SMF Challenge November 2021 - Rainbows

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm out.
Here is what I've come up with. I might come back to this concept in that distant future where the ancients have foretold by the elusive event called “shortage of soap”.
I'll leave it here, should someone be in need of an idea.
  1. Slab mould
  2. Make a star-shaped column (if necessary, cylindrical mould + cut out trianlges from the edges) out of transparent M&P, and place it in the middle of the mould.
  3. CP time. “Priming” with a large portion of black batter, poured over the star core to spread over the mould
  4. Add CP batter coloured in as many rainbow shades as you have patience to mix colourants
  5. Add another large portion of black batter, to “blow up” the rainbow to its final size
  6. Do a chopstick swirl or not? (I'd leave at least one half of the mould unswirled)
  7. Let batter solidify (avoid gel to not damage the M&P)
  8. Unmould, cut into four pieces max (or leave it as one); optionally: plane.
  9. Take pics with some shine-through illumination, so that the star in the middle glows by itself.
  10. ???
  11. Profit
View attachment 62383

Good luck everyone! I'm following the challenge with great interest, but without making actual soap. (No, don't even try to convince me otherwise.)
As, shucks @ResolvableOwl. I was planning on doing something just like that! 🤣 Now I’ll need a new idea? Or maybe I can still practice the column pour using a mini mold and different shape columns. In the meantime I’m going back down into my dungeon and try and shovel it out so I have a place to work.

Well, I won't keep you from doing it! 😃 I haven't invented the technique, nor am I overly fond of making rookie mistakes while perfecting it throughout several test batches (one of the reasons I'm not doing it IRL 😝).
I'd love to see you (or anyone else) come up with something similar! Enough things to alter to not need to have a bad conscience for copying me. Paper doesn't blush.

Well, I won't keep you from doing it! 😃 I haven't invented the technique, nor am I overly fond of making rookie mistakes while perfecting it throughout several test batches (one of the reasons I'm not doing it IRL 😝).
I'd love to see you (or anyone else) come up with something similar! Enough things to alter to not need to have a bad conscience for copying me. Paper doesn't blush.
I confess I’m very disappointed. I was hoping you would say something like, “Great minds think a like.” 😉

OK, I'll try again: “I wouldn't have matched your level of perfection anyway. It's a good thing you don't have to find diplomatic words for my mediocre makings.”
I’m trying to match your creative brain power. 😀 The entertainment value is immense. The frustration of actually making the soap is something different. And it’s only because I am very very stubborn that I have the tenacity to keep trying something despite multiple failures. I’m not sure perfection has anything to do with it, and if you saw my house, you would probably agree.

Sign-up list
Please copy the sign up list and add your own name to participate!

1. CatandOak-ooooooo guys! This one is going to be fun!
2. Peachy Clean Soap 🌈
3. dibbles - I could use a bit of rainbow in my life
4. Primrose - fabulous!
5. Vicki C - yes 🌈🧼🏳️‍🌈
6. melonpan - so many ideas!
7. earlene - I've chosen my inspiration photo from a trip with friends in 2013
8. Violets2217- I forgot my screen name for a second!
9.Guspuppy - I need to make soap anyway! 😂

Sign-up list

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🌈
4. Primrose - fabulous!
5. Vicki C - yes 🌈🧼🏳️‍🌈
9. Guspuppy - I need to make soap anyway! 😂
10. TheGecko - Why not.

Sign-up list

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🌈
4. Primrose - fabulous!
5. Vicki C - yes 🌈🧼🏳️‍🌈
10. TheGecko - Why not.
11. linne1gi - I love rainbows!

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🌈
4. Primrose - fabulous!
5. Vicki C - yes 🌈🧼🏳️‍🌈
10. TheGecko - Why not.
12. glendam - Just the push I needed to finally attempt this

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🌈
4. Primrose - fabulous!
5. Vicki C - yes 🌈🧼🏳️‍🌈
10. TheGecko - Why not.
13. Martha - This will be my first challenge. So intimidated by you guys! And I’m #13!

2. Peachy Clean Soap 🌈
4. Primrose - fabulous!
5. Vicki C - yes 🌈🧼🏳️‍🌈
10. TheGecko - Why not.
13. Martha - This will be my first challenge. So intimidated by you guys! And I’m #13!
14. Cpndouchette - i have a lot going on right now so not sure I'm going to have time but i'll throw my hat in the ring!

So I decided to do layers in my Round Cavity molds...eight colors, eight soaps. Each cavity holds 3 oz so I mixed 24 oz of batter and put 3 oz in eight small Dixie cups with dispersed colors and then would pour a small layer in each cavity, waiting 10 minutes between each. The idea was flawless, the execution...less so.

After dispersing my colorants in maybe two teaspoons of oil, I mixed my batter to just short of complete emulsion, weighed out 3 oz in each cup and then divided the rest (maybe an ounce). Got out my mini blended and mixed each cup to emulsion...poured the red. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Hmmmm...still a little soft, gave it anther 5 minutes...decided to spoon in the yellow. Not exactly the 'layer' that I was wanting, but maybe the next layer would spread it out a little better and set the timer. And so it went...setting the timer, spooning the layers. On a positive note...the batter in the cups stayed completely fluid even after an hour and a half. On a negative note...so did the batter in the mold. LOL

It's done now. I'll let them set for an hour on the counter, then spray with alcohol and move them to the garage and see what they look like tomorrow.

ETA - It’s been several hours and the soap hasn’t set up at all, it’s not even at a pudding stage. And there is oil around the edges of the mold. I think in my effort to be extra ‘fluid’, I never reached emulsion. I’ll check it again in the morning and if it still hasn’t set up, I’ll toss it and start over.

ETA - It's the next day. It was soap...kind of...really, really soft soap. I'm not sure what happened...it's almost like I didn't add enough Lye Solution but I know I did since I had enough batter to fill two molds. And the Lye Solution was fresh and the Sodium Hydroxide, while I have had it awhile and not in a 'dry bucket', there were no hard clumps or pieces. I'll try again this afternoon.

Last edited:
Ever since this challenge was posted all I can think of is the Jello mold I made a few months ago. I don't have the picture of it, but here is a Google Image search that is very similar. Photo crdit: Rainbow Jello Mold - Glitter and Goulash

1636412876247.png

Latest posts

Back