SMF April 2022 Soap Challenge - Straight Line design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was briefly entertaining entering this challenge but after seeing @AliOop and @Vicki C 's entries, I am definitely out! Complete with beveling and natural colorants to boot! Incredible work.
And @Kimimarie84 , your soaps look good enough to eat, and the eggs are the perfect backdrop!
Thank you so much!!! That means a lot to me; I appreciate it. 🥰🥰🥰

Is everyone busy making soap? I’m still struggling with the math for the layers and fretting over the recipe-FO combination. 🤣

eta: 6.5 hours later I’m 2/3 of the way through the soap. I cleaned windows while waiting for layers to set up. I guess I should make layered soaps more often.

eta: next day… one layer decided to accelerate. Huh??? Last layer is now poured and the soap is in the oven for a little cpop time. Who knows how that will go. I didn’t want to have the first part cool all the way off before I poured the last bit. Halo phobia!

I tried a few new things in this soap and am feeling totally bummed that I can’t unmold until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not going to enter, my layers are anything but straight!

I won't have an opportunity to try again before the deadline either, but it was fun to have a go, and I learned that I really don't know when soap is set without poking it! I'll certainly be having another try in the future though. I also had a thought about "floating" very liquid layers on top of eachother, similar to how we floated layers of alcohol on eachother to make fancy drinks when I was at uni... I suspect it won't end up with straight layers though. 🤔

All that said, I still think this is a nice soap; the colours and fragrance I chose to together well, and I'm pretty sure no one I give it to will complain about the "rustic" layers... 🤣

IMG_20220424_141210__01__01.jpg

@Babyshoes that’s a pretty soap - that color combo is one of my favorites. ❤ I wish you had entered it!
Aww, thank you! It doesn't fulfill the basic elements of the brief so I decided to bow out this time, but hopefully I'll have something to enter in the future. 😊

Is everyone busy making soap? I’m still struggling with the math for the layers and fretting over the recipe-FO combination. 🤣

eta: 6.5 hours later I’m 2/3 of the way through the soap. I cleaned windows while waiting for layers to set up. I guess I should make layered soaps more often.

eta: next day… one layer decided to accelerate. Huh??? Last layer is now poured and the soap is in the oven for a little cpop time. Who knows how that will go. I didn’t want to have the first part cool all the way off before I poured the last bit. Halo phobia!

I tried a few new things in this soap and am feeling totally bummed that I can’t unmold until tomorrow.

i had an all day soaping session on my second attempt which is not an entry as I lost my patience half way through. Lol. I made the mistake of using a slow moving recipe. I was better off just using my regular recipe for this challenge. No one needs to move THAT slow when waiting for layers to set up! 😂

i had an all day soaping session on my second attempt which is not an entry as I lost my patience half way through. Lol. I made the mistake of using a slow moving recipe. I was better off just using my regular recipe for this challenge. No one needs to move THAT slow when waiting for layers to set up! 😂
🤣 It only takes one small distraction to screw me up when I’m making a built soap. I went the mix every layer individually route with a well behaved EO, but upped the stearic content of my recipe a little to speed things up a bit. I only had the acceleration problem with the one layer that I made during a brief conversation with a loved one ❤ who forgot the rule about not talking to me when I’m making soap 🤪. I may have measured something wrong, or possibly just SB’d for too long, which would be better for the outcome. In general, the layers were taking about 15-20 minutes to look dull, but I was letting them set up for 30-45 minutes to stay on the safe side. On the plus side, my windows look great.

I’m guessing that my loaf is going to be more “proof of concept” than competition level. I stuck with the test mold and ended up making two layers that were only 20 g of batter. There will be bubbles :tub:

🤣 It only takes one small distraction to screw me up when I’m making a built soap. I went the mix every layer individually route with a well behaved EO, but upped the stearic content of my recipe a little to speed things up a bit. I only had the acceleration problem with the one layer that I made during a brief conversation with a loved one ❤ who forgot the rule about not talking to me when I’m making soap 🤪. I may have measured something wrong, or possibly just SB’d for too long, which would be better for the outcome. In general, the layers were taking about 15-20 minutes to look dull, but I was letting them set up for 30-45 minutes to stay on the safe side. On the plus side, my windows look great.

I’m guessing that my loaf is going to be more “proof of concept” than competition level. I stuck with the test mold and ended up making two layers that were only 20 g of batter. There will be bubbles :tub:

Sounds eerily similar to my session. 😂 Hey…lots of bubbles…clean windows…what more can we ask for?! 😂

Thank you all for making and sharing your beautiful soaps! They were al amazing and I really enjoyed reading your stories. I just sent out the voting link to the people who have signed up. Please let me know if I missed someone!

Latest posts

Back