SMF April 2020 Challenge - Strainer Pour/Pull Through Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sonya-m, I was wondering the same thing. I’m signing up! I had joined for last month and then life got a little crazy and didn’t get it done. I’m doing this though!!!

1. Atiz. This looks like so much fun and I need some more excuse to make soap.
2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.
3. Misschief - been wanting to try this. Now, I have no excuse.
4. Bookreader451 - just note my results may differ :p
5. msunnerstood - I'm going to try this with fluid HP.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)
7. MarnieSoapien- I can't wait!! Time to get some Pringles :)
8. Rogue-Soaper- "I would love to try this one looks like fun.
9. Mobjack Bay - HOLEY MOLEY I have an idea!
10. Jersey Girl- OK...after combing the house for a week I have finally found something I can use to try this technique!
11. Anstarx-I tried this once before with half success, time to try again!
12. SoapSisters - My first SMF challenge!
13. Primrose - I will never look at the sink strainer the same way again!
14. Glendam- I have been meaning to try this technique again, this motivates me!
15. AMD -I wasn't going to signup, I didn't think I would have time, but someone put a bug in my ear, and I think I can give it one go. I just hope my makeshift strainer works out ok.
16. AliOop - I wasn't going to sign up either, but since I was planning to try my first strainer pour this weekend anyway, why not?
17. Veggiebin - didn’t participate last month even though I signed up for the first time. Second attempt at first challenge :)

2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)
10. Jersey Girl- OK...after combing the house for a week I have finally found something I can use to try this technique!
14. Glendam- I have been meaning to try this technique again, this motivates me!
15. AMD -I wasn't going to signup, I didn't think I would have time, but someone put a bug in my ear, and I think I can give it one go. I just hope my makeshift strainer works out ok.
16. AliOop - I wasn't going to sign up either, but since I was planning to try my first strainer pour this weekend anyway, why not?
17. Veggiebin - didn’t participate last month even though I signed up for the first time. Second attempt at first challenge :)
18. Sonya-m - can’t remember the last time I took part in a challenge on here but here goes!

@Sonya-m I was super blown away by your soap challenge club pull through entry and I can't wait to see what you'll make this time! (at least, I think that was you with the pop of pink soap, right?)

Also.. I kinda stole your idea and I was wondering if you would mind telling me how you glued your wire spirals together:p. I tried to stick them together with electricity tape (mainly because I know it can withstand the high pH of soap batter, as I've used it before). That worked reasonably well, but it fell apart when I tried to clean the tool and I don't really feel like putting it back together after each use.

My first attempt is cut and cleaned up. My plan was to work with uncolored, light green and dark blue batter. Because I soaped with an oil that I don't often use my oil mix was darker than I expected, so I added some white clay to still get a nice creamy white uncolored soap. In hindsight I shouldn't have done that. The light green is now so light it's hardly noticable (it came through very lightly in an end piece where I started pouring with the light green batter, but I don't see it anywhere else in the soap)

@Sonya-m I was super blown away by your soap challenge club pull through entry and I can't wait to see what you'll make this time! (at least, I think that was you with the pop of pink soap, right?)

Also.. I kinda stole your idea and I was wondering if you would mind telling me how you glued your wire spirals together:p. I tried to stick them together with electricity tape (mainly because I know it can withstand the high pH of soap batter, as I've used it before). That worked reasonably well, but it fell apart when I tried to clean the tool and I don't really feel like putting it back together after each use.

My first attempt is cut and cleaned up. My plan was to work with uncolored, light green and dark blue batter. Because I soaped with an oil that I don't often use my oil mix was darker than I expected, so I added some white clay to still get a nice creamy white uncolored soap. In hindsight I shouldn't have done that. The light green is now so light it's hardly noticable (it came through very lightly in an end piece where I started pouring with the light green batter, but I don't see it anywhere else in the soap)
Yeah that was me; flattered you’re going down the same route. I’ve taken inspiration from so many of the great soapers on this forum over the years so it’s nice to be the one providing the inspiration. Although I do feel under pressure to create something great now 😂

I think I used superglue and I’ve checked it today and it’s still holding after almost a year.

Yeah that was me; flattered you’re going down the same route. I’ve taken inspiration from so many of the great soapers on this forum over the years so it’s nice to be the one providing the inspiration. Although I do feel under pressure to create something great now 😂

I think I used superglue and I’ve checked it today and it’s still holding after almost a year.

Sonya,
Your soap from the challenge club is absolutely stunning! :nodding:

18. Sonya-m - can’t remember the last time I took part in a challenge on here but here goes!
19. Belindasuds – Would love to join (and I think I have time now!) first SMF challenge ever!

Here's my pull-through tool. It's a plastic spiral notebook cover that I punched and cut holes in. (I couldn't purchase anything due to lock-down.)

Pull-through tool 1.jpg Pull-through tool 2.jpg

And here are the cuts I didn't use as my entry:

Cuts - pull through.jpg

They're all vertical cuts from different spots in the loaf.

@SoapSisters Very clever!! I was thinking of doing this, but thought the material would be too flimsy to pull through. Apparently not. They look great.
Thanks, @jcandleattic!! The plastic was quite rigid, actually, especially for such a small mold (500g of oils). I had to make sure my batter was quite thin. I tried this tool again with thicker trace, and the soap didn't stream through the holes. I had quite a mess on my hands!

Thanks, @jcandleattic!! The plastic was quite rigid, actually, especially for such a small mold (500g of oils). I had to make sure my batter was quite thin. I tried this tool again with thicker trace, and the soap didn't stream through the holes. I had quite a mess on my hands!
I was thinking of using those $tree cutting mats. I have quite a few laying around that I use as dividers, and so forth, so was thinking of using that, but thought it wouldn't pull through. I may try it eventually anyway, now that I know someone else has basically done the same thing. :)

Oooh great suggestion to use the cutting mats. My original idea for a pull through device has failed my pancake batter tests epically. (Pancake batter is about the consistency of my soap batter so it made sense to me to try it.) I haven't gotten to make soap, so maybe I can scoot in under the wire for this challenge.

I am going to down to the wire. I thought I was going to get to it today but my neck is so stiff I need traction tonight and then attempt tomorrow morning. It won't be planed or looking great but it should be hard enough to enter by Sunday night.

And yes I have an over the door water bag traction I use for when my neck vertebrata pressures the nerves. My right hand gets tingly until I stretch the neck to release the pressure on the nerve. Getting old stinks.

Back