SMF Challenge November 2021 - Rainbows

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When does the entry thread open? Anybody know?

It's always in the first post of the challenge thread:
  • The entry thread will open on November 21 at 8PM GMT (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).
  • After the closing date on November 27 at 11:59 PM GMT the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey.

It's always in the first post of the challenge thread:
  • The entry thread will open on November 21 at 8PM GMT (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).
  • After the closing date on November 27 at 11:59 PM GMT the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey.
Thanks Dibbles!

Sorry for being absent guys, I think I missed an alert about somebody commenting and then I didn't get any more alerts about this thread. I was just coming back to post a reminder about the entry thread opening next Sunday in the hopes of boosting this Challenge as I thought there hadn't been any activity for a week. I really thought I had managed to make the most unpopular challenge in the history of SMF challenges, so I'm glad to see you all on here and I apologize for late answers!

Is it only two bars we can showcase or can I show the whole loaf?
It's at least 2 bars, so you can display as many as you'd like!

@TheGecko I feel you! I've been struggling so much with making straight line pours and to be honest I don't think I ever managed to do them well. I think there are generally 2 techniques:
1. Either make teensy tiny batches for each color and mix the next while your previous one is hardening in the mould - this takes a really long time though! (like @melonpan experienced) or
2. Make the entire batch at once with a slow moving recipe, mix until emulsion, divide and add colors and only when you're ready to pour add an accelerating fragrance to the color you're about to pour. The idea is that the batter stays fluid right up until the moment you pour and then accelerates and hardens quickly in the mold so you can pour the next (always adding fragrance right before pouring). This is the method I've tried, but without much success. First of all, this doesn't work too well with EO's, even with the accelerating ones. I had one FO, so I tried it with that and even that one didn't work too great. It once completely ruined a soap project by accelerating on me, but I think the recipe I used was so fluid it took away some of the accelerating powers. I put that soap in the oven in between pouring layers and it kind of went ok-ish.

Good luck!!

Sorry for being absent guys, I think I missed an alert about somebody commenting and then I didn't get any more alerts about this thread. I was just coming back to post a reminder about the entry thread opening next Sunday in the hopes of boosting this Challenge as I thought there hadn't been any activity for a week. I really thought I had managed to make the most unpopular challenge in the history of SMF challenges, so I'm glad to see you all on here and I apologize for late answers!

It's at least 2 bars, so you can display as many as you'd like!

@TheGecko I feel you! I've been struggling so much with making straight line pours and to be honest I don't think I ever managed to do them well. I think there are generally 2 techniques:
1. Either make teensy tiny batches for each color and mix the next while your previous one is hardening in the mould - this takes a really long time though! (like @melonpan experienced) or
2. Make the entire batch at once with a slow moving recipe, mix until emulsion, divide and add colors and only when you're ready to pour add an accelerating fragrance to the color you're about to pour. The idea is that the batter stays fluid right up until the moment you pour and then accelerates and hardens quickly in the mold so you can pour the next (always adding fragrance right before pouring). This is the method I've tried, but without much success. First of all, this doesn't work too well with EO's, even with the accelerating ones. I had one FO, so I tried it with that and even that one didn't work too great. It once completely ruined a soap project by accelerating on me, but I think the recipe I used was so fluid it took away some of the accelerating powers. I put that soap in the oven in between pouring layers and it kind of went ok-ish.

Good luck!!
Definitely have to mix the teeny tiny batches one at a time. Or - Mix all the oils you are going to need, then mix all the lye solution you are going to need. Divide the oils and the lye solution by the number of layers and then mix each layer separately. It takes a while, but not quite as long as mixing each separately as a new batch.

1. Either make teensy tiny batches for each color and mix the next while your previous one is hardening in the mould - this takes a really long time though! (like @melonpan experienced)
Or - Mix all the oils you are going to need, then mix all the lye solution you are going to need. Divide the oils and the lye solution by the number of layers and then mix each layer separately. It takes a while, but not quite as long as mixing each separately as a new batch.
There something odd going on with my layers soap, I thought I'd ask here instead of opening another thread as we're already talking of how to do this.

It's been now over 48 hours since I finished pouring my layers and the soap is still a bit soft on the edges. Most of the soap seems saponified but it is sticky on several parts. But this is a recipe that I've used now for at least four batches, usually I am able to unmold after 24-28 hours.
The only thing that I did differently is splitting the oils before I added the lye to gain more time (as @linne1gi said: Mix all the oils you are going to need, then mix all the lye solution you are going to need. Divide the oils and the lye solution by the number of layers and then mix each layer separately).

Could it be that the oils ended up in each layers in different proportions, and that throw off the sap values so that I ended up with a softer soap?

I've decided to unmold it and leave it out to see if this helps. I still need to finish with the second part of the design, I'm hoping it hurries up and it's ready by tomorrow haha.

The only thing that I did differently is splitting the oils before I added the lye to gain more time (as @linne1gi said: Mix all the oils you are going to need, then mix all the lye solution you are going to need. Divide the oils and the lye solution by the number of layers and then mix each layer separately).
I did this with a nine layer soap (not a challenge soap) and it was a very small batch. Your measurements have to be precise. I thought mine were... but I had one layer that I'm assuming was not an accurate measurement because its mushy and seeping. After 48hrs it has stopped seeping and still so much softer than the other 8 layers. Hoping it firms up. I stick blended my oils and FO really well before splitting up and all my other layers are perfect (it was the same numbers for each layer), so I can only assume I some how messed up by not hitting the tare button for that one layer???? Hope you soap turns out ok!!!

Made my one and only try at the challenge soap, very much afeared I did not get it to emulsion before splitting and coloring. Too worried about it thickening up too fast. Arg! So far 14 hours in the mold, not quite liquid but could be just hardened hard oils, which were 85% of the recipe. Here's hoping it's actually soap and a few days sitting will harden it up!
I did the same thing! I was so worried about the batter thickening that I underblended it. It did harden, but the colors mixed too much. I did it again and blended it too much. I’m referring to my soaps as the Goldilocks soap. I had the too thin, and too thick, but I’ll be damned if I make it a 3rd time. The cut soap looks good.

Your measurements have to be precise.

Agreed. Orinarily I use my batch oils to disperse my micas however for rainbow soap I use additional oils because the number of colours means I'm pulling a fair amount of oils out of the batch. Even just as little as a few drops makes my rainbow portion wetter and stickier than usual.

Made my soap today, and I’m pretty “chuffed” about it 😄👍. (Did I use that correctly?

Bang on!! :D:thumbs:

Hope you're feeling better!

I did this with a nine layer soap (not a challenge soap) and it was a very small batch. Your measurements have to be precise. I thought mine were... but I had one layer that I'm assuming was not an accurate measurement because its mushy and seeping. After 48hrs it has stopped seeping and still so much softer than the other 8 layers. Hoping it firms up. I stick blended my oils and FO really well before splitting up and all my other layers are perfect (it was the same numbers for each layer), so I can only assume I some how messed up by not hitting the tare button for that one layer???? Hope you soap turns out ok!!!
@melonpan how did you add your colorants? If you premix with oil, that could make a difference in a small amount of batter.
Also, how much water is in your recipe. Could one part/layer have more after than another? For me this took a lot of math, and even then wasn’t perfect. You lose a little product with each layer also.
Agreed. Orinarily I use my batch oils to disperse my micas however for rainbow soap I use additional oils because the number of colours means I'm pulling a fair amount of oils out of the batch. Even just as little as a few drops makes my rainbow portion wetter and stickier than usual.
Thank you all for chiming in!

I did not predisperse my micas in oils or water, I added them directly to my oils (weighed for each layer) & mixed well before adding the lye solution. I thought that would be the best way to avoid adding in extra oils and water?

I see what you mean by measurements having to be precise. I think mine were almost the same for each layer, but then there were some decimals of difference... given how little batter at a time I was working on, I see this could make a difference. Maybe that's what it was!

Made my soap today, and I’m pretty “chuffed” about it 😄👍. (Did I use that correctly? In my neck of the woods we would say I’m WICKED PSYCHED!) We’ll see how it actually looks. Still trying to recover from this dreadful stomach virus. Really knocked me out.
Ugh, sorry to hear you have been down. Hope you feel better now, esp since your soap turned out well.

The only sound advise on pouring straight is make sure you barley mix soap' pour into each seperate cups' only add scent right befor pour' & wait for layer to set up before pouring another layer' all a while stiring soaps in cups to assure its fluid. its tricky in a timely manor. honesty I ended up trimming off most of a 40oz loaf of soap! lol so my help wouldn't be sound. I didn't want to make many soap loafs so what I got i'm using. Mine was a two part process. 💫🧼✨

Just a quick update on the still soft soap - I'm happy I decided to unmold it yesterday, it has some dents where it was still too soft but keeping it exposed to air seems to have done the trick: one day later it has hardened enough that I was able to do the second part of my rainbow soap earlier. Such a relief!

Now waiting for the cut, I'm pretty "chuffed" too (thanks @Vicki C for expanding my vocabulary 😁)

1. CatandOak-ooooooo guys! This one is going to be fun!
2. Peachy Clean Soap 🌈
3. dibbles - I could use a bit of rainbow in my life
4. Primrose - fabulous!
5. Vicki C - yes 🌈🧼🏳️‍🌈
6. melonpan - so many ideas!
7. earlene - I've chosen my inspiration photo from a trip with friends in 2013
8. Violets2217- I forgot my screen name for a second!
9. Guspuppy - I need to make soap anyway! 😂
10. TheGecko - Why not.
11. linne1gi - I love rainbows!
12. glendam - Just the push I needed to finally attempt this
13. Martha - This will be my first challenge. So intimidated by you guys! And I’m #13!
14. Cpndouchette - i have a lot going on right now so not sure I'm going to have time but i'll throw my hat in the ring!
15. Johnez- How many new (to me) techniques can I roll into one challenge?
16. ScentimentallyYours - So many songs about rainbows!

Latest posts

Back