SMF April 2021 Challenge - Lollipop Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether or not I ever get this pour done right, I’ll probably keep try ‘cause I miss round soaps and no matter how big of a failure the pour is... it is still a pretty soap! This try my son picked out the fragrance which accelerated a wee bit and the colors which I love. The Trial by Fire is a lovely red!
DE1D4C8D-3806-4276-856B-822D21FAB0A9.jpeg
one more to cut... it’s in the freezer, I actually can’t get it out of the mold!. Lol!

Last edited:
Cut attempt #2 today and it's just about perfect. Want to make a third attempt to play around with different colors, but I've got the pour down. I've watched the I Dream In Soap video, but I use a different brand of lye and the containers are pretty rigid. I bought some paper cups so hopefully those will help with the pour. There's something very meditative about making this design.

Or one of these funnel spouted cups: View attachment 56100
I've been using these but it's really hard to keep them just so near the rim without slipping while looking down the column.

Whether or not I ever get this pour done right, I’ll probably keep try ‘cause I miss round soaps and no matter how big of a failure the pour is... it is still a pretty soap! This try my son picked out the fragrance which accelerated a wee bit and the colors which I love. The Trial by Fire is a lovely red!
View attachment 56111
one more to cut... it’s in the freezer, I actually can’t get it out of the mold!. Lol!
These are beautiful!! I think they're perfect just as they are.

Ok... I think I’m gonna have to bow out of this month’s challenge. I just can’t get the pour anywhere close to what it’s supposed to be. This is a tough one! It was always a fun pour, but definitely a challenge! I cut my last try and of the 5 this is my absolute favorite. The Earth meets sky FO is Devine! And I’m not a fan of patchouli, but I’m definitely a fan of this FO. My colors are Moraccan red clay, Paprika powder & Green Tea powder. Just love it! The middle one is my favorite bar. I planed one side (it’s either the top or bottom) and I love the swirl that showed up!
98CAE1EA-9A15-4ECB-A9AE-675572114B6D.jpeg

I think those Silicon measuring cups would work fabulous for this technique. Wish I had some. I used paper cups.
Right? I think silicone measuring cups would work great but they are expensive.
Ok... I think I’m gonna have to bow out of this month’s challenge. I just can’t get the pour anywhere close to what it’s supposed to be. This is a tough one! It was always a fun pour, but definitely a challenge! I cut my last try and of the 5 this is my absolute favorite. The Earth meets sky FO is Devine! And I’m not a fan of patchouli, but I’m definitely a fan of this FO. My colors are Moraccan red clay, Paprika powder & Green Tea powder. Just love it! The middle one is my favorite bar. I planed one side (it’s either the top or bottom) and I love the swirl that showed up!
View attachment 56113
I’ve had my eye on that FO for a while. Honestly, I think these are stunning. From what I can see, you have a good technical pour. Could the batter be too thick?

When I pour, I keep my eye on the rim and after each pour I rotate the column about 1/2” and eye the next pour 1/2” next to the last. I wipe off the rim when I’ve gone a full rotation so I don’t get confused from the previous pours. Take a deep breath. Maybe talked day to regroup. And get after it again. I’ve found the when I decide to throw the towel in on something, it’s that moment after that, when I’m gritting my teeth and feeling the fight in me, that’s when that thing clicks.

You got this...

@Vicki C
Hmmmmmm....I wonder if what I do would help? Not sure if I can explain. Try pouring it similar to as you would EO/FO out of a bottle. That is, pour the soap down a skewer or such, and position the skewer so that it lands the batter down the mold wall where you want it. Something akin to the below pic except it's usually a two-handed operation because depending on my pouring vessel (what the batter's in) and the batter trace I don't/can't generally hold the skewer against my batter vessel one-handed. Usually, I pour gently OVER the skewer, rather than the batter flowing under and along the skewer. You do have to be careful to not tip over your mold, but it works a treat for finicky pour designs like this one.

ETA - oops forgot the pic
View attachment 56095
Thank you! I will try your way! 👍

I've had so much fun practicing this Lollipop design' though Ive yet to make one presentable' lol 🤣. Ive used the Pringles Chip Can' I leave the bottom on' then I line it w/ freezer paper, removing the soap I'll use a can opener to remove the bottom then find a cup or something close to the size of mold & I push it out the opposite end. What i've used to pour my colors is a paper cup' I can squeeze the top pretty narrow that makes pouring easy for me.

I’m sitting out for this challenge due to other things I need to get done this month (including helping to find my new boss). It sure sounds like a challenging challenge. Good luck everyone!

Thank you' maybe next month you can join. 🤗💫

Or one of these funnel spouted cups: View attachment 56100

I love these funnel cups' I was lucky to find two at marshals for 2.50 both are different sizes but I don't mind they aren't matching. 💫👍🏼

I’m sitting out for this challenge due to other things I need to get done this month (including helping to find my new boss). It sure sounds like a challenging challenge. Good luck everyone!
Darn. You always make such unique soaps. I’d love to see you take a crack at the design when you have time. You’re very talented at this soap thing.

I was also tempted by silicon measuring cups, but after extensive searching online, their cost and then shipping on top of that, just put me off. I think I had a few in different vendor shopping carts to compare and then just decided that it wasn't the right time to buy. Maybe the price will come down eventually and then I'll give them a try.

I was also tempted by silicon measuring cups, but after extensive searching online, their cost and then shipping on top of that, just put me off. I think I had a few in different vendor shopping carts to compare and then just decided that it wasn't the right time to buy. Maybe the price will come down eventually and then I'll give them a try.
I had done the same thing' had them in my cart but changed my mind' then when I saw them at Marshals for a great price I snatched them up. they are handy for pouring in some situations not all.

So, the batter for my first attempt starting thickening up way too fast and I had to make the decision to pour it into a loaf mold in a panic. I’ve enjoyed seeing everyone’s attempts so I thought I’d share. I love the accidental design, but it’s not quite a lollipop swirl! 😂

I’m doing attempt #2 today with a totally different recipe & colors, and I’m waiting til the lye solution & oils are cooler. We’ll see how that goes!

Attachments

• 6A11CAF9-ECA2-4476-B4E3-9F4D5D1287F8.jpeg
    6A11CAF9-ECA2-4476-B4E3-9F4D5D1287F8.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 13
So, the batter for my first attempt starting thickening up way too fast and I had to make the decision to pour it into a loaf mold in a panic. I’ve enjoyed seeing everyone’s attempts so I thought I’d share. I love the accidental design, but it’s not quite a lollipop swirl! 😂

I’m doing attempt #2 today with a totally different recipe & colors, and I’m waiting til the lye solution & oils are cooler. We’ll see how that goes!
A very nice drop swirl! Great colors!

Beautifully accidental! 🥰

I had done the same thing' had them in my cart but changed my mind' then when I saw them at Marshals for a great price I snatched them up. they are handy for pouring in some situations not all.
I'll have to find a Marshall's. There's actually one in the Cities, right next door to the Walmart Super Center; I should pop in there next time I'm in the neighborhood. Not that I will expect them to be there when I show up. In my experience, Marshall's stock varies everytime I go there. I used to shop them more often in California when it was first built in the town where I lived.

Beautiful result.

Practice LolliPop Swirl
I had a strange mishap as I was practicing the Lollipop Design' when I got about 3/4 to the top of mold I'd pour my color & it would appear to sink' I thought how strange? then poured again & same thing the color sank out of sight, this continued tell I reached the top' I thought its was probably ruined thinking colors sank to the bottom of mold
(thinking the worst scenario)🙃😂
When I cut it the next day about 3/4 from the top it looked like the colors become muted.
I cant figure out why this happened' the soap remained fluid throughout the pour, dunno 🤷🏻‍♀️' I'll try again today.

I'll have to find a Marshall's. There's actually one in the Cities, right next door to the Walmart Super Center; I should pop in there next time I'm in the neighborhood. Not that I will expect them to be there when I show up. In my experience, Marshall's stock varies everytime I go there. I used to shop them more often in California when it was first built in the town where I lived.

Marshalls is great' the only thing its always new merchandise' Ive learned if you see something you like grab it' cause if you go back latter to pick it up chances are it will be gone. 💫😉

Beautiful result.

My second attempt might be my entry.. it's not quite right, but I've run out of tallow and most of my oils. For my first ever attempt at any kind of swirl, I'm pretty pleased! I used empty sour cream containers, and they had fairly flexible rims, and a 3 inch pvc pipe greased with vaseline. It came out easily after 15 minutes in the freezer.

I love it! The colors are so pretty.

Back