coconut oil to the recipe, covering the mold with a heavy towel or sticking a covered mold on a heating pad. With small batches of 400-1000 g of oil, all of those strategies have worked for me. I usually stick with the heating pad because it’s easiest for me. Recently I got backed up and moved one soap to a styrofoam box after I felt it was warmed up enough from being on the heating pad. I guess it was almost warm enough. I ended up with a just a bit of that crystallized looking ash on the top surface.
Thank you so much! I will definitely try some of these methods. I suspected something was up with the emulsion/trace ‘cos while I was pouring the OPW, I noticed what looked like some possible separation in the blues, which weren’t apparent til that point. I could also probably leave the oven on longer to see if that helps them gel.

Which blue pigment(s) is everyone using?

I'd LOVE to use indigo, likely as vat (because I enjoy the messy clean-up afterwards so much? Or the uncertainty? Or the cumbersome preparation?). But then there is also the mind-blowing (and instantly rewarding, and non-fading, and generally less labour-intensive) palette of ultramarine pigments! And hey, they carry the ocean reference in their name already!
For my Blue pigment colors I used micas in brilliant blue’ proud peacock’ neon green not blue’ lol 😝 & to whiten I used White kaolin clay’ Pink kaolin clay for sand color along w/ lite brown mica.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...-challenge-–-ocean-inspired.87097/post-931004Wow, @Peachy Clean Soap , way to up the bar there with super-imposed photos! I'm lucky if I can post photos that are upright!
Thank you’ it’s easy just download a free app. It’s really handy. My app I use is called “Superimpose“.

Update: This is what the free app looks like I chose… 🤗💫.
Update I can superimpose but have a serious issue w/ copy & paste! Ugh lol 🙃🤣🤪

Attachments

• E3F2497F-A4CC-484D-A84E-077FFE71B509.jpeg
    E3F2497F-A4CC-484D-A84E-077FFE71B509.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 5
Welp, I'm out. I've been sidelined by a cut. It isn't a bad cut but it's on the index finger of my right hand and my husband has suggested not soaping until it's healed. I agree. Soaping with a fingertip bandage on isn't the best idea.

I look forward to seeing the final entries. Best of luck, all!
Darn it’ hope it doesn’t require suture‘s & it heals quickly 🤗😓

(Or are they all busy with splatters of blue soap off their dirty dishes? I won't tell anyone about my backlog :washingdishes: …)
I for sure am! 😂 seriously, I'd love to be less messy as I suspect my micas end up half in the soap and half on the spoon/container/microfiber cloth, it's such a shame.

I'm loving all the entries, they are brilliant. I'm ready to take a vacation now!

I had some time to trim my soap yesterday and some natural light today to take a couple pictures, so my entry soap is finally done and posted. (I kept forgetting the deadline for submission and had to check back the thread a couple times... February really is an odd month!)

@ResolvableOwl I still want to make my soap, I hope I get to. This past week was so different. We lost one of our dogs on Valentine’s to old age and disease. As I grieved it occurred to me that grief is like the ocean. Sometimes it just touches my feet like a gentle wave, and others it knocks me over like a strong wave and threatens to drown me.
Anyway, I am debating between two techniques. I might be able to try one of them today. I was going to make soap yesterday but needed to finish a home Diy project first. I look forward to seeing all the entries anyway!
There’s no emoji for care so I send my my heart ❤️

No, thankfully it isn't a deep cut. It's all the way across the finger tip, though. More annoying than anything.
Glad it’s not a deep cut’ but definitely the location can be just as painful & limiting.

I’d cut my finger & probably needed a suture or two‘ but didn’t want to chance going to the Doctor’s office & catching Covid’ this was last year in the Hyper frantic phase of covid. I’d used a butterfly closure Band-Aid 🩹 & a Finger Cover, it kept finger & band-aid secure & clean, I was shocked how well it work‘ed, each box has different sizes to choose from which is handy. I found mine at Walmart.
Take care 💫🩹🤗.

Attachments

• 1FA23D8F-D87A-48D0-B200-98E8D6D43412.jpeg
    1FA23D8F-D87A-48D0-B200-98E8D6D43412.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 6
Ugh, sorry peeps; the holiday weekend tricked me into losing a day. Somehow I thought could make my soap this afternoon, not realizing that there isn't enough time left to get it umolded, photographed, and uploaded before leaving early tomorrow for a multi-day work trip. DOH!

Although I won't be posting an entry, I'll be cheering the rest of you on. The entries to date alone are going to make this one fierce competition. 🔥🔥🔥

Ugh, sorry peeps; the holiday weekend tricked me into losing a day. Somehow I thought could make my soap this afternoon, not realizing that there isn't enough time left to get it umolded, photographed, and uploaded before leaving early tomorrow for a multi-day work trip. DOH!

Although I won't be posting an entry, I'll be cheering the rest of you on. The entries to date alone are going to make this one fierce competition. 🔥🔥🔥
Enjoy your work trip’ hope you’ll have some time for a little mini vaykay 💫🤗🌊.

Did anyone else notice that the owl's coconuts float right by the imaginary land of Magellanica/Magallanica? Apparently it's a good vaykay spot for those of us with Fernweh for fictional faraway places. I'm always learning something new on SMF.

In the real world, the entry thread for this month's challenge closes in less than 48 hours - February 24th at 11:59 GMT.

Did anyone else notice that the owl's coconuts float right by the imaginary land of Magellanica/Magallanica? Apparently it's a good vaykay spot for those of us with Fernweh for fictional faraway places. I'm always learning something new on SMF.

In the real world, the entry thread for this month's challenge closes in less than 48 hours - February 24th at 11:59 GMT.
I didn’t notice tell you brought it to our attention. Thank Ü 😉🌊🌏

Back