SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Reaction score
Thank you @dibbles for hosting and for everyone who participated. This was a fun challenge! And a big congratulations to @The_Emerald_Chicken and @Mobjack Bay! There were so many gorgeous soaps in this challenge that it was truly hard to pick just three. So much talent in this group! ♥️

SPowers

Reaction score
Everyone has voted, so I won't make you wait until tomorrow :)

First Place: The_Emerald_Chicken
Second Place: Jersey Girl
Third Place: Mobjack Bay

Congrats to the winners, and to everyone who entered. The soaps were outstanding! You all get a participation trophy.

I loved the first prize entry (which I voted for) but would loved to have seen it photographed like the others to see the pattern they form together.

Reaction score
Everyone has voted, so I won't make you wait until tomorrow :)

First Place: The_Emerald_Chicken
Second Place: Jersey Girl
Third Place: Mobjack Bay

Congrats to the winners, and to everyone who entered. The soaps were outstanding! You all get a participation trophy.
Congrats to the winners! So many entries and so many posts about experiences and hints, this one really generated a lot of energy and interest. Can't wait for my trophy to come!!!

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
Can't wait for my trophy to come!!!
I'll take a pass on the trophy--one less thing to dust, clean, organize, and brag about.

Seriously, I had a LOT of fun with this challenge. My very first crack at Taiwan Swirl was enjoyable and gave me a feeling of accomplishment. Heck, I pulled off three dividers and five colors! 😅

P.S. I still haven't cleaned off the dividers.

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
I loved the first prize entry (which I voted for) but would loved to have seen it photographed like the others to see the pattern they form together.
Here's a quick pic I just took :) Sorry the colors don't show up quite right.
20210227_212835.jpg

SPowers

Reaction score
I'll take a pass on the trophy--one less thing to dust, clean, organize, and brag about.

Seriously, I had a LOT of fun with this challenge. My very first crack at Taiwan Swirl was enjoyable and gave me a feeling of accomplishment. Heck, I pulled off three dividers and five colors! 😅

P.S. I still haven't cleaned off the dividers.

That is definitely the right attitude! My first challenge and I have to be happy that I even felt comfortable to actually enter! I do have to learn when to quit though - 4 tries overall - guess my friends will be getting a lot of gifts in the near future. ;)

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
That is definitely the right attitude! My first challenge and I have to be happy that I even felt comfortable to actually enter! I do have to learn when to quit though - 4 tries overall - guess my friends will be getting a lot of gifts in the near future. ;)
Well, I did cry on my husband's shoulder for a few hours before I managed to muster up the humility to congratulate everyone. I'm kidding, of course--I only cried for a few minutes.

I put forth four tries, too, @SPowers . After the first, it felt like a compulsion.

I think the reason I didn't clean off the divers (at least subconsciously) was to prevent myself from attempting it a fifth. Can't do another TS if my tools are a mess, now can I? This is also why I posted my soap as soon as possible. I'm actually really competitive and knew that if I waited until everyone posted theirs, it would have impacted any subsequent batches. I didn't feel comfortable with that. I prefer to be driven by my creativity and not tainted by that of others.

It's no coincidence that I made chocolate chip cookies today.

Reaction score
Well, I did cry on my husband's shoulder for a few hours before I managed to muster up the humility to congratulate everyone. I'm kidding, of course--I only cried for a few minutes.

I put forth four tries, too, @SPowers . After the first, it felt like a compulsion.

I think the reason I didn't clean off the divers (at least subconsciously) was to prevent myself from attempting it a fifth. Can't do another TS if my tools are a mess, now can I? This is also why I posted my soap as soon as possible. I'm actually really competitive and knew that if I waited until everyone posted theirs, it would have impacted any subsequent batches. I didn't feel comfortable with that. I prefer to be driven by my creativity and not tainted by that of others.

It's no coincidence that I made chocolate chip cookies today.
Your soap was stunning. Truly, you made a masterpiece. I hope they were congratulatory cookies, not consolation cookies!

Reaction score
I did three tries, and the second one was so bad that I blocked it out of my mind ... but when I logged into the SMF calculator, it showed recipes for SMF Feb Challenge 1 and SMF Feb Challenge 2. I honestly had to wrack my brain to remember what #2 even looked like - that's how quickly I washed it out and went on to the next one.

Which is so funny, because when I make one I like, I can't leave it alone. I'm in the soap room checking on it several times a day (like it is going to wander off??) till the next favorite batch comes out of the mold.

ETA: I agree, @The_Phoenix your soaps were beautiful! And so were yours, @Vicki C! Other than the one soap that I picked as my favorite, there were EIGHT others that vied for spots 2 and 3 - and yours were both in there!

Latest posts