SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made two more attempts but I think I’ll stick with my original in the entry thread. First was made with ultramarine, chrome oxide, iron oxide, and beta carotene, scented with sage and lemongrass. Second was all natural colorants- rhubarb root, annatto, and alkanet, scented with cardamom and lavender. Feel like I was getting the hang of the swirling by the end.

View attachment 54376View attachment 54377

Really great colors in the top one! I love Taiwan Swirls!

I cut my 1st batch this morning @ 4:30 am & thought I'd like to try one more time, so quickly adjusted my recipe & made batch #2 it's wrapped up getting happy' I'll cut latter this evening I'll have barley enough time. this challenge has been fun fun fun. to be continued. 🤣🧼💫
Who knew soaping could bring so much joy to one's life?! 🧼🌻
Just to make sure that you are figuring your deadline time correctly, the entry thread closes TODAY at 11:59 GMT. For me, in the US central time zone, that is 6 PM today. I think it’s probably 4 PM today for you. So enter what you have ready by then.

Just curious, is it possible to do Taiwan Swirl with M&P? Has anyone tried?

BTW, saw all the pics in entry thread, so beautiful. Hoping I can try these in few months(CP Newbie here).

I don’t think it would be a swirl that could be accomplished with M&P very easily. But there are some amazingly talented people out there who do things with it that I marvel at so who knows!

Last edited:
@Vicki C, those colors are amazing! Would you please tell me about that red in your naturally colored swirl? Was that the anatto? Rhubarb? Does it stay that color over time?

Both your recently posted soaps are truly lovely.
Thank you luluzapcat! The red is rhubarb, yellow annatto, and blue is of course alkanet. It’s odd, I thought alkanet changes to a more purple color but this soap is superfatted at 7% and still blue. Maybe will change as it cures. The rhubarb is new to me, only the second time I have used it, and it has been steeping for 3 months so it came out quite a bit darker than the first time I tried it. Curious to see if it turns brown, but it was really bright red at the pour. I’ve been having trouble with annatto making my soap crumbly lately and I can’t figure out why. I strained it in case there were particulates, but it’s still sort of crumbly.

Here are the pours of both soaps and the natural colorants, along with what the rhubarb look like when steeping. So, it’s similar to turmeric, starts yellow, trends pink / red in soap. The light is bad in the natural colorant one, it was brighter than it appears.
7B0D2A07-D331-42B4-8CB8-8102E3CCA767.jpegA2F1E2D2-6AD3-4404-A8E9-EEF3B038E610.jpegE4A59319-C422-40BF-8532-95332D8E4015.jpegC5464467-00AD-476A-A033-DF1F97F5AF3F.jpeg

I showed my daughter the entry thread and had her pick her favorite. Of course, after she picked, I said, "What do you think of this one?" And pointed to mine. She looked at me and smirked. Ah, teenagers, gotta love 'em.

But at least I now know that she DOES pay attention to what I do because she knew which one was mine. 🤪

Taiwan Circlers: Forgive me if I posted this already. It's hard to describe surfaces because of the weird way it's cut. These descriptions are referred to a loaf that is UNcut: My swirl looked great on the top of the loaf and the middle of the loaf. However the bottom of the loaf didn't move much. I hope that made sense. I used a chopstick. Any advice on how to avoid this in the future? Thanks!

*sigh* I won't be able to make the deadline. I just haven't had the time or the energy to try another batch.
Yes, *sigh* of relief that you're not entering, the competition already is overwhelming!! :) Oh wait, sorry, I just remembered this isn't cut-throat. Too much "Forged In Fire" t.v. for me. Seriously, @Misschief, try it for kicks and giggles. It was a bit stressful in the moment, but the results are amazing.

@Zing, I think it is pretty normal for the bottom to be less swirly.

Edit because that wasn't maybe too helpful - trying a bigger swirling tool might give you better swirls on the bottom, but then your overall swirl is likely to be chunkier too. Maybe waiting for a thicker trace? I guess as long as the middles were pretty, I was okay with it.

Taiwan Circlers: Forgive me if I posted this already. It's hard to describe surfaces because of the weird way it's cut. These descriptions are referred to a loaf that is UNcut: My swirl looked great on the top of the loaf and the middle of the loaf. However the bottom of the loaf didn't move much. I hope that made sense. I used a chopstick. Any advice on how to avoid this in the future? Thanks!

Yes, *sigh* of relief that you're not entering, the competition already is overwhelming!! :) Oh wait, sorry, I just remembered this isn't cut-throat. Too much "Forged In Fire" t.v. for me. Seriously, @Misschief, try it for kicks and giggles. It was a bit stressful in the moment, but the results are amazing.
Making sure the top and bottom of the swirling tool are the same width ( no pointed or rounded edges) are as good as it gets when it comes to that. The bottom of the mold also holds onto the soap, and you would have to somehow overcome the drag of all that surface area to get a perfectly uniform swirl. I've chosen to plane the bottom of the loaf off because I want both sides of my bars to be uniform.

However the bottom of the loaf didn't move much. I hope that made sense. I used a chopstick. Any advice on how to avoid this in the future? Thanks!
I used a popsicle stick and a wider crafting popsicle stick in a couple of my attempts and cut the rounded bottom off for a flat full contact swirling tool after I think @AliOop suggested it earlier in this post. My bottoms where still a little muddy but only required one slide on the planer to reveal the pretty swirl as opposed to 2 or 3...

Oh, I've tried it. My one try was less than stellar and I've already posted it earlier in this thread. I will try it again at some point.

Not by any means an expert with M&P, but the colors would all have to stay both distinct from each other and fluid while being swirled. I think it would be very challenging, but if you attempt it, let us know how it went.
I have tried normal swirls twice, first was a fail, all mixed together and made to one color. Second time was more of success, still need improvements. I will definitely try CT Swirl with M&P and post here, once I have bettered my swirling techniques.

Attaching my second attempt at swirling, used pink & white, not much distinct, but, didnt melt into a single color like earlier.

IMG_20210219_234116516.jpg

I don’t think it would be a swirl that could be accomplished with M&P very easily. But there are some amazingly talented people out there who do things with it that I marvel at so who knows!
Ok, I will google if anyone had done it. I was just curious, if anyone from our forum had tried it yet.

Back