SMF April 2021 Challenge - Lollipop Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bummed too! Really! Since I don't know how your colors were supposed to look for this attempt, I think the bars are quite lovely. Perhaps you can see it "in person", but the white part looks white in pic, with no splotches.
I got a better pic of the splotches today! 😅Maybe someone will enlighten me. I’m not sure if they’re stearic spots? Maybe the oils were too cold?

Attachments

• AC17F993-D31F-4A89-9DCA-48EBACC39189.jpeg
    AC17F993-D31F-4A89-9DCA-48EBACC39189.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 25
I've marked what I'd call stearic spots on these soaps:
peachymoon.jpg
There are a few, but totally nothing to worry about. But I guess you are asking about the patches inside the white? Stearic spots are a matter of soap recipe and temperature protocol – both are identical for obvious reasons, except for the colourants. Did you add titanium dioxide to brighten up the white? (I'm asking because I don't have experience with glycerin rivers to exclude them as the culprit.)

I've marked what I'd call stearic spots on these soaps:
View attachment 56708
There are a few, but totally nothing to worry about. But I guess you are asking about the patches inside the white? Stearic spots are a matter of soap recipe and temperature protocol – both are identical for obvious reasons, except for the colourants. Did you add titanium dioxide to brighten up the white? (I'm asking because I don't have experience with glycerin rivers to exclude them as the culprit.)

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I used a bit of titanium dioxide. It just doesn't look like glycerin rivers I've seen before, which kinda look more stringy throughout. This one threw me off 'cos the splotches of mismatched color in the "white" part is all clumped together. 🤔

As I said, I (luckily) have not had glycerin rivers yet, so I can only theoretise about them second-hand. Most glycerin rivers I've seen were vertical cuts through (more or less) massive cuboid soap loaves. Yours is a horizontal cut through a (swirled) cylinder – I have no idea how they would look like.

What's the opinion of glycerin river veterans?

I don't think it looks like rivers to me either, but it does look like ash. I assume you used a fairly high water to lye ratio to maintain fluidity, right? How new or old was the soap when you cut it? Do the spots wash off with hot water? Or if you scratch it with a fingernail, does it seem crusty as it comes off and looks smooth underneath?

As the soap cures, I have seen that sometimes ash will form on soap cut while still fairly new and fairly soft. With a soap made with a fairly high water content, I have noticed that what appears to be ash seems to return (not always, but sometimes) until well cured.

I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

I don't think it looks like rivers to me either, but it does look like ash.
I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
Seeing the enlarged pics, I agree that most of it looks like ash to me, as well, with one spot that still looks like glycerin rivers to me. Photos can be tough.

First place: @glendam
Second place: @Jersey Girl
Third place: @Tara_H
CONGRATS EVERYONE - SO WELL DONE!! 🙌👏👊

Congratulations @glendam @Jersey Girl and @Tara_H! Everyone made lovely soaps for this challenge and it was fun following along. I did make the lollipop part of my soap, but never had time to complete the project I had planned.

Special thanks to @Primrose for hosting!

Dibbles please show us your soap when you get a chance to finish it! :D

Back