SMF April 2021 Challenge - Lollipop Swirl

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dibbles please show us your soap when you get a chance to finish it! :D
This is the soap I started for the challenge. It got too warm and I had some silicone rash on the edges, so I cut that part off with a cookie cutter. I really only planned to put the round soaps in a slab mold and pour new batter around them to make square bars, but I doubt I will bother doing that now. They are a nice size for hand washing. I also like the way the edges look when they have been trimmed a little. I knew I wouldn't have much time to make soap in April - I had even less time than anticipated, though. It was fun to see what everyone was working on and I still enjoyed the challenge that way!

Attachments

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the soap I started for the challenge. It got too warm and I had some silicone rash on the edges, so I cut that part off with a cookie cutter. I really only planned to put the round soaps in a slab mold and pour new batter around them to make square bars, but I doubt I will bother doing that now. They are a nice size for hand washing. I also like the way the edges look when they have been trimmed a little. I knew I wouldn't have much time to make soap in April - I had even less time than anticipated, though. It was fun to see what everyone was working on and I still enjoyed the challenge that way!
They look great. I did what you were going to do with some failed attempts. It was too long from when I poured the round soap though and they didn’t bond. So now I have some white shredded soap to use as snow confetti! Also they were HUGE because my rounds are 3 inch so the soaps were 4 inch squares!

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look great. I did what you were going to do with some failed attempts. It was too long from when I poured the round soap though and they didn’t bond. So now I have some white shredded soap to use as snow confetti! Also they were HUGE because my rounds are 3 inch so the soaps were 4 inch squares!
Thank you. I've waited too long and had the embed not bond with the new soap too, which is why I'm just planning to leave well enough alone. Snow confetti is nice 🤪

Vicki C

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are GORGEOUS... I love these colors.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 56935

What normal people see: chocolate covered hazelnuts

What I see: the next Lollipop swirl mould!
Normal people? I see kalamata olives (first glance, not reading the label, of course - and yes, the shape is a bit off, but I do love kalamata olives.)

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Finally I grated up jellified with a planer. It really was worth the hassle to trickle the melted M&P base between the rice gratings; I should have done this from the very beginning. But see yourself:

planed_sushi.jpg

I now just need a purpose for dozens of beautiful 2 mm thick sushi soap sheets 🤣.

The rice effect only got stronger with time. The triple rice gratings (more rice content than actual cooked rice, btw!) really want to tell you “I'm rice!”. And I'm also very happy with the orange-red: paprika kernel oil really is an insider's tip for such orange-salmon colours, and this will definitely not be the last soap I'm dyeing with it. A bit disappointing is the hole (air bubble) in the middle of the Lollipop column. As if the soap has been stuck that strongly to the mould that it partially tore apart itself during drying/shrinking.

Slightly related, I had the courage to actually use one of these “filled” sushi rolls (top left). They work well! Though the first impression likely was by a large part from the M&P mess at the lower and outer sides. But at age between two and four weeks (depending on how you count), it'll get its chance with a full cure anyway.

Latest posts