SMF February 2020 challenge - Ione swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut my first attempt this morning. The hanger swirl was not as bad as my previous attempts but I am not loving the color combo. Looked at a trusty color wheel and ordered a new mica from Nuture (snuck in a tall skinny mold too) for attempt 2.

If anyone struggles with color I found this to be helpful.

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

I cut my first attempt this morning. The hanger swirl was not as bad as my previous attempts but I am not loving the color combo. Looked at a trusty color wheel and ordered a new mica from Nuture (snuck in a tall skinny mold too) for attempt 2.

If anyone struggles with color I found this to be helpful.

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/
Oh, that’s a fun tool. It’s time to see what goes with purple. I have an endless supply!

I'm tackling this tomorrow! But... I'm thinking the hanger tool from Workshop Heritage will be too thick, so I'm putting my more mechanically inclined hubby to work (if he ever stops playing with his beer long enough...) to help me rig up something a bit thinner. I have three new soaps for a wholesale account... so I can take a few stabs at this lol. (the other 5 soaps ordered are repeats so their designs are set). If anyone has pics showing their swirling tool, I would be much appreciative!

I'm tackling this tomorrow! But... I'm thinking the hanger tool from Workshop Heritage will be too thick, so I'm putting my more mechanically inclined hubby to work (if he ever stops playing with his beer long enough...) to help me rig up something a bit thinner. I have three new soaps for a wholesale account... so I can take a few stabs at this lol. (the other 5 soaps ordered are repeats so their designs are set). If anyone has pics showing their swirling tool, I would be much appreciative!

https://750540.smushcdn.com/1341893...Shirt-Hanger-Black.jpg?lossy=1&strip=1&webp=1

LOL

Attachments

• HM0617BK-Plastic-Coated-Shirt-Hanger-Black.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 11
The cut.
View attachment 43874 SmockingRN posted Feb 9, 2020 at 11:55 AM[/GALLERY]I am following y’all in this contest, am new and have too few posts to enter. I did attempt a hanger swirl this morning with my 8th batch of soap.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 8BEAC6E8-48ED-4C65-A6EC-77F487E4D0FB.jpeg
    8BEAC6E8-48ED-4C65-A6EC-77F487E4D0FB.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 9E8FEE8D-F3E9-4B96-8637-21F4A02E4167.jpeg
    9E8FEE8D-F3E9-4B96-8637-21F4A02E4167.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'm tackling this tomorrow! But... I'm thinking the hanger tool from Workshop Heritage will be too thick, so I'm putting my more mechanically inclined hubby to work (if he ever stops playing with his beer long enough...) to help me rig up something a bit thinner.
In the video, she used a coat hanger. I cut off the top of a metal coat hanger with wire snips. Then used a pair of pliers to bend it to the right shape for my small mold. And the good part - it cost $0.00.
And the best part - it did a nice swirl.
Hope this idea helps.

In the video, she used a coat hanger. I cut off the top of a metal coat hanger with wire snips. Then used a pair of pliers to bend it to the right shape for my small mold. And the good part - it cost $0.00.
And the best part - it did a nice swirl.
Hope this idea helps.
I made my 2 that way, too. I put a drinking straw on the first one, before bending up the ends. I think the skinny wire, without a straw worked better.

Well... first attempt in the mold! In my nervousness of trying to remember the swirling order (and praying that the beer and FO would let me do it) forgot to add salt to my lye water so it's still too soft to cut and see. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to cut. I unshaped my coat hanger and the sleeving on the hanger cracked and flaked off at the bends, so I covered with electrical tape. Crossing my fingers that worked ok, I did notice that I had a small section in the middle that wasn't covered with tape where two tape ends had flagged. I'm more concerned about what those flagging tape ends did to the swirl than the possibility of exposed metal (I feel pretty safe that that spot was ok). Also a bit concerned that the natural beer color turned white, so my tri-color tan-white-gold soap is now only a dual color... sigh.

1. Mobjack Bay- totally looking forward to this one!
2. AliOop
3. Pepsi Girl
4. MarnieSoapien - New swirls!!
5. dibbles - Love a hanger swirl!
6. Cellador- I'll give it a try....wheeeee!
7. szaza - count me in!
8. Nona'sFarm
9. Kosmerta- I am very excited for this challenge!
10. Kcryss - Can't wait to try this!
11. BattleGnome - I’m almost out of CP! Need to make a bunch before I run out
12. neonstudy
13. amd
14. bookreader451 - I stink at hanger swirls so I can't wait for an advanced technique LOL
15. DKing - Things are a bit stressful and crazy here currently, but hopefully I will find an opportunity to try it.
16. Mommycarlson - I'll give it a swirl....apologies if that has already been said
17. StormyK - eeep!
18. @Zing - this was on my list for 2020 and just got moved up to February!
19. Veggiebin - first challenge, I don’t post a lot, but think I have enough...this looks like a fun one! Did I do this right?

Back