SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made three of these. I love this technique, so thank you for this challenge @dibbles !!

I was all set to use one of the first two that I made, but then I made another last night, so I am now torn between THOSE two, LOL. But here is one that I am definitely not using. It was my first one.
View attachment 54176

Love these colors!

I love seeing what everyone has created. Here are my non entry soaps. They were my first third and fourth try. I ultimately decided to enter my second. Picking colors is such a tough decision for me with this technique.
94D3FA02-57E2-4F54-BEA0-072A447706BB.jpeg
0DA0BE68-A101-40D1-A4FF-7D31180D351E.jpeg
1F848810-88FF-4249-B5BC-77CD7F12A414.jpeg

Just put my third attempt in the oven... I left out the fragrance oil this time and what a difference. Poured so much better! Not as messy! The only thing that sucked was that it was so fluid my dividers kept floating outta the mold every time I took my hand off it! The top still looks pretty, but I guess will see what the cut looks like! I’m liking the colors too! Fingers crossed! This was sooo much fun!

I too have really enjoyed learning this technique. Plenty of ITPs (is that the right term for doing a swirl in the pot and then pouring??), Hangers and "diving/drop pours" (not sure what this one's called...), done in the past, but never a from the top swirl through the whole loaf. I am loving the design and the way you sort of know what you're going to get, unlike other swirls where you really have no clue until you cut, but there's still a nice level of mystery. As a few said, my first "blah-hahaha" attempt really was better than I thought after the cut, which was a pleasant surprise. Thanks for hosting and organizing the challenge, @dibbles !!

P.S. I am in "analysis paralysis" mode in trying to decide which of my attempts to enter.

The only thing that sucked was that it was so fluid my dividers kept floating outta the mold every time I took my hand off it!
Severl YouTubers use rubber bands around the mold and dividers to hold the dividers down. If I get the chance to make another batch, I will definitely try this!

There are so many high achievers on here! And people posting their "rejects"! If the rejects aren't good enough for the entry thread, I'm intimidated to see what does get entered! I'm still hoping for that participation trophy. Everyone is doing such a fantastic job. I'll tell you a secret: For the challenges, I make one attempt (not 2, 3, 4, 5!!) and if it passes muster, I enter it. I still laugh about my dancing funnel fiasco which I probably should have entered just to give others a confidence boost! LOL.
1613771787698.png
I'm not brave enough to try this, but I love all the results! So cool!
Come on, @maryloucb! Do it! All the cool kids are doing it!

Here’s another soap I made using a palm-based recipe that always gives me fits. The colors are from indigo, annatto and a little AC. I’m happy and relieved that they turned out a planned. I think I could have taken the emulsion on this one just a tiny bit further. It’s scented with an EO blend of litsea, peppermint and eucalyptus.

Thanks @dibbles for sponsoring! I never thought I would make a CTS, but I’m glad I tried it and also very happy with my new little mold that make 6 bars. I may even buy another one without the dividers.

I had a loooonnnnggg week at work, but was able to quickly scroll through the amazing soaps being posted. I look forward to taking a longer look tonight.

5BF1DF83-5D27-46E1-AD9D-2A29BCAC3960.jpeg

The reject batches. From left to right, in order: #1 (the blahahahah bar - not so bad!), #3 ( I have no idea what happened there LOL), #5, & #6 (batch #2 seized on me and found itself in the soap dough bucket for its bad attitude 😆 ).
The heart on #5 was a scrape out - too bad the colors mottled together. Proved to be too stressful! Batches #5 and #6, and my entry, were done without dividers. So much less mess! In the end I was using condiment bottles for the pour, and found that a chopstick or thermometer end/prongy/thingy worked best for me (also tried stir stick, plastic homemade stick, skewer, doubled up skewer - LOL). #1 used Tree Marie's method of a line of stir sticks taped together to make the initial up/down, but it made the swirls too thin and dainty for me. How oh how y'all are getting such beautiful and clean lines is a mystery to me, but I'm so hooked on this design that Imma gonna keepun practicing fer afair bit.

Attachments

• IMG_8767.JPG
    IMG_8767.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 36
The reject batches. From left to right, in order: #1 (the blahahahah bar - not so bad!), #3 ( I have no idea what happened there LOL), #5, & #6 (batch #2 seized on me and found itself in the soap dough bucket for its bad attitude 😆 ).
The heart on #5 was a scrape out - How oh how y'all are getting such beautiful and clean lines is a mystery to me, but I'm so hooked on this design that Imma gonna keepun practicing fer afair bit.
You just made my day! Keepin' it real, KimW! I needed that.

So after a 3rd attempt, I posted my entry... I went with my second try. They are just my all time favorite color combo.

Everyone else I asked always liked my first try better & it is a pretty bar.
0B384BA0-1C46-4819-8471-C017533858D6.jpeg
My last attempt was ok... my orange ended up a creamy yellow after gelling. And for some reason the salt didn’t dissolve in my lye solution. So the soap had mad spots.
B42D7116-3152-45F6-BC2E-5D4740AC68AB.jpeg
Still, a very challenging and learning experience!

on my second and final attempt. My first one was "ok" so it might be a contender lol.

Anyway...I have started smooshing my TD in a baggie with some oil with success to get rid of boogers. But my first challenge attempt had a few big boogers in it that I couldn't get rid of. So I decided to chop it out before I even added the oil. I said to myself out loud that I look like a drug dealer that has mounds of cocaine. Well alexa heard me LOL She didn't respond, as i didn't say Alexa first, but she dinged and listened for a couple of seconds. I'm like "oh great, alexa thinks I do drugs" LOL. I'm. like Alexa nooooo, its TD!

So let it be known, that if I go missing for a sh*t ton of "cocaine" that I was chopping up, someone be my witness that it was Titanium Dioxide LOL LOL.
Oh thats funny' Alexis is always listing' not to worry we got your back' just in case. 🤣😂😛.

There are so many high achievers on here! And people posting their "rejects"! If the rejects aren't good enough for the entry thread, I'm intimidated to see what does get entered! I'm still hoping for that participation trophy. Everyone is doing such a fantastic job. I'll tell you a secret: For the challenges, I make one attempt (not 2, 3, 4, 5!!) and if it passes muster, I enter it. I still laugh about my dancing funnel fiasco which I probably should have entered just to give others a confidence boost! LOL.
View attachment 54205

Come on, @maryloucb! Do it! All the cool kids are doing it!
I love your idea of reject batches. Nothing worse than waiting to cut into the mold and finding the bloody colours haven’t migrated 🙄

1. jcandleattic - hopefully will have time to do this one.
2. Misschief - been wanting to do this again for a while
3. KimW - One I've been wanting to try! Yippeeeee
4. GemstonePony - I love this swirl!
5. DKing - I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up with
6. catscankim - been wanting to learn this one!
7. AMD - I've been wanting to get "around" to doing this technique again
8. violets2217 - Gonna face my fears! This Challenge and the swirl! Plus, gives me another reason to make soap I don't need.
9. SideDoorSoaps - I’ve had dividers for awhile; I should try this!
10. Vicki C - never tried this but have watched plenty of videos - mesmerizing!
11. linne1gi - I’ve done this before, but not well! I’d like to be better.
12. The_Emerald_Chicken - Was excited to see this swirl as the monthly challenge!
13. Louise Taylor. Never tried this technique and always wanted to try.
14. Mobjack - I’m in.
15. S Powers - this has never been my fave design but I love the extra swirl action
16. Jersey Girl- Haven’t done one of these in a long time but have been meaning to. Perfect excuse for some experimenting!
17. Guspuppy - need to make soap to test FOs anyway and have wanted to try this!
18. The_Phoenix - *tap* *tap* *tap* Is this thing on? Can...can you hear me? I’m not a cat. Can you...can you see my swirl?
19. Zing
20. TashaBird - Am I doing this right?
21. AliOop - wasn't positive that I was going to make an entry this time, but I'm in now.

Latest posts

Back