SMF February 2020 challenge - Ione swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Serene! Come play with us - I want to see what you can do with this one :)

No place to soap yet, and just started unpacking the molds, micas and miscellaneous other soapy things yesterday.. This move just about killed me. I am going to try to soap in my kitchen until the soap room is ready. I promise to give it a shot if I find all the stuff I need. 4 months without making soap. It's killing me.

No place to soap yet, and just started unpacking the molds, micas and miscellaneous other soapy things yesterday.. This move just about killed me. I am going to try to soap in my kitchen until the soap room is ready. I promise to give it a shot if I find all the stuff I need. 4 months without making soap. It's killing me.
It sounds like your move wasn’t so smooth. 4 months without making soap :eek:. At least you have other creative outlets. I’ll just look forward to seeing your creations whenever you get a chance.

Following
You can follow threads without commenting "following" simply by clicking the WATCH THREAD button at the top of any thread.
upload_2020-2-13_11-43-35.png

Attempt #2 is in the mold. I think swirling went well but my top looks like a hot mess. The FO and beer combo moved quickly for me, so I'm hoping it swirled as well as I think it did and there are no air holes. Another wait and see. (Anyone else tired of playing this game? LOL #soapmakerlife)

I decided on my recipe and color combo, but still doubting about scent. I hope to get the first try in the mold on Saturday or Monday.. so curious to see how it'll work out for everyone!

We got rid of all of our metal hangers and only have wide, flat plastic ones which I don't think will work well for this challenge. My hubby was working in the city today and went on a mission to find me a metal hanger. He went to 3 different 2nd hand shops before he found one for me! Now, the kiddos need to start feeling better so I can make some soap! I'm hoping to get a batch done next week.

1. Mobjack Bay- totally looking forward to this one!
2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
4. MarnieSoapien - New swirls!!
5. dibbles - Love a hanger swirl!
6. Cellador- I'll give it a try....wheeeee!
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
9. Kosmerta- I am very excited for this challenge!
10. Kcryss - Can't wait to try this!
11. BattleGnome - I’m almost out of CP! Need to make a bunch before I run out
12. neonstudy
13. amd
14. bookreader451 - I stink at hanger swirls so I can't wait for an advanced technique LOL
15. DKing - Things are a bit stressful and crazy here currently, but hopefully I will find an opportunity to try it.
16. Mommycarlson - I'll give it a swirl....apologies if that has already been said
17. StormyK - eeep!
18. @Zing - this was on my list for 2020 and just got moved up to February!
19. Veggiebin - first challenge, I don’t post a lot, but think I have enough...this looks like a fun one! Did I do this right?
20. Amy78130- excited to give it a try!!!

My hubby was working in the city today and went on a mission to find me a metal hanger. He went to 3 different 2nd hand shops before he found one for me!
Hubby of the year! Good job Mr. MarnieSoapien (LOL)

Attempt #3 is very patiently waiting for me to get off work so I can cut it. Attempt #2 actually did not turn out bad despite the hot mess it appeared to be in the mold. Also... I should note that some of my struggle with this method may be that Ione does hers in a regular loaf mold, and I'm doing mine in a T&S.

Attempt #1 has been made and put to bed. I tried a new FO (recommendations be darned!) and am hoping for the best! Can't wait to cut it. I'm wondering if the order of the swirls will change the overall look?

I just finished my second soap for this challenge and, OMG, I had the entire top swirled and decorated and THEN realized that I hadn’t done the swirling IN the soap... really?! After all that weighing and maybe finally getting the batter proportions right?! I pushed ahead with the swirling and managed to keep my top intact, I think. I was sooo close on the first one. I’m keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Last edited:
Did 2 attempts so far. First one turned out quite ok, just thought I might try a bit more base and a bit less color.. Ha! My second turned out ehm.. let's call it minimalistic:p I'm hoping to find time for a third try! I really enjoy a hood hanger swirl:)

I’m wondering about the order of the swirls, too. I tried it one way in my first soap and reversed the order for the second batch. My accent colors also seemed a bit on the thin side for the first batch so I made them a little thicker for the second batch.

Last edited:
My first attempt doesn't live up to my expectations. I think my batter was too thick for such a thin hanger and I don't see many of the swirls. Good thing there's still time to try again!

My second attempt is okay. I did all three moves but not sure if it looks exactly the way it should. My colors are a lot more swirled together than the examples so I am not sure if I should try again or just call it a day.

Has anyone estimated the proportions of batter Ione is using for base versus accent colors in the video, or know how much oil her mold holds? I think I’m using too much of the accent colors.

Latest posts

Back