SMF April 2019 Challenge - Soap Cupcakes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

Welcome to the April 2019 SMF Soap Challenge – Soap Cupcakes

If you choose to participate, you will be creating at least one soap cupcake.

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:

1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (conversation) to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's (conversations) when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules

To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)

Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)

The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.

Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.

Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.

The Entry thread will open on April 22, 2019 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)

After the closing date April 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm CST the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on April 30, 2019. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.

Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.

All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The April 2019 SMF Challenge is Cupcake Soap.

Rules for the this month’s challenge:

Your cupcake must be achieved with a base and piped top.

You must use at least two colors in your entry. The two colors do not need to be in the piped top (but you can have multiple colors in your piped top if you want!). For example: you may have a red cupcake base and an orange piped top for your two colors.

You may use embeds or other techniques to top your cupcakes.

You may use traditional or Russian piping tips.

You may use CP, HP or MP soap processes. I only do CP so even though the other challenge hostesses and I found several different videos using HP and MP processes, I wasn’t confident in them being good processes [due to my lack of knowledge], so I will leave it up to HP/MP’ers to find and share good processes.

Here are a few videos to help if you haven’t piped soap before (or need a bit of a refresher).

Soap Queen How to Make Soap Cupcakes (Note: you do not need to follow this recipe in the video… and we’ll just ignore all the “bad things”, like putting lye solution in pyrex J ) This is only one method for making frosting.

Another inspiration is from Royalty Soaps. I prefer her method of making frosting (making it and letting it sit until thick enough to pipe). She also has a recipe in her video description but you don’t have to follow that recipe.

And just for fun, here’s a video using Russian piping tips.

When you enter your soap photo on the entry thread (which will be posted on April 22nd) you may include a short description of your creative process.

Have fun!

1. earlene - I bought some silicone cupcake molds sometime back - now to find them so I can give this a try
2. steffamarie - about time I entered a challenge!!

1. earlene - I bought some silicone cupcake molds sometime back - now to find them so I can give this a try
3. Primrose - mmmmmm cupcakes ...

4. Artemis - now I want some real cupcakes... Or at least Choco frosting!

5. Amy78130 - So fun!!!

Last edited:
Just found this last week at HEB!

Attachments

• 20190404_192904.jpg
    20190404_192904.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
@Amy78130 - Those likely won't work for soap for cupcakes, the batter has to be thicker than what will come out of these. You need a larger tip to pipe the swirls on top and they don't hold much. I have a different type and they leak sometimes. I use them for cookie decorating.

I have used a decorating "gun" like this
upload_2019-4-5_9-48-28.png

with a lot of success. I did notice that after 10-ish batches of cupcakes the plastic barrel has started to etch and the screw on top/bottom are starting to crack. It's not too bad for cleanup and it is less mess for me than dealing with a piping bag.

HEB aren't everywhere? I had no idea! We have 3 in New Braunfels alone, you'd think they'd branch out a little, dang!!! We don't get out of state much <blushes>. Once, I went to Tennessee to visit family and I tried ordering a Texas homestyle burger at McDonald's, so embarrassing!!!

Prepworks by Progressive 8-Piece Frosting Bulb Decorating Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KWCT2X2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2RSPCbP16R6CB

Well, they have branched out some, but they are San Antonio based. That's where I first went to HEB, when my son lived there. They are also in the Houston area where he now lives. But they have some stores in NorthEastern Mexico as well. But none that I know of in any other US state except Texas. It started out as CC Butt Grocery Store in Kerrville, which isn't so very far from New Braunfels.

Some interesting links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-E-B
https://careers.heb.com/about-heb/

I looked at a similar frosting bulb kit at our local Blain's Farm & Fleet, but I don't think I bought it. I need to look and see what I do have for piping. It's been a long time since I've attempted piping anything. My cupcakes are probably going to look like they were made by a kindergartner!

@Amy78130 - Those likely won't work for soap for cupcakes, the batter has to be thicker than what will come out of these. You need a larger tip to pipe the swirls on top and they don't hold much. I have a different type and they leak sometimes. I use them for cookie decorating.
You are so right! I just whipped up some soap frosting and they're difficult to pipe with.

5. Amy78130 - So fun!!!
6. Terri- Going to try to find some time to do this!

5. Amy78130 - So fun!!!
7. jcandleattic - I love making cupcakes - Not sure I'll have time since I'm out of the country for a while but will try.

8 Cherrydene Soapy. I have only cupcakes once and they looked like poo but I will have another go. Hope I entered properly x

5. Amy78130 - So fun!!!
7. jcandleattic - I love making cupcakes - Not sure I'll have time since I'm out of the country for a while but will try.
8. Cherrydene Soapy. I have only cupcakes once and they looked like poo but I will have another go. Hope I entered properly x

Put the list into one post for easy tracking :)

Latest posts

Back