SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, I did 5 tries, I think, 6 over the last 5 weeks. I can't actually remember them all. To be fair, they were all different recipes that I was planning to make anyways. Except for the one that I just did to use ingredients I didn't want, and hated the results so much (aside from fragrance and design) that I threw it out and used the design in a different, new recipe. It was my entry.

I did three tries, and the second one was so bad that I blocked it out of my mind ... but when I logged into the SMF calculator, it showed recipes for SMF Feb Challenge 1 and SMF Feb Challenge 2. I honestly had to wrack my brain to remember what #2 even looked like - that's how quickly I washed it out and went on to the next one.

Which is so funny, because when I make one I like, I can't leave it alone. I'm in the soap room checking on it several times a day (like it is going to wander off??) till the next favorite batch comes out of the mold.

ETA: I agree, @The_Phoenix your soaps were beautiful! And so were yours, @Vicki C! Other than the one soap that I picked as my favorite, there were EIGHT others that vied for spots 2 and 3 - and yours were both in there!
Yay - I'm not the only one!! 😆
Checking on my soaps is a part-time job! The TS top is soooo stunning to look at, right? How can you not look! Normally, the inside of a soap holds all of the mystery. But the soap top of a TS? *wolf whistle* It's bee-yoo-tee-fool.

Congratulations to everyone, stunning soaps!

I'm very late to the party (I was planning to do this outside of the challenge due to not meeting requirements) as I had an unexpected busy month and only managed to do my first circling Taiwan swirl yesterday. As someone else said in the thread, it was definitely a team effort! I had to ask my partner to keep the dividers down and pour with me haha. Quite a funny one.

My batter was definitely too thin (in hindsight I should have brought it to a light trace but I was worried it would have thickened up fast!) and I think the colours kind of mixed together. But the good side was that the recipe behaved well, I was so pleased that even using two clays and EOs, the batter didn't thicken too much.

It's just resting in the mold so I'll wait for the cut (I can see a layer of soda ash forming, agh) and definitely try this again!

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_135711140.jpg
    IMG_20210227_135711140.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'll take a pass on the trophy--one less thing to dust, clean, organize, and brag about.

Seriously, I had a LOT of fun with this challenge. My very first crack at Taiwan Swirl was enjoyable and gave me a feeling of accomplishment. Heck, I pulled off three dividers and five colors! 😅

P.S. I still haven't cleaned off the dividers.
I've wrapped my soap deviders in Plastic Wrap' unrolled easy peezy' 😉🧼💫

I put forth four tries, too, @SPowers . After the first, it felt like a compulsion.
Your color choices were inspired! Really, something else.
Yay - I'm not the only one!! 😆
Uh, doesn't everybody? I don't know about you all, but my soaps need strict supervision -- especially in those crucial first 48 hours.

Is it a bad sign that I am already eagerly awaiting the next challenge?

Of course not! I will be hosting the March Challenge. I believe I will be posting it on Tuesday, as Monday is too full of other things on my personal agenda.

Here's a hint: You will be using a base soap, overwhich you will pour your palette. Therefore I have decided that it is okay to use a previously made soap for the base (under the palette you will create) or you can make it all this month. That's all I will hint at at the moment.

Here's a hint: You will be using a base soap, overwhich you will pour your palette. Therefore I have decided that it is okay to use a previously made soap for the base (under the palette you will create) or you can make it all this month. That's all I will hint at at the moment.
tenor.gif

Of course not! I will be hosting the March Challenge. I believe I will be posting it on Tuesday, as Monday is too full of other things on my personal agenda.

Hmm... Well, I'm off to search the internets for acrylic pour techniques. Just in case the knowledge comes in handy at some point in the near future for some reason.

That sounds almost like something a beginner could try? Or maybe not! Lol.

(Starts maniacally googling “pouring over base soap...” 🤔)

Back