SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit that I am happy to be done with this challenge! I definitely learned a lot and ended up with a few bars to give as nice Christmas gifts so it was well worth the effort, but I am glad it's over! I actually ended up going with my 2nd try although the colors didn't have as much contrast as some of the others, but since the zigzag turned out more even I went with it.
I never could make myself stop concentrating so hard on the pour and pay attention to the position of the mold. I guess I can't do two things at once. By the time I got done, the far end was about an inch thick and the near end was 1.5 inches thick with all kinds of waves on top. Thanks to my inability, I finally broke down and bought a planer (it's a beauty too).
If I tried a 6th time (which I'm NOT!) I would try a different mold. Maybe I would do better with a wider mold??

These are my non-entries.

#1 Blue Shocker neon (MM), Flotation Device neon (MM) & Blue Moon white (MM) - Trying for Florida Gators colors but missed the mark. Probably because I don't like the team.
Neon3.jpg

#2 is on the Entry thread

#3 Wicked (MM), Satin Grey Pillow Case (MM) & Golden Buddha (MM) - Going for UCF (University of Central Florida) colors. I think they would make good wood or rock colors, but I blended them too much.

UCF5.jpg

#4 Pastels - Berry Twist (NS), Sea Green (NS) and Yellow Vibrance (NS). Wish the bar on the left looked like the one on the right!

Pastel1.jpg

#5 Browns - Tall, Dark, & Handsome (MM), Poppycock (MM) & Champagne (MM). I forgot to clip the side of silicone mold so the loaf got a little dented.

Brown27.jpg

Did I mention that I'm glad this is over?!?!?

Thank you @dibbles for organizing this!

I have to admit that I am happy to be done with this challenge! I definitely learned a lot and ended up with a few bars to give as nice Christmas gifts so it was well worth the effort, but I am glad it's over! I actually ended up going with my 2nd try although the colors didn't have as much contrast as some of the others, but since the zigzag turned out more even I went with it.
I never could make myself stop concentrating so hard on the pour and pay attention to the position of the mold. I guess I can't do two things at once. By the time I got done, the far end was about an inch thick and the near end was 1.5 inches thick with all kinds of waves on top. Thanks to my inability, I finally broke down and bought a planer (it's a beauty too).
If I tried a 6th time (which I'm NOT!) I would try a different mold. Maybe I would do better with a wider mold??

These are my non-entries.

#1 Blue Shocker neon (MM), Flotation Device neon (MM) & Blue Moon white (MM) - Trying for Florida Gators colors but missed the mark. Probably because I don't like the team.
View attachment 48952

#2 is on the Entry thread

#3 Wicked (MM), Satin Grey Pillow Case (MM) & Golden Buddha (MM) - Going for UCF (University of Central Florida) colors. I think they would make good wood or rock colors, but I blended them too much.

View attachment 48953

#4 Pastels - Berry Twist (NS), Sea Green (NS) and Yellow Vibrance (NS). Wish the bar on the left looked like the one on the right!

View attachment 48956

#5 Browns - Tall, Dark, & Handsome (MM), Poppycock (MM) & Champagne (MM). I forgot to clip the side of silicone mold so the loaf got a little dented.

View attachment 48957

Did I mention that I'm glad this is over?!?!?

Thank you @dibbles for organizing this!
They all look great!

I had issues with the second pitcher going over the first instead of pushing it. I also found that bright colors, especially printer ink colors muddy to brown very quickly. My first try was lava and I used volcano scent. It was okay and I wanted to love it but nope, homeless shelter soap

There are some really gorgeous entries (and non entries as well!!!) I waited all month for supplies that were delayed, and then they eventually finally arrived this past Monday. My intentions were to make one or two attempts before cutoff but on the very same day that they arrived, life happened...and not in a good way. Still dealing with that and will be for some time, I would imagine. I won't be making another attempt this challenge unfortunately but I am immensely impressed with all that really dug in and created some beautiful soaps! This was much more difficult to do well than I had expected. I know that I will try it again later on since my one attempt was absolutely pathetic and I wanted to redeem myself, but right now I have other things distracting me.

@msunnerstood and @Dawni did any of you try this in HP? I'm curious how it worked out. Any other month I might have joined the HP club, maybe I'll give it a try someday, but I'd love to hear your experience!

@msunnerstood and @Dawni did any of you try this in HP? I'm curious how it worked out. Any other month I might have joined the HP club, maybe I'll give it a try someday, but I'd love to hear your experience!
I don't think I'll be able to get an entry in before the deadline :(

But I sure am gonna still try this technique sometime soon for sure.

I did, 3 times. The issue I ran into is that the colors dont come out next to each other during the pour. No matter how fluid the batter was, HP batter has a texture and one color would always move ahead of the other. I gave it my best though

Thanks for sharing your experience @msunnerstood ! I think I get what you mean with the colors not moving at the same speed. Too bad! Part of my brain is wondering if mixing the colors in the soap pot would help a little, but I doubt it. I think it's awesome that you tried this and I admire you for sticking to it by trying 3 times!

The entry thread is closed. I will PM everyone the password for voting once the survey is ready.

I just want to say that the entries are outstanding. Voting won't be easy, and I'm glad I don't have to choose! You have also been so helpful and generous to one another in sharing tips and giving encouragement. This is exactly what the spirit of these challenges are all about. What a great group of soapers we have here.

My soap did not turn out as well as I hoped, so after cutting, trimming and photographing, I was pretty sure I wouldn't enter it. I didn't use enough color intensity and also poured too thin, so the colors didn't stay as succinct as they should. I will post pics here on this thread, once I transfer them from my camera.

My soap did not turn out as well as I hoped, so after cutting, trimming and photographing, I was pretty sure I wouldn't enter it. I didn't use enough color intensity and also poured too thin, so the colors didn't stay as succinct as they should. I will post pics here on this thread, once I transfer them from my camera.
Mine didnt turn out great either, but i was proud of my end result. Would love to see yours. Im sure you are being too hard on yourself

I've considered it but I'm always afraid it will accelerate the batter... may have to live dangerously! ;)

Back