SMF December Challenge- high and low water batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planing trying today but I wanted to use my pvc mold and I'm not sure how to gel it. Its cold here so I need to cpop, not sure it will fit in the oven. Guess I'll have to change my plans.

Get a 5 gallon bucket, line it with a towel. Put your pipe in there. Wet a hand towel, nuke it till it's piping hot, then put it in the bucket and cover with a towel.

If there is any question about the FO, don't use it in the low water portion. I've use low water many times and it is very very very slow moving with no or the right FO. Even a slightly accelerating FO, that you can't tell accelerates in high water, will be extremely speedy in low water. Regardless of the trace though, the difference between high and low water after gelling will be apparent.

If you decide to take a flier with your FO, try putting just 1/4-1/2 of what you would normally put in that much batter. It increases your chances of success.

Also, as I mention in the video, just take your low water batter to emulsion. It's a bit harder to judge because it doesn't get as opaque. Err on the less stick blended side because you can still stir or use a small hand blender after you color. Taking it to light trace will still give you okay time but taking it to emulsion is better.

I know, it's repeating what LP said but it's true and once you see it, you will realize what a valuable tool it can be, low water.

Re: the bigger round mold, do you have one of the bed buddies? You can heat it up in the microwave and put it in the bucket under the towels. Or you could put a bunch of rice in a fabric bag, heat it inthe microwave and use that. I hope you find a way!

Last edited:
Sounds like a really interesting challenge! Might as well sign up now and figure out the logistics of how I'll find time to work on it later (details, details...) 8)

1. Lenarenee - pretending like I don't know what I've gotten myself into now!
2. Saponista - So many ideas, so little time to soap this month!
3. TheDragonGirl - this looks so cool and I wanted to try it anyhow
4. Dixiedragon
5. Songwind - Sounds fun, I'm in.
6. Obsidian- like I need more soap
7. Sonya-m - ooh I love a technical challenge!!
8. BlackDog - this challenge is totally out of my league!
9. dibbles - I see flops in my future!
10. doriettefarm - I'm game but frantically searching for FOs that behave in low water!
11. Judiraz- I've been wanting to do this with color...lots of ideas.
12. CaraBou - You know I'll do it anyway; might as well commit myself now so I can't back out from showing
13. Mrs Spaceship - is terrified.
14. DeeAnna. I don't have time for this -- it's my super crazy incredibly busy season at work -- but I'm gonna make time.
15. Commoncenz - Why, oh WHY do I do this to myself?
16. KristaY - I hope I have time in the Christmas craziness!
17. mazimazi - my first SMF challenge, yaaay!
18. Rowan - terrified and excited at the same time!
19. QueenBeeSoap - Count me in!

Newbie, your soaps turned out so well! The blue and white soap soap is especially stunning. Did you use any fragrance in the soap? Cutting the soaps vertically was a great idea. I was shocked at how long the low water soap stayed fluid compared to the higher water soap - not what I would have expected given the conventional soaping advice to use more water when you need more time for swirls.

DeeAnna, thanks for converting the ratios to lye concentration percentages!

Saponista, good idea to check the Soap Scent Review Board. I signed up not too long ago and hope there's some useful information there. (If anyone else is looking for it, you can find it at http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/).

4. Dixiedragon
10. doriettefarm - I'm game but frantically searching for FOs that behave in low water!
12. CaraBou - You know I'll do it anyway; might as well commit myself now so I can't back out from showing
14. DeeAnna. I don't have time for this -- it's my super crazy incredibly busy season at work -- but I'm gonna make time.
20. Steve85569 - I may be in trouble for this but I'm in!

Yes, QueenBee both the pink and the blue have FO in them. I have to go back to see what I used but my recollection is that I used Juicy Apricot for the blue and Blackberry Sage and Champagne for the pink. That's a guess though. Prepping for my trip so don't have time to go check!

Welcome mazimazi :) I wish UK suppliers sold the same fragrances. I have to test everything and it drives me mad.

Thanks! Iwill check the list and add my experiences, I have FOs from Gracefruit (this one has some info withbthe description) and Sensory Perfection. If I'm really worried I just use lavender, orange, lemon or peppermint EO, those are always safe :)

Welcome mazimazi :) I wish UK suppliers sold the same fragrances. I have to test everything and it drives me mad.

Thanks! Iwill check the list and add my experiences, I have FOs from Gracefruit (this one has some info withbthe description) and Sensory Perfection. If I'm really worried I just use lavender, orange, lemon or peppermint EO, those are always safe :)

I recall peppermint as thickening up quickly but it's been a while.

Again, you don't need to SB much to get to emulsion. Err on the side of blending less because you can stir and blend once you have your batter colored.

Helpful hint-
Do not sb your colorants nor fo. Wisk with a silicone coated wisk instead.
Sb to emulsion, split, color, wisk, add fo, wisk. Pour.

The one time I tried adding an accelerating fo to my oils before lye, sea moss by bb, I got soap on a stick. The one time before that I used sea moss and added after I split and colored, it accelerated but was pourable. I will never addan fo to oils before lye again lol! It works for some, but I find it easier to split and color before adding fragrance.

Newbie can you post the link to your video showing emulsion? Just as a refresher to us and maybe to others that haven't seen it yet. Emulsion is key:)

Has anyone tried this yet? I did a batch last night about 7 PM. I used my lard recipe that moves slowly. I only added my FO ( Love Spell) to the high water portion. This was poured in a small mold that I usually have trouble gelling so I put it on a heating pad on low for 4 hours. Took it off the pad but left it covered. I just checked it 18 hours after pouring and its still very warm! Never had that before!

Yep, I made mine yesterday. I have very definite color differences but the design is terrible. My high water portion was thinner then the low water so I couldn't get the bullseye pour I was going for, its just kind of blobby but is interesting. The cut edges are pretty cool though, lots of haloing, I really do wish I would have used a loaf mold and did a drop pour.

I cpop at 145*, much lower then I normally cpop at and I got a ton of ash. I could actually see the ash while it was in full gel. I'll have to do some clean-up to remove the ash and surface bubbles.

My FO was a blend of balsam and a non accelerating floral.

4. Dixiedragon
20. TeresaT - I have no idea what's going on, but my awesome math skills will save me!

I've got oil for the batch and lye water in the fridge so I'm in ( I think).

4. Dixiedragon
20. TeresaT - I have no idea what's going on, but my awesome math skills will save me!
21. Steve85569 - I think I got it this time. I'm still in trouble though!

I recall peppermint as thickening up quickly but it's been a while.

Again, you don't need to SB much to get to emulsion. Err on the side of blending less because you can stir and blend once you have your batter colored.

Weird, I was going to say the opposite because I've made 4 two lb recipes of peppermint eo and had all the time in the world. However, my recipe was high lard with no td added, and either Nurture's really red, or Mad Oils blue micas - twilight and bling.

Obsidian- I cut mine tonite. I love it, but I don'T think I will be able to get the subtle variances to show up on camera. Hey...any photography gurus, any hints for getting fine detail with an iPhone 6?

Can someone add me to the list ..I just need to find a good source of lye, here in India.

Can someone add me to the list ..I just need to find a good source of lye, here in India.

4. Dixiedragon
21. Steve85569 - I think I got it this time. I'm still in trouble though!
22. kumudini - let the lye hunt begin!

Latest posts

Back