SMF February 2020 challenge - Ione swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone estimated the proportions of batter Ione is using for base versus accent colors in the video, or know how much oil her mold holds? I think I’m using too much of the accent colors.
I've been wondering about that too! on my first attempt, I colored 3/8 of my batch and it was a bit too much, but on my second try I only did 1/4 and there was way too little color in there.. so I guess I'll try 5/16 next time? Aargh..

If I had to guess (and what I did for my three attempts... I may try a 4th attempt tonight... we'll see...) I would say that 75% of her batter is her base, the remainder split up between the accent colors. I watched the Lavender soap video for reference. I discovered in my attempts that batter thickness/thinness matters. The one that I am happiest with was a very thin trace. The other thing that seemed to help keep the colors from clumping in one spot is to not repeatedly pour in the same place. My first had this problem, because I poured each color in lines in the same place. (this was also at a thin to medium trace)
My second attempt I alternated where I dropped the lines and that seemed to get a better swirl result, even though this was poured at a medium trace.
My third attempt I alternated between pouring in lines and pouring in circles (watch some of Ophelia soapery videos, I think Ione also does this in the lavender video), this was the thinnest trace.
This has been my experience with this method so far. If I do my 4th attempt tonight, I'm going to try to repeat the thin trace and line/circle technique used in my last attempt and see if I get a happy result.

I just cut my first attempt, and wow, I have way too many accent colors. It's one dark blobby swirl. I might make a second batch, but this one with other colors, and way less accent color.

I started with 1/3 of my batter as accent and for the third soap dropped to 25%. It still seems like too much. I think my colors would look better with more base color swirled in. Plus, the accent colors are mostly in the top half of the soap, which is keeping them concentrated. I’m going to give it one more try with 1/6th of the total battter for accent colors, hoping that I can achieve about 1/3 as accent colors in the upper half of the loaf. After three runs, I also just discovered that I haven’t been doing the circular swirl correctly :eek: I am also going to try pouring at a slightly thinner emulsion to see how that works. I’ve started adding sugar to my recipe, which seems to be giving the recipe the kick it needs to warm up sufficiently.

Last edited:
Just to keep you all motivated and because this thread lacks pictures, here's my failed second attempt.
Wrong color choice, wrong pouring, trace too thick, I barely see it's a hanger swirl.. sunday will be my last try, I hope to do better than this!
IMG_20200219_225754.jpg
(The blue is a weak indigo infusion that was pink before gel and turned blue afterwards.. I used the infusion at 22%, which I guess is too much)

I think my colors would look better with more base color swirled in.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that for tries 1 & 2 I kept part of the base color to drop swirl with the accent colors. I still used the proportions 75%/25%, but part of the 75% base color was kept out for breaking up the accent colors. I only kept enough to do one or two passes with the base color.

One time I made a soap that I wanted to have rainbow colors, and since I didn't think I'd have enough time to mix all the different colors, I just did mica in oil for the colors. It turned out pretty well. I wonder if something like this could be done for this challenge, like just have batter uncolored, then have say 5 or 7 mica colors in oil, then do the swirl.

I looked at Ione's video and guessed she had 75% base color and the accents split even totalling 25% . I chose 3 accent colors and did a 70/10/10/10 just to make the math easier. And people! What's with the overachieving? Second, third, fourth (looking at you, @amd ) attempts!! :) I've got one and only chance and still waiting too impatiently to cut. It's my first soap to take so many days to firm up. Fingers crossed.

@Zing you can call me an overachiever - it's a first for me! LOL It helps that I can sell my soap, so I can take a couple stabs at this and not have a crazy soap to try and sell later. ;)

I know I have been fairly quiet on this thread but I've been lurking and love the multiple attempts people are doing for this swirl! Cant wait to see your achievements :D

The entry thread is now open https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-february-2020-challenge-ione-swirl-entry-thread.78335/

Please remember that the entry thread is for entries only, please post any other comments or questions in this thread.

If you havent achieved a soap yet, there is still time to enter as you have 6 days (including today) before the entries close.

Good luck!

In answer to the question about how much base soap to use vs accent colours - I have been filling the mould at least halfway with base soap. I have found the most success using 1/2 to 2/3 base colour and the rest accents. My soaps seem to turn out better if I force myself to use more accent colour than my instincts tell me to use (I'm a minimalist at heart!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave it another try today, for batch #4, using only 20% total for the accent colors and holding back about that much to intermix with them as I poured. My stash of floral FOs that don’t accelerate or discolor ran out on batch #2, which meant I had to use mildly accelerating FOs for batches 3 and 4. #3 did okay, but the batter was pretty thick towards the end of #4, so I have no idea how it will turn out. It probably won’t have the beautifully wispy dancing swirls I was hoping for :). At least I did the spiral swirl correctly this time. Despite @Primrose ’s perfect diagrams, I was making ever larger circles from the center top of the loaf, which meant I was passing the hanger through one area near the top too many times. Oh well, now I know. I consoled myself by ordering a bunch of FOs from MMS :p

1. Mobjack Bay- totally looking forward to this one!
2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
4. MarnieSoapien - New swirls!!
5. dibbles - Love a hanger swirl!
6. Cellador- I'll give it a try....wheeeee!
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
9. Kosmerta- I am very excited for this challenge!
10. Kcryss - Can't wait to try this!
11. BattleGnome - I’m almost out of CP! Need to make a bunch before I run out
12. neonstudy
13. amd
14. bookreader451 - I stink at hanger swirls so I can't wait for an advanced technique LOL
15. DKing - Things are a bit stressful and crazy here currently, but hopefully I will find an opportunity to try it.
16. Mommycarlson - I'll give it a swirl....apologies if that has already been said
17. StormyK - eeep!
18. @Zing - this was on my list for 2020 and just got moved up to February!
19. Veggiebin - first challenge, I don’t post a lot, but think I have enough...this looks like a fun one! Did I do this right?
20. Amy78130- excited to give it a try!!!
21. Callie - I hope it isn't to late to join the fun!

This was my first hanger swirl. I have not managed to do one that I like as much since this one. It is made with 4 colours of clay. I would like to try that technique though. I am not eligible for the competition but I am going to enjoy looking at all your pictures :)

View attachment 43830
Beautiful swirls, well done. Natural colors are amazing as well.
Soon we will qualify to participate...

Here's my 1st attempt out of 2. I just entered my 2nd attempt! It's CPOP soap, scented with cactus flower from Cierra and colored with titanium dioxide, neon pink mica, violet ultramarine, and a mix of chromium green and neon blue mica for the base.

I forgot the last up and down pass with the hanger, but didn't want to mess up the pretty top! Also forgot the water reduction needed when CPOPing with titanium dioxide, so there's some crackling.
Resized_1582383338929_971902485550964.jpeg

20200221_131624.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful swirls, well done. Natural colors are amazing as well.
Soon we will qualify to participate...
Thank you Frenchy :)

I had two attempts at this, one in square and one tall and skinny
2020-02-22 17.34.17.jpg
. Here are the results. They are coloured with 4 clays. I think they are not too bad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I joined soap making?

To officially enter a challenge you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this). This is from the rules posted at the top of this thread. You may post any soaps you make following the guidelines for the challenge in this thread, just not in the official entry thread.

Back