SMF February 2021 Challenge Entry Thread - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post your entry photos here. You have until February 24 at 11:59 GMT to submit your entry, so there is still plenty of time (please note - the closing date and time is GMT - a quick Google search will help you convert to your own time zone).

As a reminder, this thread is for entry photos only. Please post all comments in the general challenge thread.

Edit for clarity: entry photo must show at least two bars of soap, but you may include as many from the same batch as you would like.

Good luck everyone - I can't wait to see your creations!

Last edited:
DA2653F8-03DD-42AD-BE2C-8BEC21E4051A.jpeg
Might as well get this over with.

This was my fourth attempt. My first one was way too fluid when I poured it. My second and third attempts were nice but they comprised three colors and I wanted to achieve a wispy look.

For my fourth attempt I added another divider. At the last minute, I stuck a third piece of cardboard into the mold and played around with the spacing. I dragged my skewer through the red after the interior and perimeter swirls per dibble’s note.

Satisfied, I mixed my
colors:
* BB’s Kermit Green w/td.
* EBB’s Nebula Blue and Faded Blue Jeans.
* NS’s Natural Gray.
* NS’s My Red Obsession and a wee bit MM’s Tall Dark and Handsome.
* And finally, BB’s Buttercup w/td.

Scented with 80/20 OT’s Bonsai and Absolutely Awesome Oak Moss.

Last edited:
This is my 3rd attempt and the only one that actually resembles a Taiwan Swirl. Used Yellow Cupcake, Eyeshadow Blue and Pink Watermellon. I thought about using some white and inretrospect wish I had but I'm not unhappy with the result. Scented with White Tea & Pear.

Hope it's ok... changed the background on my photo to make it pop more - (same photo as before).

Attachments

• Taiwan3c-removebg-preview.png
    Taiwan3c-removebg-preview.png
    242.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
My second attempt...my first one was very muted because I used plant colors instead of micas. This one I absolutelyyyyyy love however I don’t think I’m doing this again anytime soon. So much cleanup. This is scented with spearmint and eucalyptus essential oils and colored with activated charcoal, Micas from Nurture soaps Klein blue (With a little Lime appeal) and Lime Appeal. How do we pick just two bars??

Attachments

• 84907EA0-D4DE-420B-9A09-8730EA41D7A3.jpeg
    84907EA0-D4DE-420B-9A09-8730EA41D7A3.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 79
I did 4 attempts. I am entering my second. I used Mad Micas colors. Blue Tide, Grape Nehi, and Ballet Slippers along with TD. It’s scented with Eucalyptus and Peppermint EOs. I’ll post my other 3 in the sign up thread. I was happy with them all, but this one pleased my eye the best. I’m happy that @dibbles chose this technique as I hadn’t done it in a long time and It was the push I needed to try more. Thank you @dibbles for hosting!
ED94470C-8DCC-4B16-8727-A21D1F7FA33F.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_20210218_194004__01.jpg

IMG_20210216_175227.jpg

Here's my entry despite my hubby's attempts to thwart it. I used WSP Cedar Bean fragrance, and Micas & More Ruby Rose, Apple Green, and Plum. I circled the outer edge 5 times, but I should have done more as it didn't pull the middle as much as the top.

This was fun, my first time trying a Taiwan swirl, mine is colored with ultramarine blue and violet, titanium dioxide, and chrome oxide. There was also part of each colored batter that had charcoal added, my intention was to make a shaded side of each swirl, but it didn’t quite work. I’m hoping to do another attempt this weekend.
Oh and it is scented with litsea and bergamot.
ETA I realized that the bottom and top are fun to see too, so I swapped the photo.
560860FA-D501-4767-86D4-FBE4FEE8C7C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s my entry, which is scented with a blend of citrus and mint FOs. The white that I added with a squeeze bottle, shows up best on the top. The bottom reminds me of feathers. I haven’t figured out how to get my background whiter, so please just ignore that. ETA: I replaced the photo with a new one after finding a way to make the background less brown without changing the color of the soap.

FF1013A6-41A9-4A84-A4A1-9882EAE78093.jpeg

Last edited:
My theme was "Love, wine and chocolate" and I had my dear Rossnyev in mind. The brown is colored with chocolate, the white uncolored. Wine and vegetable food coloring surprisingly made a lovely purpley wine color, but since I tarried on deciding, the part colored with wine soon turned to beige. Well, it's fitting because while I prefer a nice red, Ross prefers white. My sister not of the womb, or adoption, but of circumstance, first as a roommate then a sister. I said as much in my speech at her wedding, so that makes it so. For a time we'd meet almost weekly at a place called "The Grape and Bean" for half a glass of wine and some chocolate, solving all the world's problems and sometimes our own. The cliche little sister who is prettier and wiser, always avidly encouraging my strengths and lovingly admonishing my weaknesses. Now many states apart, we remain sisters. If you will indulge me, I've included my favorite pic of us - at a volcano in Nicaragua (she's the serious looking one on the right because, you know, we're on the rim of a volcano...). I know it's not an award winning soap, but my heart is in it and I had fun in the making, and that's what it's all about! Cheers and chocolate to you, Ross (and watch out for those longhorns!)! Sorry for the long write-up...

IMG_8763.JPG

nicaragua_nov023.jpg

This is my entry, it was my second and messiest attempt! I used clays (kaolin & pink), activated charcoal and green tea powder for my colors. The fragrance is Sandalwood and Eucalyptus from WSP. Because the batter was so thick and I didn’t think the swirl worked I ended with a pull down the middle just because. I think that is why I like it so much!
And FYI, just as I had my three soap attempts together and my pretty background ready for pictures my power went out! So I had to move outside to my much needed to be weeded front yard! The pictures are in a very natural state! Lol!
B6D17020-55F7-4601-AC15-E649AEE18A5F.jpeg

TCS #5, FOs Caribbean Escape and Mystical Woods from WSP.
Micas from Mad Micas: Bright Yellow Taxicab, Flirt, King Tut, Lettuce Entertain You, Midnight, Poppycock, and Pow Pow Purple
Micas from Nurture Soap: Peacock, Sparkling Snowflake, and Winter White

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_095521.jpg
    IMG_20210221_095521.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 32
Posting this as my entry so I don't forget and miss the deadline. I might try one more tonight, haven't decided.

The colors are TD, Blackberry and Iris Purple from NS. The blackberry morphs to gray/black...or stays purple. I haven't decided what the morphing factor is LOL. Sometimes it looks purple, sometimes it looks black. The smell is lavender EO. I used a skewer for the swirl.

Circling Taiwan Entry.jpg

Back