SMF February 2021 Challenge - Circling Taiwan Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my thought about it when I first saw them. You have to be very careful when handling them I imagine. Someone else must make something similar that is sturdier. I may just have to do some research!
I originally bought it for my lye solution, but since I felt it was too flimsy, I just have it hanging around. I’ll probably ditch it since we will be moving in the fall, and I am now trying to get rid of unnecessary items that I will have to pack.

I originally bought it for my lye solution, but since I felt it was too flimsy, I just have it hanging around. I’ll probably ditch it since we will be moving in the fall, and I am now trying to get rid of unnecessary items that I will have to pack.
Good know. I’ve looked at them too.

Yeah...I definitely wouldn’t trust it with lye solution. That’s an accident waiting to happen!

I like my OXO silicone cups for beeswax-heavy balms because once it cools it just chips right out. I could also see them working for some batter applications, but that's about it, I think.

@dibbles With this technique I prefer the surfaces facing the top and the bottom planed off. Is this allowed for the bars in the entry photos? Or should I pick my bars, take my pictures, and then process them as usual?

@dibbles With this technique I prefer the surfaces facing the top and the bottom planed off. Is this allowed for the bars in the entry photos? Or should I pick my bars, take my pictures, and then process them as usual?
I don't see a problem with planing the soaps - the center cut is essentially the 'new' tops of the bars.

I like my OXO silicone cups for beeswax-heavy balms because once it cools it just chips right out. I could also see them working for some batter applications, but that's about it, I think.
Oh. My. Lord. I think you and @Jersey Girl just changed my life. I love making lotion bars but hate hate hate cleaning up beeswax from Pyrex. Seriously. Changed my life. Bless you.

I have a couple of those silicone pitchers (500 ml and 250 ml, Zuyee brand on Amazon) and agree with @GemstonePony that they’re great for melting and mixing anything with beeswax. I wouldn’t call mine flimsy, but they are flexible, which seems risky with lye. I think the smaller one would work for pouring batter as long as it stayed clean and dry on the outside. In my experience, silicone gets a bit slippery when “wet” with batter. The larger one would probably be too big for pouring relative to the size of my hand. I feel more confident of my grip when I’m using a pitcher with a handle or a small paper cup (4 or 8 oz size).

I have a couple of those silicone pitchers (500 ml and 250 ml, Zuyee brand on Amazon) and agree with @GemstonePony that they’re great for melting and mixing anything with beeswax. I wouldn’t call mine flimsy, but they are flexible, which seems risky with lye. I think the smaller one would work for pouring batter as long as it stayed clean and dry on the outside. In my experience, silicone gets a bit slippery when “wet” with batter. The larger one would probably be too big for pouring relative to the size of my hand. I feel more confident of my grip when I’m using a pitcher with a handle or a small paper cup (4 or 8 oz size).
Yes, exactly!

Cut and beveled attempt 4, cleaned up attempt 3. Here's an inglorious picture of attempt 2, which had fragrance pockets. It's a fail on the useable soap scale, but the swirl turned out better than I thought.

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_215738_01.jpg
    IMG_20210213_215738_01.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 39
Great minds...lol. I also do it with my FO. I use a lot of hard oils so I figure it’s better to have it warmed a bit as to not cool down the oils too fast and possibly get a false trace. I also always have a container of hot water near when I’m soaping and I pop my stick blender in there for a few seconds to warm it up as well. Then I use it when I’m done to clean the stick blender with a few blitzes. It helps with cleanup.

I love it when people who are smarter than me post their good ideas. Thanks Jersey Girl!

Latest posts

Back