SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit that I am happy to be done with this challenge! I definitely learned a lot and ended up with a few bars to give as nice Christmas gifts so it was well worth the effort, but I am glad it's over! I actually ended up going with my 2nd try although the colors didn't have as much contrast as some of the others, but since the zigzag turned out more even I went with it.
I never could make myself stop concentrating so hard on the pour and pay attention to the position of the mold. I guess I can't do two things at once. By the time I got done, the far end was about an inch thick and the near end was 1.5 inches thick with all kinds of waves on top. Thanks to my inability, I finally broke down and bought a planer (it's a beauty too).
If I tried a 6th time (which I'm NOT!) I would try a different mold. Maybe I would do better with a wider mold??

These are my non-entries.

#1 Blue Shocker neon (MM), Flotation Device neon (MM) & Blue Moon white (MM) - Trying for Florida Gators colors but missed the mark. Probably because I don't like the team.
View attachment 48952

#2 is on the Entry thread

#3 Wicked (MM), Satin Grey Pillow Case (MM) & Golden Buddha (MM) - Going for UCF (University of Central Florida) colors. I think they would make good wood or rock colors, but I blended them too much.

View attachment 48953

#4 Pastels - Berry Twist (NS), Sea Green (NS) and Yellow Vibrance (NS). Wish the bar on the left looked like the one on the right!

View attachment 48956

#5 Browns - Tall, Dark, & Handsome (MM), Poppycock (MM) & Champagne (MM). I forgot to clip the side of silicone mold so the loaf got a little dented.

View attachment 48957

Did I mention that I'm glad this is over?!?!?

Thank you @dibbles for organizing this!
They are all so very pretty!

I’ve had my share of fails with challenge attempts. I used to not enter them, but lately I’ve decided I will. There is something about entering, trying, and completing, even if I don’t win, show, or place.

I look at it like this: if I ever enter a marathon, or triathlon, I would go into it knowing that some people have trained to be the best, and probably started with more talent than I have, too. I wouldn’t expect to cross the finish line with them anywhere in sight, would I?

Yet the experience of preparing for and running the race is still fun, and still good for me. Finishing it still has value, too - because finishing something hard, or something where I’m not the best, develops my character. It gives me compassion for those who struggle where I may shine - bc now I know how it feels to be not-so-good at something. It also develops perseverance when I don’t give up bc it didn’t turn out like I wanted. It helps me be appropriately humble when my best effort is so minuscule compared to “the greats.”

Of course, there is nothing wrong with deciding not to enter, as well. No need to stress ourselves out over soap! But I do find value in sharing even my flops with all of you. The grace, acceptance and encouragement you/we pour out to one another is healing to all who receive it.

Ahem. Well. That turned more philosophical than I meant it to be. But I hope y’all are encouraged to try and to enter. You may be surprised at the positive outcome that doesn’t depend on how cool your soap looks. 🌺

Thank you, AliOop!! 🙂 Such wonderful words of encouragement.
For me being so new to the forum, and soap making in general, I tend to get a bit intimidated by these challenges. I can’t yet compete, but I may just try when I do qualify. It is a wonderful group and I’ve seen such support for each other here.

I’ve had my share of fails with challenge attempts. I used to not enter them, but lately I’ve decided I will. There is something about entering, trying, and completing, even if I don’t win, show, or place.

I look at it like this: if I ever enter a marathon, or triathlon, I would go into it knowing that some people have trained to be the best, and probably started with more talent than I have, too. I wouldn’t expect to cross the finish line with them anywhere in sight, would I?

Yet the experience of preparing for and running the race is still fun, and still good for me. Finishing it still has value, too - because finishing something hard, or something where I’m not the best, develops my character. It gives me compassion for those who struggle where I may shine - bc now I know how it feels to be not-so-good at something. It also develops perseverance when I don’t give up bc it didn’t turn out like I wanted. It helps me be appropriately humble when my best effort is so minuscule compared to “the greats.”

Of course, there is nothing wrong with deciding not to enter, as well. No need to stress ourselves out over soap! But I do find value in sharing even my flops with all of you. The grace, acceptance and encouragement you/we pour out to one another is healing to all who receive it.

Ahem. Well. That turned more philosophical than I meant it to be. But I hope y’all are encouraged to try and to enter. You may be surprised at the positive outcome that doesn’t depend on how cool your soap looks. 🌺
I made a promise to myself that I would enter every challenge in 2020. I have never won (in 2020), but month after month I learn something.
I make much better soap than I did a year ago and have more techniques in my wheelhouse.

Last edited:
The voting survey is now closed, and I won't keep you in suspense until tomorrow.

Congratulations to the winners:
1. Jersey Girl
2. sarahmarah
3. gardengeek

Thank you to everyone who participated, even if you didn't submit an entry. The soaps made for this challenge were truly outstanding. I hope you had fun!

Congratulations to the 3 of you. I really Loved your soaps, you rocked this challenge. 🤩
Thanks to all the participants for the amazing feedback and comments about your successes and failures and tips and tricks.
I have learned a tremendous amount from all of you.

I have only just started soaping this year in July. I have made a 1 lavender soap, and 1 tallow and shea butter soap, and I have made 3 other soaps for this challenge. (2 horrendous flops and my the one successful soap entry. )

Considering my entry soap was the 5th CP soap I've ever made in my life. I'm seriously pleased as punch with it. It was not perfect. But I'm really chuffed with my entry. But I would not have been able to do it without the knowledge and wisdom shared by all the soapers here.

I seriously LOVE this forum and the community. A Big thanks to you all. You guys all Rock! It is such an awesome platform to learn from.
I already cant wait to see what's in store for the next challenge!

Congrats to the winners!! Very well deserved all 3 of you :)

@Elizevt I'm seriously impressed your entry was only your 5th soap ever. It was my BF's favorite when looking through the entries!

@bookreader451 you really inspired me with your goal of completing every challenge in 2020. I haven't been feeling like soaping the last few months, but the idea of doing every challenge for a year really motivated me to at least make an attempt. I sort of accidentally started doing every challenge since September 2019 and the idea of completing a full year kept me going. (well, I didn't enter in March because I hosted, but that counts, right? ;) ) I'll probably take a month or 2 off now that I reached the one year mark, but I really want to thank you for -probably completely unknowingly- pushing me to keep going. I also wanted to say it's been wonderful to see you enter each time and watching you grow as a soapmaker and can't wait to see you improve even more over the next 4 months :)

Well said

My soap is still so soft in the mold still /: surprisingly, one of the fragrances I used made cosmic wave glop and I had to save with a chopstick swirl. The other I really like the color scheme. Here is what they look like in the molds. I can wait til I can cut! Maybe tomorrow. I can’t believe I waited to so long to make them that I missed the entry deadline. I had evenresearched good color schemes to try!
Very nice! The first one reminds me of the wings of Monarch Butterflies 🦋

Latest posts

Back