SMF December Challenge- high and low water batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw, hey! Thanks everybody! Newbie thanks to you for hosting th is challenge; like I said earlier I would not have even tried this technique if not for the challenge and now I have another tool in my belt. Great entries everyone!

Congrats to everyone and a big thanks to Newbie for bringing us this challenge. I appreciate the votes. I really look forward to these challenges because I learn so much...from my mistakes as well as successes.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with for January's challenge.

Happy New Year!

Thanks everyone! Judiraz, your soap was so soothing to the eye and an outstanding entry. Blackdog, the outlining you achieved was very cool. Carabou, I am honored to share 3rd place with you. I loved the ethereal quality of your soap.

Newbie, thank you for hosting this challenge. It was a busy month for you as well, and your efforts are appreciated. This was a technique I'm glad I learned, and will be playing with it more.

Congratulations to everyone who entered this month, great efforts all. And for those who understandably were unable to get an entry in for December, see you in January!

I forgot to thank you for hosting the challenge newbie. I really enjoyed it, but just wish there were more hours in the day during December so I could have had more tries. I am definitely going to use this technique more, especially after seeing the beautiful colour effects it produces!

Awesome! I am humbled, especially because I think you had the better soap dibbles. You got my vote; in fact all three of you did. But I saw markers of the challenge in all of the soaps, so had a hard time deciding. I hope everyone got something good out of the challenge even if your name didn't show up in the end.

Thanks newbie (and LP too) for your guidance.

It's always a pleasure to host so I'm glad people enjoyed it. Also, adding techniques into the skill set is always fun. You never know when you might pull one out of there!

Congratulations Judiraz, Blackdog, Dibbles, and Carabou! You all did a terrific job as did everyone that entered the challenge. Even though I didn't get a chance to enter I'm still going to try this technique soon so thanks newbie for helping us push the boundaries! Great work everyone!!!!

I finally got to try this technique, long story short: AHRE'so green tea and cucumber doesn't like low water. It's going to be a very interesting soap.

Yes, I'm quoting myself here.

Checked the progress on these and found massive dos; entire sides of bars turned orange. What gives?

I haven't heard anything about the water content lending itself to DOS. Was it touching metal? high SF? ARe you certain the FO does not discolor (unlikely by the name but thought I'd ask)? I haven't had any of mine go bad so I'm not certain what to say.

It's not fo discoloration.

Since I can't stand the fragrance, I used these bars to practice planing, and the planer does have a metal blade. But, many of the planed sides aren't affected. Stranger still is that none of the tops developed dos.

Sf was 4%. I love the high/low water technique, but since the fo accelerated, and it stinks, I was happy to find a reason to pitch them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back