SMF February 2022 Challenge - Ocean-Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. dibbles - 🌊
2. AliOop - yay πŸ„πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ
3. The_Emerald_Chicken - 🐠
4. Scentimentally Yours πŸ’¦
5. Vicki C - πŸ¦‘
6. Misschief - I'll give it another go (no maritime emoji for me)
7. Kaymay- got the bug now 🧼
8. Heather McClain- 🏝
9. glendam πŸ™ I have been toying with an idea
10. peachymoon - Whale, here goes nothin'! πŸ‹
11. Catscankim πŸ–

1. dibbles - 🌊
4. Scentimentally Yours πŸ’¦
5. Vicki C - πŸ¦‘
7. Kaymay- got the bug now 🧼
8. Heather McClain- 🏝
9. glendam πŸ™ I have been toying with an idea
11. Catscankim πŸ–
12. melonpan - going with the emoji bonanza πŸ¦€

1. dibbles - 🌊
4. Scentimentally Yours - πŸ’¦
5. Vicki C - πŸ¦‘
7. Kaymay - got the bug now 🧼
8. Heather McClain - 🏝
9. glendam - πŸ™ I have been toying with an idea
11. Catscankim - πŸ–
13. ResolvableOwl - πŸ§‚

Which blue pigment(s) is everyone using?

I'd LOVE to use indigo, likely as vat (because I enjoy the messy clean-up afterwards so much? Or the uncertainty? Or the cumbersome preparation?). But then there is also the mind-blowing (and instantly rewarding, and non-fading, and generally less labour-intensive) palette of ultramarine pigments! And hey, they carry the ocean reference in their name already!

I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with for this challenge.

I didn’t mention the colorants I used for the soaps in post #1, but here are the details. The first set was colored with ultramarine blue and oxides, the whale soap with ultramarine blue and AC and the coastal ocean with micas (as I recall since I can’t seem to locate my worksheet at the moment). In case anyone is concerned about staining with ultramarine blue, the whale soap releases color onto a white washcloth, but it easily rinses out. I think at least a few of the inspiration soaps in post #2 were made with indigo. I haven’t had problems with indigo staining even when I make solid dark blue soap, but it’s good to keep in mind because YMMV.

Last edited:
Right now, I have a challenge-unrelated batch CPOP'ing in the oven. Well, not really unrelated: I used it to try out some ultramarine pigments. The β€œoriginal” ultramarine blue disappointed me a bit, it looked pale and greyish and not very appealing in the batter. My winner was the bluish violet, with a much β€œthicker” look. But I'll better wait until they're through gel phase, cooled off and a few days into cure for a definite judgment.

palette of ultramarine pigments!
grotta_azzurra.jpg
Grotta Azzurra
(I have just squeezed the remainders of the differently coloured batters into a silicone mould, didn't even bother to give them a mix previously, nor avoid bubbles.)
I'm seriously in love with that dark ultramarine violet (around the β€œgrotta” at the front side of this cube). It doesn't fit into my challenge idea, but I'll revisit it some time later for sure.

duallye_top.jpg
Chromium oxide green | Ultramarine green | Ultamarine blue | Ultamarine violet (light)

The third one was the one poured at the thinnest trace, and the one that caught the most soda ash. So much that I rubbed it off, hence the smoother surface.

I have no idea who has let a colourblind choose the name β€œultramarine green” (second soap), because that is most definitely not green, but rather the most beautiful aqua-blue colour I can imagine.

Decided for the pigments now, I'm positive that today or tomorrow will be β€œthe” day for my challenge submission. 😁

@ResolvableOwl
I’ve seen ultramarine blue (green shade), but not straight green. As a result of one of your earlier posts, I’ve been down a pigment rabbit hole that started with the Kremer website, then on to a US source for natural pigments where I stumbled across Maya Blue, which reminded me that I wanted to try making it using this seemingly easy method, link. If only I would remember to order the right kind of clay! Also wondering now if I can reduce my carbon footprint by foraging and grinding my own pigments (website), but then what to do about a trip to Turkey (ultra marinus) for lapis lazuli?

I’ve seen ultramarine blue (green shade), but not straight green.
This stuff (C.I. 77007) apparently has hardly anything to do with what I have (most likely C.I. 77013).

The Color of Art Pigment Database: Pigment Green - PG writes:
Manufactured 1828 to 1960

Mostly discontinued due to limited supply, Kremer Pigments still has watercolor pans available (05/20/18)
(likely referring to Kremer Aquarell - UltramaringrΓΌn, echt Gebrauchsfertige Farben | Kremer Pigmente Online Shop ). Seems like I'm in incredible luck to have a jar of this stuff still sitting around, from liquidation of a painter's workshop.

ETA: That maya blue aka indigo-into-clay stuff sounds and looks really compelling too! I wonder if the clay can help with the weird chemical reactivity of indigo.

1. dibbles - 🌊
4. Scentimentally Yours - πŸ’¦
5. Vicki C - πŸ¦‘
7. Kaymay - got the bug now 🧼
8. Heather McClain - 🏝
9. glendam - πŸ™ I have been toying with an idea
11. Catscankim - πŸ–
13. ResolvableOwl - πŸ§‚
14. @Zing , going to my happy place on the sands of Hawai'i on this sub-zero degree F day in Minnesota.

I unmolded and cut my challenge soap today and breathed a sigh of relief. Of course, I have my quibbles, but given that I used a new technique and poured at barely an emulsion, I am pleased beyond all get out. Good luck, everyone!

Which blue pigment(s) is everyone using?

I'd LOVE to use indigo, likely as vat (because I enjoy the messy clean-up afterwards so much? Or the uncertainty? Or the cumbersome preparation?). But then there is also the mind-blowing (and instantly rewarding, and non-fading, and generally less labour-intensive) palette of ultramarine pigments! And hey, they carry the ocean reference in their name already!
For those using essential oils, just a caution that colored eos (lemongrass, bergamot) can turn blue colorants greenish which may or may not be what you want.

Good luck, everyone!
πŸ˜‘
Salt bar time yesterday. Learned the hard way that you shall put in the salt NO EARLER than obvious trace. After over half an hour of constant stirring, I resorted to the stick blender. Still it took another 20 minutes + two more SB pulses to reach a point where the salt didn't just sink to the bottom within mere seconds.
But actually I liked what the SB torture did to the salt. A smoother, more transparent and less β€œscratchy” look (didn't like so much the extra air bubbles). Let's see how it turns out.

6. A photo of one (1) bar of soap from your batch is required to enter.
Sorry for nitpicking, but no matter how carefully a rule is written, it isn't safe from ambiguous interpretation by β€œcreative minds”. πŸ™„

Submission photograph of exactly one, or at least one bar?

My original design idea works best with three bars or more. I could pick one for the official submission, but I'd really prefer to have this extra flexibility here.

ETA: No fear, it won't be the manta ray (mirror symmetry as a design element).

ETAΒ²: πŸ€”

Latest posts

Back