SMF August Challenge- Pokemon/Hanger Circling Taiwan

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welcome to August’s Soap Challenge - Please read all the rules before participating.

I'm going to start off by saying that I'm not as prepared for this month as I should've been. My technique did not quite work. But, I know where I went wrong and I still think this topic makes a great challenge. Who says the entrants can't help figure out a technique?

Anyhoo, I had about 3 different ideas for this month, but I didn't love any of them. I thought of this one two days ago and really loved it. Please don't hate me! After it didn't quite work, I thought about putting up another video. I had old videos of me just making soap, but I didn't feel any of them were challenge worthy at all because I didn't film them with a challenge in mind.

These current videos may prove to be placeholders. I'll be doing this technique again tonight or tomorrow morning and be adding a video.

This month will be the Circling Taiwan Swirl with a hanger tool. You can find a video of a traditional circling taiwan (no hanger tool)here: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTXzlXD_VQ"

Rules

1.The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

__________________________________________________ _____________

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on August 19,2016 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date August 26, 2016 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on August, 31, 2016. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, Sonya-m and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

Challenge Specific Rules
- You must use a loaf mold
- You must use at least 3 colors (plain soap batter can be classed as one of those colors)
-You must choose a generation 1 pokemon to model your color scheme after (see intro video for more explanation)
-Generation 1 Pokemon List: Just select a name to get a more detailed page/photo
- You may choose the same pokemon as someone else
- (Clarification) Please no Shiny Pokemon as this is a Generation 2 and beyond feature
- Your entry must show at least one bar of your finished soap but feel free to show more - we all love seeing soap pictures after all!
-I was originally going to limit the amount of times you could pull and dip the hanger tool but that proved to be a bad idea. At this point, I'm fairly certain you need at least 10 strokes. I'm going to try with 10-15 and repost. Again, I apologize for not having everything perfected.
- You must use a hanger tool (not a skewer) for this taiwan swirl.
- The second pass (going across the mold) is optional for this swirl. I chose to do it but its not necessary. Next video will not include it.

Any problems or difficulties feel free to send me (GalaxyMLP) a PM and I will do my best to help.

I will be submitting a new video (with a different color scheme) within 1 day (24 hrs).

If anyone finds a video online that shows this technique, feel free to post it. I could've sworn I've seen videos of it but apparently not.

Intro (I chose a gen 2 pokemon so no one would feel I "stole" their favorite):
https://youtu.be/XuncRbtjV_k

Video:
https://youtu.be/0RWs-Z6H7NM

Video 2 (Much better):
https://youtu.be/s00ktaweOnk

IMG_3121.jpg

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

Last edited:
You make or buy a hanger tool. You can use anything you like for your hanger tool provided it has that shape.

Yes, Pokemon go was my inspiration. I played Pokemon a lot growing up. I also played it in high school when it was no longer "cool". Pokemon go has been a lot of fun for me (although I've been frustrated with their attempts at "fixing" problems)

I'm really sorry this isn't the best example for the challenge.

No worries. I was in middle school or high school when pokemon came out and even throughout my twenties, my peers played pokemon (I'll never get how teens could think something's uncool when twenty-somethings make drinking games out of it). So, I'm a little too well versed in that show/game series. Even my daughter likes pokemon and has been bugging me to download it to my phone (I hate games that are fresh out the oven).

Any who, I think this challenge isn't bad or anything; it's fresh with inspiration. You kept it simple buy limiting us to 150 pokemon (I totally would have chosen Servine if you hadn't) and their color schemes aren't too over-the-top unless you Jinx yourself (sorry, couldn't resist). I personally would debate choosing Butterfree or Pollywhirl. So, thanks.

August Entrants:

1. carlyjones - exciting!!
2. dibbles - saying it first - I'll give it a GO
3. TeresaT - Pokemon. Oh, yay!
4. BattleGnome - I call shiney squirtle!

Last edited:
5. Arimara - Eggs are cute! Wait, that's not how it goes...

I knew I kept forgeting something- Happy birthday, Galaxy. If it's any consolation, I've even forgotten my own birthday until my daughter said something.

5. Arimara - Eggs are cute! Wait, that's not how it goes...
6. Rusti - Maybe I'll have time to do this one at some point this month. No idea what Pokemon to go for though!

Yes!!! Loving the shiny pokemon!! (Edit: Please see 3 posts down. Though I love shiny Pokemon, I don't feel it's fair to have them available)

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Yes, this was in my bday plan! :)

Rusti, unfortunately umbreon is not a generation 1 Pokemon. There may be a gen 1 Pokemon with those colors though!

Last edited:
Tangela and Gyrados have similar colors to shiney umbreon.

shiney is a gen 2 thing, all they still count?

You are absolutely welcome to use a Pokemon someone else is using. No need to "call them out" I just thought it was fun that people were sharing. You have no pressure to at all.

Tangela and Gyrados have similar colors to shiney umbreon.

shiney is a gen 2 thing, all they still count?

You are correct that shiny began in gen 2. I just noticed that now. I was going to mention tangela and poliwhirl have similar colors.

I guess it's not fair to allow shiny Pokemon as it is a gen 2 feature and it changes from game to game. :(

I'll make that clear in the rules. Just the original colored 151 Pokemon are allowed. You can go off of the drawn Pokemon though. Not just the pixel sprites.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back