SMF Challenge Feb - a heads up

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Not saying what the technique is just yet but wanted to give you the heads up that you'll need a slab mould

Just thought if I let you know now it gives you chance to find something suitable if you don't already have one

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh....the suspense..... I'm excited to see what you have in store for us Sonya!

ETA: Will the size of the mold make a difference or just any slab?

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DH gave me a slab mold for Christmas. What a way to break it in!!

LisaAnne

Reaction score
Sonya, m, so you are the one that made the beautiful cherry blossom soap. I love that soap! I enjoy ebru a lot and always see your soap when I'm looking for new picture. Nice job!

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed -- her cherry blossom ebru is da bomb! In fact that makes me wonder what she has in store for us. Oh the suspense!

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Thanks LisaAnne & Carabou!!

I'd say you don't want to go smaller than 6x6inches - I'm not saying it can't be smaller but you may struggle

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can successfully use the bottom of an 8 inch loaf mold. The shape of this spin is slightly different because of the rectangle versus square but it works well. You get more movement throughout the soap, at least to my eye, and less of the center staying stationary. These are pictures of a 16 ounce oils batch in the bottom of the loaf mold. The soap ends up over an inch thick so you could use a 12-14 ounce oils batch and still get big enough bars.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 7.10.06 PM.jpg

Floral1.jpg

IMG_0918.JPG

Last edited:

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my soap is a spin. You can use a loaf mold very successfully as a slab mold for all sorts of techniques. I think people tend to think of needing a lot of working space when trying a slab technique but the loaf molds are wonderful. You still get standard bar shape and you don't have to make a very big batch to try something out. Works well for all sorts of swirls, spins, ebru, itps, and the rest. All my slab-type bars from B&W were in this size mold.

Sorry, I didn't say I was using my soap as an example to compare between what you can get in a square versus a rectangle.

Last edited:

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Very good points about using a loaf mold as a small slab newbie. Plus if you're a klutz like me, the higher sided loaf mold would be a bonus in terms of safety when attempting a spin swirl!

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As you may be able to see from the sides of the mold in the pink and green, I need high sides for safety even when attempting a regular swirl. ;)

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As you may be able to see from the sides of the mold in the pink and green, I need high sides for safety even when attempting a regular swirl. ;)
Word! It's probably a good thing I don't own a lazy susan :oops:

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This type of carton also makes a good slab mold if you cut the top off (what was formerly the side) but you have to make sure you still have the screw top on it. Requires a little trimming but it's perfect for a 16 ounce oils batch.

image.jpg

amd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooh, I think I have one somewhere! Oh the perks of an old house!!!
Hmmmm.... I have some built in to my cabinets.... Wonder if that would work? Haha notsomuch I think but an entertaining mental picture.

When I first started soaping I used a Ritz cracker box as a tray mold. I reinforced the corners and edhges with packing tape and double lined.

Yep... There it is on the right.

1453351321719.jpg

Latest posts