SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. msunnerstood. Im a glutton for HP Punishment
2. Jersey Girl- Looking forward to trying this technique.
3. sarahmarah-I’m down. Looks fun.
4. MissChief - only because I need to make more soap.... seriously!
5. SudsyJurn- first time in a challenge, yay!
6. AliOop - already thinking about colors...
7. dawni - I'm signing up coz I need inspiration to get my soaping mojo back lol, and like msunnerstood, I like pushing the boundaries of HP.. Fingers crossed I actually get an entry done
8. bookreader451 - I too am a glutton for punishment
9. The Gecko - I failed at the last challenge, but I'm up for another one.
10. mommycarlson - I've been MIA for a while, but i wanna try this!
11. linne1gi - My first challenge, love this technique
12. DKing - I have been wanting to try this technique for awhile so I am in this time!
13. Mobjack Bay - out of hiatus because this challenge is outta this world
14. Anstarx- You must've read my mind. I was just going to try something like this!
15. Elizevt - My First challenge. The best way to learn is to challenge yourself
16. Shunt2011 - Going to try to make the time to try this. Need to get some mojo back.
17. Rogue Soaper - I think I will give this one a swirl. OOOOHHHH Sorry
18. MarnieSoapien -Fingers crossed that I can get the time to make this!
19. SoapySuds - because I too "need" more soap.
20. The_Emerald_Chicken - Ok, I guess I'll give it a go.
21. catscankim - my first challenge. This looks so pretty

7. dawni - I'm signing up coz I need inspiration to get my soaping mojo back lol, and like msunnerstood, I like pushing the boundaries of HP.. Fingers crossed I actually get an entry done
12. DKing - I have been wanting to try this technique for awhile so I am in this time!
14. Anstarx- You must've read my mind. I was just going to try something like this!
15. Elizevt - My First challenge. The best way to learn is to challenge yourself
16. Shunt2011 - Going to try to make the time to try this. Need to get some mojo back.
22. gardengeek - I'm usually ziggin' when my soap is zaggin'

23. Jillyb- 1st time challanger. Just can't resist.

I tried my first attempt yesterday. It went better than I expected, but I was a nervous wreck! This is such a great learning experience.

My recipe and FO behaved well, however I made a few observations on my technique I'd like to share.

1. I was concentrating so hard on my pouring method and going so slow that the batter bunched up in my mold. I don't know if I left the towel propped up at the end too long. The top (or what I refer to as the OML (outer mold line)) is bumpy or wavy. I'll have to cut that off, which I'm planning to anyway because I'm sure it's going to be loaded with ash.

2. I didn't pour in each corner long enough so my zig & zags meet in the middle. In other words, there's almost a line going down the center instead of having a wavy look.

3. It worked better for me to lay the colors in the container in stripes (inline with the spout) instead of pouring them down the side of the container on top of each other.

I'm having a REALLY hard time not looking in the box. I want to go 72 hours without exposing it to air and it's killing me already! Ugh!

I tried my first attempt yesterday. It went better than I expected, but I was a nervous wreck! This is such a great learning experience.

My recipe and FO behaved well, however I made a few observations on my technique I'd like to share.

1. I was concentrating so hard on my pouring method and going so slow that the batter bunched up in my mold. I don't know if I left the towel propped up at the end too long. The top (or what I refer to as the OML (outer mold line)) is bumpy or wavy. I'll have to cut that off, which I'm planning to anyway because I'm sure it's going to be loaded with ash.

2. I didn't pour in each corner long enough so my zig & zags meet in the middle. In other words, there's almost a line going down the center instead of having a wavy look.

3. It worked better for me to lay the colors in the container in stripes (inline with the spout) instead of pouring them down the side of the container on top of each other.

I'm having a REALLY hard time not looking in the box. I want to go 72 hours without exposing it to air and it's killing me already! Ugh!
Thanks for sharing your learning experiences! When the batter reaches the far end of the mold, it will probably bunch up a bit but I have found that those can be some of my favorite bars of the batch.

Practicing the pouring technique (the little wiggle) and speed with an empty container might be helpful.

I tried my hand at this today. Unfortunately the Love Potion essential oil combination I used has both cinnamon and clove in it and despite a higher water content, my batter came to a hard Trace really fast so, it will probably be a beautiful soap but definitely not a zigzag! I shall try again another day with an essential oil blend that will not Trace so quickly. :rolleyes:

I tried this the other night in a 12-bar mold. They did not turn out well at all. As a matter of fact, they are so ugly, i might throw them away lol.

At first I thought, maybe they wont look so bad once i pop them out. Noooo, they look worse lol

my next attempt is going to be unscented so i dont waste another bottle of fragrance

I tried this the other night in a 12-bar mold. They did not turn out well at all. As a matter of fact, they are so ugly, i might throw them away lol.

At first I thought, maybe they wont look so bad once i pop them out. Noooo, they look worse lol

my next attempt is going to be unscented so i dont waste another bottle of fragrance

I'm sure the soap is still usable. Rather donate it to a shelter. I'm sure there is someone who will be very grateful for your soap, no matter what it looks like. It will still smell pretty.

By 12 bar mold, do you mean individual cavities?

1st attempt yesturday.
My batter was to thin to start and blended to much in places. So Im going to try it ahain and allow it to thicken a tiny bit so it sits on top of each colour pouring into jug.
Also in my panic I forgot to strain out my indgo so have specks..

Attachments

• 20200809_113126.jpg
    20200809_113126.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 53
21 SPowers - my first challenge - love the technique

1st attempt yesturday.
My batter was to thin to start and blended to much in places. So Im going to try it ahain and allow it to thicken a tiny bit so it sits on top of each colour pouring into jug.
Also in my panic I forgot to strain out my indgo so have specks..

@Jillyb I love your color combo!

23. Jillyb- 1st time challanger. Just can't resist.
24. SPowers - my first challenge - love the technique
25. jcandleattic - I'll try...

Back