SMF April 2021 Challenge - Lollipop Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, here's a question... @Primrose, is one allowed to plane challenge soaps in general? I looked back on some old challenge announcements and only saw one mention planing, where it was mentioned specifically as being allowed.
I used my very first planer tonight on my soaps from last month's challenge and WOW what a difference! Of course, I then started wondering about how this month's challenge soap would change with each pass on the planer, which got me to wondering if it's even allowed. :) TIA!

So, here's a question... @Primrose, is one allowed to plane challenge soaps in general? I looked back on some old challenge announcements and only saw one mention planing, where it was mentioned specifically as being allowed.
I used my very first planer tonight on my soaps from last month's challenge and WOW what a difference! Of course, I then started wondering about how this month's challenge soap would change with each pass on the planer, which got me to wondering if it's even allowed. :) TIA!

I would say in almost all cases yes planing would be allowed and I know many entrants bevel and plane their entries as part of their standard presentation. I imagine if there was a challenge that planing would interfere with the entry, the challenge host would probably mention that it wasn't allowed for that particular challenge.

I would say in almost all cases yes planing would be allowed and I know many entrants bevel and plane their entries as part of their standard presentation. I imagine if there was a challenge that planing would interfere with the entry, the challenge host would probably mention that it wasn't allowed for that particular challenge.
Wahoo!! I get to play with my planer more today! 😁 Can't wait to see what each teeny tiny sliver reveals. So.Excited.

I see no one has pulled the trigger on posting in the entry thread. Methinks, perhaps, everyone is thinking, "One more try!" before doing so. 🤪
I'm hoping to soap tomorrow, and if I do get to give it a try, I'll be signing up and posting my entry all at the same time. :) No promises, though - still much to do after our recent move.

Was carrying my soaps upstairs to photo in natural light and... I . Dropped . Them . All . Of . Them . And . They're . Round . So . They . Just . Rolled . All . Over .
Me thinks I might have a wee glass of wine with dinner tonight...

cryingsnoopy.gif

Well... I fixed them up best I could. I suppose I could give it another go, but I have a busy weekend coming up. A few dings I couldn't smooth and I had to remove the rim from one because it was a lost cause, but they're soap and they're still cute! At least I'm good about sweeping the basement floor otherwise they'd also be covered in BEAGLE hair. LOL

Here are the first attempts. @ResolvableOwl , I considered making the melted mold outcome into an embedded rendition of "The Scream" for my entry, but I liked the next attempt too much. 😁

The first attempt was doomed from the start as I mixed and poured the rim colors in the smaller center mold. When I realized my mistake, I started chunking in bits of soap dough. Just seemed the thing to do! Then I mixed up some black and gray batter, secured a larger column mold around the smaller center mold, and filled that larger mold with the black and gray batter. Then, I *swooop* lifted the center mold out and away. Hot Mess. In the middle of the column I actually ended up with the "two eyeballs" effect, which are on the under sides in the pic.
Gold Star if you can see the Baby Dragon and the Psychedelic Cookie Monster!

IMG_5466.JPG

Was carrying my soaps upstairs to photo in natural light and... I . Dropped . Them . All . Of . Them . And . They're . Round . So . They . Just . Rolled . All . Over .
Me thinks I might have a wee glass of wine with dinner tonight...
NOOOOOO. If I had ice cream in the house (my addictive substance of choice), I would have eaten the whole carton in total sympathy and solidarity with your pain.

After seeing your entry photos, obviously you recovered quite well. So why do I still want ice cream??

NOOOOOO. If I had ice cream in the house (my addictive substance of choice), I would have eaten the whole carton in total sympathy and solidarity with your pain.

After seeing your entry photos, obviously you recovered quite well. So why do I still want ice cream??
Because ice cream is good for you!!! 😁

Here are the first attempts. @ResolvableOwl , I considered making the melted mold outcome into an embedded rendition of "The Scream" for my entry, but I liked the next attempt too much. 😁

The first attempt was doomed from the start as I mixed and poured the rim colors in the smaller center mold. When I realized my mistake, I started chunking in bits of soap dough. Just seemed the thing to do! Then I mixed up some black and gray batter, secured a larger column mold around the smaller center mold, and filled that larger mold with the black and gray batter. Then, I *swooop* lifted the center mold out and away. Hot Mess. In the middle of the column I actually ended up with the "two eyeballs" effect, which are on the under sides in the pic.
Gold Star if you can see the Baby Dragon and the Psychedelic Cookie Monster!

View attachment 56438

I see Cookie Monster! ♥️

Subconscious soap design interpretation is the new Rorschach test? I'm in!
1619263783686.png

de Saint-Exupéry's Petit Prince but with a very unhealthy skin colour.
And of course I'm enough of a cookie monster myself that I'll recognise my conspecifics on the first glance!

@KimW
I'm so happy that you not only got the soap out of that buckled bottle, but it also looks that awesome! Such a gentle pressure, that didn't destroy anything, but merely deformed the shape in a way that is impossible to reach on purpose 😃. Of course, one is never satisfied with “less than optimal” (in one's own opinion) results. I'm glad that you showed us yours anyway!

I'd have loved the idea of a Skrik Lollipop inset, but I think this batch wouldn't be optimal for that, the colours alone don't come up to Munch's gaudy palette. And you would never know beforehand how often you would cut the swirl at a satisfactory position to match the original (That'd mean an awful lot of planing). But now, that you (still?) have that skewed bottle, it's a mere matter of effort until you'll have perfected SkrikSwirlSoap😝.

Well... I fixed them up best I could. I suppose I could give it another go, but I have a busy weekend coming up. A few dings I couldn't smooth and I had to remove the rim from one because it was a lost cause, but they're soap and they're still cute! At least I'm good about sweeping the basement floor otherwise they'd also be covered in BEAGLE hair. LOL
Boy they look flawless to me... great design and so well executed!

Back