SMF December Challenge- high and low water batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two soaps pictured in my post above are a high lard recipe (80% lard, 15% CO, 5% castor), but I was running low on lard for my third attempt, so I subbed some tallow for the lard (62% lard, 18% tallow, 15% CO, 5% castor). I'm new to using tallow, so I'm not yet calibrated to how it soaps differently than lard.

The 80% lard recipe is firm, waxy, and dry at 12-18 hours after molding. It cuts easily like a firm cheddar cheese. The lard-tallow loaf was so hard and brittle it shattered when I tried to cut it -- what a surprise! No, it wasn't lye heavy -- I checked that immediately -- just brittle from the higher stearic acid in the tallow. I heated it up at 170 F for about an hour, replaced my cutter wire, and tried it again. It cut okay when warm. I was expecting poor lather from the extra stearic, but it lathers easily and nicely.

Given this experience, I'm not quite sure a high lye concentration is a good choice for the lard-tallow recipe. I'm curious if a bit more water (lower lye concentration) would help this soap be less brittle and cut a little easier, so I think I'll try it again at my usual 31-33% lye concentration. For the 80% lard recipe, the low water (higher lye concentration) approach works great. I like it too.

My soaps shatter through the middle if i soap and wait until the next day to cut with low water. I have to soap 2-4 pm at the latest, cpop enough to speed saponification, and cut before 10pm, even 7-830 pm......

I use 40% tallow usually lol. Thx for the explanation! Replacing with lard, im not sure but i dont think ive had an issue as badly as with tallow. I also blend 25% tallow 15% lard and will have to check notes to see which shattered at late cutting and which didnt.

"...When did you first try cutting your lard- tallow combo? l wonder how it'd do within a few hours of gelling...."

CaraBou -- I cut about 10 hours after I put it in the mold. I was so eager to see what this soap looked like inside that I cut it a bit sooner than I normally would. Probably a good thing I did, because 10 hours was actually too late, not too early!

I normally cut my soaps about 12-18 hours after molding, unless for some reason the soaps don't gel. In that case I have to be verrrrrryyyyy patient and give them another day or two to firm up. (Or put them into the oven at 140-170 F (60-75 C) for an hour or two and that solves the problem!)

"...l wonder how it'd do within a few hours of gelling. I've cut 3 batches now within 4 to 6 hours after pouring in the mold, that's how quick they've hardened. ... I normally don't cut this quick, but it does seem ripe and I must say it is wonderful for curing my insatiable appetite to see what's inside..."

You sound like me! I obviously need to re-calibrate my timing with this type of recipe. And start soaping earlier in the day. :mrgreen:

LionPrincess -- I have to say the difference between the 80% lard recipe and the lard-tallow recipe was marked. Since they were all soaps for the December challenge, I was deliberately using a consistent method for these soaps, so IMO it's the added tallow that made the difference.

I do wonder if I had used a recipe with a higher % of liquid fat (olive, HO sunflower, avocado, etc.) and thus more oleic acid, this might have mellowed out the brittleness of the tallow. Not sure about that -- just a guess.

Last edited:
The latest batch that split the first cut 3 soaps was in a ts silicone mold that I CPOPed. It then sat covered in towels overnight. Edit: it only partially gelled. the next morning bright and early and they just split, angled down through the middle horizontally. I put it back in the oven to warm and it helped it stay intact, though the edges showed stress fractures. It was a 50% lard now that I look at it. I thought maybe sodium citrate was adding to the issue.

Another that split was a 1 pound silicone mold with 30% lard 15% shea, and again sodium citrate, 2%. Cut the next day. Side note both had pko flakes 5.98% for the first and 8.06% this second. I honestly am not sure if i CPOPed this second, but it looks ungelled.

The earlier one that split a bar was the small mold again. 25% tallow, 35% lard, no pko, sodium citrate 2%, and again cut next day i believe. It too has stress fractures along with the split . It most likely sat on a heat pad yet didnt gel.

All were 40% lye.

I recently cleaned house, but began having struggles with the bottoms cracking and splitting with earlier batches which escalated to the centers. If i cut within hours theres no problem. Wait overnight and its roulette.

Last edited:
I use 35 to 40% lard, but other than 15% coconut, that's my only hard oil. I use OO, rice bran, and castor. I cut these at < 12 hours w/ 33% lye concentration. When I used high & low water for this challenge and put the soap on a heating pad I stayed in gel for that long! I didn't cut these for 15+ hours and they were solid! but still warm. I'm thinking it's probably the 25% OO.

Well now we know another reason not to wait so long to cut! That works for me :)

I posted yesterday's soap. I'm not totally happy with the pics but it's the best I could do in the time I had this morning. It's time to hit the road!

CaraBou-- loved your bear with the crystal ball. The colors are nice.

Saponista- I've read carrot seed oil is wonderful for "mature" skin. I used some in lotion, thinking it would be great for my skin, but I just couldn't get past the scent. Maybe it makes skin look better because people won't get too close :) hopefully your blend will cure to something good. Your soap looks great.

I've gotten somewhat used to carrot seed oil scent. A friend makes a facial serum and uses some in that, blended with other EOs and oils. A couple of drops is all that is needed, so the smell isn't noticeable once absorbed (at least I don't think it is). Maybe try doing something like that rather than a lotion. I don't think I'd use it in a leave on product for scent. It really is wonderful for skin (and my skin is definitely mature lol).

Ooh, some very pretty and intriguing soaps are lining up in the challenge ring! :)

I'm going to give it one final go tomorrow. Ended up pretty happy with soap #2 but I'll hold off posting to see if I like #3 better. This was a challenge in the truest sense! Tough stuff!

CaraBou-- loved your bear with the crystal ball. The colors are nice.

Saponista- I've read carrot seed oil is wonderful for "mature" skin. I used some in lotion, thinking it would be great for my skin, but I just couldn't get past the scent. Maybe it makes skin look better because people won't get too close :) hopefully your blend will cure to something good. Your soap looks great.

Judiraz, I agree with you 100% on the carrot seed oil scent. It's HORRIBLE! I add it to a "mature skin" face cream I make for my mom, sisters and me and nothing I add can mask it. The ONLY saving grace is how quickly the scent fades once it's on the skin. But you could be right....people aren't getting close enough when I use it, hehehe.....:shifty:

A friend told the story about a lady who was a lovely person in almost every way ... except she used an expensive face cream that had carrot oil in it. The lady knew about the scent, but was of the opinion that its anti-aging benefits outweighed the smell. From what my friend had to say, the lingering smell affected my friend's ability to work closely with this lady in an office environment.

I have a face cream recipe I use that has carrot seed e.o. and fennel seed e.o. The scent of the fennel masks the smell (stench) of the carrot seed quite nicely. Both are strong scents but the fennel is more overpowering than the carrot seed in this particular recipe.

Lol, I don't think the carrot seed will be a keeper then if so many people hate the smell so much. It's curing in our spare bedroom and I went in there yesterday and thought it smelled bad. Probably the carrot seed! My mom and dad are down for Christmas this evening staying in that room so I guess I better try and air it out!

It's been so nice catching up on things, I haven't had time to even think about soap (other than to wash my hands with it) for weeks. I should have known better than to sign up for anything in December. I won't have an entry for this challenge, but it has been so much fun seeing everyone else making theirs. I'll definitely have to try this technique soon.

Looks like soaping just wasn't in the cards for me this month so I won't be entering a soap for this challenge. I've learned so much has from reading all of your trials and successes though, so I'll still try this technique....in 2016!!

Latest posts

Back