SMF April 2021 Challenge - Lollipop Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, it's less than a fiver, and I really like the idea of being able to see through it, at least while I'm getting the hang of the concept. I'm not sure if it's tapered or if it's just the photos, if the worst comes to the worst I'll have a new tool holder to replace the coffee mug which is currently serving that function :)
If you end up searching for something else and you have a Tesco near you, they have salt in what looks like plastic cylinders. You could empty out and store the salt and use the container, if it's the right type of plastic. I looked because I use the salt cylinders from Trader Joe's for my round molds.
Not that I'm suggesting storing Pringles, rather than eating them, to get another container! :shakinghead:

(Please copy & Paste, add your name along with the next appropriate number.)

1. earlene - I have a few days before surgery, it will probably be my last soap for at least 6-8 weeks
2. dibbles - This will be super fun or very 'exciting' - I'm in
3.Vicki C. - My last day of work is today! Yippee! Soap studio here I come...
4. Tara_H - this is on my bucket list, I'm so in!
5. KimW - Found and fell in love with this about the time I found SMF. Now I have a reason to finally try it!
6. Jersey Girl- Yes, yes, yes! Been wanting to try this!
7. peachymoon - I’m back! And I’m in! :D
8. amd - maybe I can pop a soap for fun into my to do list this month
9. glendam - I have been thinking of trying this technique, good timing!
10. Anstarx - I've been wanting to try this technique for a while. This can be just my push!

If anyone in the UK is planning to use a pringles tube, I calculated the volume of one I had in the cupboard - to the brim is approximately 1.1 litres, so around a kilo of oils is probably about right if you want it full, but of course it needn't be totally full.

I might give this a go next time I have energy to soap - no guarantees when that will be though, so I'll only sign up if looks like I'll have something to enter...

I had a brainwave this morning and realised that all the squeezy bottles I bought and don't use most of (they came in a pack of 10) are basically cylindrical! So naturally I had to do some testing.

I've been working on getting a thinner batter for the past little while, so I threw all the tricks at this batch... I think it was a bit too successful. I heard an offhand mention on a Tree Marie video that citrus EO can slow trace, so I used lime for this one. I don't know if it's possible that it actually reversed trace but I feel like that's what happened!

IMG_20210402_112817.jpg

The mica seemed to separate out, and even though it was a tiny batch and I used the SB after splitting (after I took the pic above), it stayed fluid right until the end and now it looks like some oil is starting to float to the top :eek:

It's been CPOP'ing for about an hour and a half at this point. I guess I'll leave it and see how it looks tomorrow. Hopefully it's not ruined but at least it's only a tiny amount (about 260g total batter) so not much waste if it is.

Apart from all of that, the hardest thing I find was keeping my hands still. They tend to shake, so I made a lovely mess. Will load up on the beta blockers for next attempt!
IMG_20210402_114739.jpg

I had a brainwave this morning and realised that all the squeezy bottles I bought and don't use most of (they came in a pack of 10) are basically cylindrical! So naturally I had to do some testing.

I've been working on getting a thinner batter for the past little while, so I threw all the tricks at this batch... I think it was a bit too successful. I heard an offhand mention on a Tree Marie video that citrus EO can slow trace, so I used lime for this one. I don't know if it's possible that it actually reversed trace but I feel like that's what happened!

View attachment 55744

The mica seemed to separate out, and even though it was a tiny batch and I used the SB after splitting (after I took the pic above), it stayed fluid right until the end and now it looks like some oil is starting to float to the top :eek:

It's been CPOP'ing for about an hour and a half at this point. I guess I'll leave it and see how it looks tomorrow. Hopefully it's not ruined but at least it's only a tiny amount (about 260g total batter) so not much waste if it is.

Apart from all of that, the hardest thing I find was keeping my hands still. They tend to shake, so I made a lovely mess. Will load up on the beta blockers for next attempt!
View attachment 55743
Reverse trace is a thing, and I've had that happen to me before! I just made the recipe again, same FO and everything, and mixed more before pouring. Now I'm a bit more careful about mixing anything that "slows trace" to make sure that it doesn't back me right on out of it.

I probably shouldn't go on another Pringles eating binge... And dedicated moulds are on the pricey side. I'm thinking to buy one of these and make a hole in the bottom or cut it off entirely, for poking purposes. Any reason why I shouldn't?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MCQK...abc_2CRSVS0B9KK3EH4R61C9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I just (today) ordered some custom acrylic pipe sections from a company in NY. Same reason, I wanted to see through them and my 11” pvc is just too tall to be able to do successful pull throughs. The shop I ordered from is making two 6”, two 8” and two 10” pipes. The thing about dealing with a closed end acrylic mold is that I think acrylic is quite tricky to work with - cracks easily.

1. earlene - I have a few days before surgery, it will probably be my last soap for at least 6-8 weeks
5. KimW - Found and fell in love with this about the time I found SMF. Now I have a reason to finally try it!
10. Anstarx - I've been wanting to try this technique for a while. This can be just my push!
11. bookreader451 - I will try to get it in on time this month!

12. ResolvableOwl - Screw it. Cross-over escalation time!

13. Corsara - I'm going to sign up quick before I get cold feet and convince myself I can't do it!

13. Corsara - I'm going to sign up quick before I get cold feet and convince myself I can't do it!
14. Phoenix - This will be fun!

The challenge poses no limit to the technique. So I took the opportunity to practice the Lollipop technique, and at the same time (instead of growing my stockpile of CP soaps) waste some of my ugliest melt&pour leftovers for this. I placed the M&P beakers into a hot water bath to keep them warm and fluid (although it took only a few minutes). Still many things to optimise, but I already learned a lot, and didn't have to deal with lye. It doesn't look good? No problem, just melt it up again!

m+p_lollipop_01.jpg

A few lessons learned:
  • The different batters have to have the same density. I used two different M&P batches, just to find out that the heavier one would always sink to the bottom, and any layering would collapse. You don't have to care about this if you make one base batter, and additions (colourants etc.) are only minor.
  • The dough was opaque (including titanium dioxide), and I found that caramel syrup is a viable way to darken it. In fact, it reminds me (once again!) of chocolate, or rather nougat/gianduja.
  • The little grainy, tactile pieces in my M&P base are not ideal. Lollipop swirl isn't happy to be disturbed by batter texture inhomogeneity (same for skin formation).
  • This was a 50 mL PE bottle (Thanks for the pointer, @Tara_H !), and it was probably a bit too small (or I just was too impatient). Keep the cylinder vertical upright and pay attention that the batters really run down the wall, and not splash directly down into the existing forms.
Definitely not my last “test run”. And once again, pardon for the ugly colour palette. (I cannot promise that it will become better, though).

Edit: I can't operate my keyboard, sigh.

Last edited:

15. linne1gi - Love this challenge - definitely challenging!

15. linne1gi - Love this challenge - definitely challenging!

1. You will require a cylinder/column mold for this technique. If you do not have a specific soap mold, an empty Pringles can works very well. PVC pipes are also suitable, or anything else a similar shape.
image.jpg
@Primrose, question, I have a box from a Glenlivet bottle that is slightly out of round - like a triangle with rounded corners. I think it would be fun to use as a column mold, but I don’t know if this falls outside the rules. Your thoughts?

This was a 50 mL PE bottle
Small indeed! Mine are 250ml and I found that just about right for a test. I get about 6 small but decent sized soaps out of that and there's enough slices to see what's going on inside.

I've been very interested to see the effect of the distance between pours, and the quantity poured. What I'm seeing with my tests is that pouring a small amount (less than halfway into the centre) and closely spaced gives a tight pinwheel effect, and wider spacing with bigger pours gives that more lazy loop look that I think you most often see with this technique.

I also find that I like pouring the same colour in the same place on each rotation, to get stripes down the sides rather than a confused effect.

1. You will require a cylinder/column mold for this technique. If you do not have a specific soap mold, an empty Pringles can works very well. PVC pipes are also suitable, or anything else a similar shape.
View attachment 55815
@Primrose, question, I have a box from a Glenlivet bottle that is slightly out of round - like a triangle with rounded corners. I think it would be fun to use as a column mold, but I don’t know if this falls outside the rules. Your thoughts?

I think that mold is fine to use, as you'll be using the correct technique. However I'm not 100% sure if you'll get the desired result at the end. Try it and see!

Back