SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight, I finally got my inspiration. I know the picture doesn't look like much but it's the stem of the petunia, the petunia flower, and the lobelia in the background. Now to find the time.

20200809_184056.jpg

I tried my hand at this today. Unfortunately the Love Potion essential oil combination I used has both cinnamon and clove in it and despite a higher water content, my batter came to a hard Trace really fast so, it will probably be a beautiful soap but definitely not a zigzag! I shall try again another day with an essential oil blend that will not Trace so quickly. :rolleyes:
Sounds like it will smell lovely! But clove oil contains eugenol, which is a known trace accelerant. And sadly, both clove oil and cinnamon EOs are skin irritants. If you used enough to smell them, you almost certainly used more than is safe for skin. If you didn't do so already, please check your usage rate for those on EOCalc.com or TheSage.com.

1. msunnerstood. Im a glutton for HP Punishment
2. Jersey Girl- Looking forward to trying this technique.
3. sarahmarah-I’m down. Looks fun.
4. MissChief - only because I need to make more soap.... seriously!
5. SudsyJurn- first time in a challenge, yay!
6. AliOop - already thinking about colors...
7. dawni - I'm signing up coz I need inspiration to get my soaping mojo back lol, and like msunnerstood, I like pushing the boundaries of HP.. Fingers crossed I actually get an entry done
8. bookreader451 - I too am a glutton for punishment
9. The Gecko - I failed at the last challenge, but I'm up for another one.
10. mommycarlson - I've been MIA for a while, but i wanna try this!
11. linne1gi - My first challenge, love this technique
12. DKing - I have been wanting to try this technique for awhile so I am in this time!
13. Mobjack Bay - out of hiatus because this challenge is outta this world
14. Anstarx- You must've read my mind. I was just going to try something like this!
15. Elizevt - My First challenge. The best way to learn is to challenge yourself
16. Shunt2011 - Going to try to make the time to try this. Need to get some mojo back.
17. Rogue Soaper - I think I will give this one a swirl. OOOOHHHH Sorry
18. MarnieSoapien -Fingers crossed that I can get the time to make this!
19. SoapySuds - because I too "need" more soap.
20. The_Emerald_Chicken - Ok, I guess I'll give it a go.
21. catscankim - my first challenge. This looks so pretty
22. gardengeek - I'm usually ziggin' when my soap is zaggin'
23. Jillyb- 1st time challanger. Just can't resist.
24. SPowers - my first challenge - love the technique
25. jcandleattic - I'll try...
26. Bari b - I am in! Looking forward to it!

7. dawni - I'm signing up coz I need inspiration to get my soaping mojo back lol, and like msunnerstood, I like pushing the boundaries of HP.. Fingers crossed I actually get an entry done
12. DKing - I have been wanting to try this technique for awhile so I am in this time!
14. Anstarx- You must've read my mind. I was just going to try something like this!
15. Elizevt - My First challenge. The best way to learn is to challenge yourself
16. Shunt2011 - Going to try to make the time to try this. Need to get some mojo back.
27. SideDoorSoaps - I’m looking for something pretty to do!

27. SideDoorSoaps - I’m looking for something pretty to do!
28. szaza - I hope I can squeeze in one attempt.

I haven't tried this technique in individual molds - it would be interesting to see how it works out. I think it is possible with teeny tiny pours, but also would likely add another layer of difficulty.
I was trying something like Tree Marie “Night Violet Cosmic Wave” tutorial on you tube. I know....i am not experienced enough to follow her lol. She makes everything look so easy.

But i figured everybody was going to do a loaf, so i would try to change it up a little.

I also think my batter was too thin, but it looked to me like she poured it thin. All my colors started to blend and it looked muddy halfway through.

PLUS i think i poured too many at a time...i shoulda worked on one or two at once. I think, i dunno lol.

I was trying something like Tree Marie “Night Violet Cosmic Wave” tutorial on you tube. I know....i am not experienced enough to follow her lol. She makes everything look so easy.

But i figured everybody was going to do a loaf, so i would try to change it up a little.

I also think my batter was too thin, but it looked to me like she poured it thin. All my colors started to blend and it looked muddy halfway through.

PLUS i think i poured too many at a time...i shoulda worked on one or two at once. I think, i dunno lol.
First, I think it's good to stretch yourself and try different things, no matter your experience level! I can see that you understand the Night Violet Cosmic Wave video by Tree Marie is also a different technique than this challenge by the way you poured your soaps. I just want to mention it to avoid confusion for others. Her soap is a Cosmic Wave pour, which is not the same as the Zig Zag Cosmic Wave.

As for using only one color for each pour, that would give the "S" curve, but wouldn't have any of the feathering. I do think the dancing wave would be easier to achieve in individual molds, but that isn't the technique for this challenge. Nice try with attempting this in individual molds, and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Dancing Wave video (again - not the technique for this challenge):

First, I think it's good to stretch yourself and try different things, no matter your experience level! I can see that you understand the Night Violet Cosmic Wave video by Tree Marie is also a different technique than this challenge by the way you poured your soaps. I just want to mention it to avoid confusion for others. Her soap is a Cosmic Wave pour, which is not the same as the Zig Zag Cosmic Wave.

As for using only one color for each pour, that would give the "S" curve, but wouldn't have any of the feathering. I do think the dancing wave would be easier to achieve in individual molds, but that isn't the technique for this challenge. Nice try with attempting this in individual molds, and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Dancing Wave video (again - not the technique for this challenge):

I did three colors in the container. I guess i should clarify that i was inspired by the colors and the smaller cavity molds.

I watched a bunch of videos last night, so maybe when i get home from work tonight i will make another attempt...in a loaf mold lol

I made two. I like the first attempt better. The colors on my second are dull. I might try one more time with something even bolder. I am into brights this season :lol:
I am finding myself more drawn to brighter colours as well. Last week I decided to order a bunch of new micas and some neons as well, as I wanted something with a little more "oomph" for the challenge. But now I wait. By the looks of where they are at for shipping orders, I might not even have it shipped until next week at the very earliest. I am going to make a practice attempt soon (after a quick trip to grab some castor oil) but plan to use only natural colorants this go around. Hopefully I will have time to make an attempt with my new supplies once they show up.

I tried my second attempt tonight. Didnt work out so well, so i turned it into something else. I started out with the right pour, got pissed off at it and ended up with an in the pot swirl cause it was the only way to save it.

can i bow out of this or do i need to make a submission? I got a lot on my mind

I have made two attempts....I like my second one better at this point, but it still isn't great. I cut all my soaps with a knife, so when I try to slice off a very thin slice to reveal more of the pattern they tend to not look as nice.

I am letting my second batch harden up a little more and will try shaving a bit of them today. We will see if it looks good enough to enter or not!

I have been looking at those slicers that trim off thin sections and trying to figure out if I can make one.

I don't know if I will attempt another or move on but I have learned a lot!

Back