SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, GemstonePony for all the tips. I have never done a swirl like this and would love to try if my colors get here in time. I think I may have been here long enough, I will look before I leap, but I don't want to fall flat on my face either!

Top looks decent on Try #3, which is now on the heating pad inside the insulating bag. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Many thanks to @Mobjack Bay for recommending the small mold with dividers. The whole experience was so much better! I also used the long-snouted pouring pitchers instead of condiment bottles. The bottles did give more control over where the batter landed, but they created so much stress for me: first getting them loaded up, and then reloading mid-stream. The pouring pitchers created a few dribbles here and there, but overall were much more low-key. I need low-key when I soap. Can I get a witness??

One thing I did differently tonight: after dispersing my micas in a bit of oil in the bottom of the pouring pitchers, I added fragrance to each pouring pitcher. Then all I had to do was divide my batter and hand-stir each cup.

But my soaping adventure wouldn't be complete without some silliness on my part. When it was time to pull out the dividers, I was pulling and pulling on the end pieces, which wouldn't budge. My hands were getting greasy, my batter was getting pretty thick, and I was starting to panic. Can't swirl till the dividers come out! Stop, take a deep breath, think.

Oh yeah, I need to pull out each individual divider section, instead of trying to pull out two end pieces and three dividers as if they were one piece. DOH! 🤪

TCS # 4 "Chocolate Romance" fragrance of Chocolate Lavender from WSP and Earth Meets Sky from NS. Back and forth swirl done with wide popsicle-stick (tongue depressor), circling done with regular popsicle stick. I love it, but I was concerned it wasn't typical enough of the results to read as a correctly done swirl.

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_100453.jpg
    IMG_20210221_100453.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 11
TCS # 4 "Chocolate Romance" fragrance of Chocolate Lavender from WSP and Earth Meets Sky from NS. Back and forth swirl done with wide popsicle-stick (tongue depressor), circling done with regular popsicle stick. I love it, but I was concerned it wasn't typical enough of the results to read as a correctly done swirl.

I don’t think there would be any doubt this was done correctly. It’s lovely.

If you squint while looking at the arrangement of your soaps, it looks like an angered kabuki character. I love the movement of the colors.

My third try by running a skewer down the middle, and using a bigger swirling tool. I like the color combo, I just wish the swirl came out a little better.
I'd give you some helpful tips if I were not locked up in a federal detention facility due to being reported by an anonymous person on this forum. AHEM.

Posting a reminder that the entry thread closes tomorrow (2/24/21) at 11:59 GMT. Link to the entry thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...read-circling-taiwan-swirl.82966/#post-875229
I cannot tell you how blown away I am by the entries. You have done an outstanding job - all of you - and your soaps are stunning. I hope everyone has a fancy dish for their fancy soap! Voting will not be easy this month - good luck to all!

Latest posts

Back