SMF April 2018 (Sous Vide Soap swirl) Challenge Entry Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SMF April 2018 challenge Sous Vide Soap swirl Entry Thread

Please enter two photo's, one of your soap and one of your process, with descriptions in this thread.

Please keep write any comments on the challenge entries in the original challenge thread.

Thank you all for taking part in this month's challenge!

Here is my entry for this challenge. I was trying to create the feel of diving in the Barrier Reef off the coast of Belize -- the delicate coral fans, seagrass, and brilliant fish floating in the currents; the sunlight sparkling off the surface of the water above; and the mystery of the deep blue canyons below. Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but work with me please! ;)

DSC_0010 800.jpg

And a photo of the process I used to cook the soap --
P1030327 700.jpg

I share more about how I made the soap in Posts 43, 45, 74 and 76 of the challenge discussion thread.

Last edited:
Even though it's not a traditional method, I have now made HP soap. I used an electric stock pot which worked well to keep the water at a fairly constant temperature. I did put a silicone oven mitt in the bottom as my vessels were glass. My soap was in Ziplock bags and I did put a cotton towel on top of the bag. The fragrance is a blend of lime EO and WSP White Citrus FO.
DSC02275_0954.JPG
DSC02262_0968.JPG

Here is my entry. Although I had some difficulty when I accidentally added the accelerating FO before separating and coloring, which I had planned to do, I am not too disappointed in the result. The fragrance is Nurture Soap's Cinder Type.

My goal was an ITP swirl with 4 colors, poured into individual molds, which I got. So each soap bar is slightly different in the swirl, but my favorite is the one held in my hand, bottom front. I chose individual molds because we were leaving for a couple of days the next morning and needed to so something that wouldn't need to be cut within a particular timeframe.

First a collage of the set-up with the finished soaps, then the final entry photo:
full

That photo in the upper right is me testing to see if my idea of using binder clips and bbq skewers with the zip-lock baggies was going to 'hold water'. It did, but even though the baggie with water did not fail, one of the baggies with soap did spring a leak from the bottom, but I quickly removed them and began pouring right away.

full

I have not yet cleaned them up, as I did these just before leaving for a couple of days in Chicago, and only just removed them from their molds after my return.

Edit for spelling correction.

Last edited:
I had been ignoring mine after the disaster of making it ... But I'm surprised I actually sort of ended up with an OK soap. I cut off the outer edges and what was inside was sort of OK
1524731446735..jpg

I'm sorry I can't get my process photo uploaded here but its in the other thread

Here is my entry. First pic is the packed crockpot, towel pulled back (after the pic it was placed over all bags and the lid put on-it was full of hot water to help with heat...I think!).

Last picture is the final result! Not as much swirl as I thought I did, I think I need something heavier than a skewer to get to the bottom. Scent is Candle Science Clean Cotton, mica is from Nuture Soap.

EDIT: I figured out the pictures
cooking.jpg
final cut.jpg

Last edited:
Name: Did I shave my legs for this?
Cook time: 3 hours because I forgot
Colors: Nurture's Micas
FO: Dragon Moon from Nurture (never again, I hate this FO)
Water Discount: None

Conclusion: I loved, LOVED, the experiment but more than likely will not soap in a bag again.

Difficulties:
  • Forgot I was making soap and it cooked for 3 hours. It may have to do with the fact that my usual method is cold process where you put it in the mold and you are done.
  • Burned my hands a couple of times trying to put it in the mold as I was rushing because for some reason It did not click that I could have let it cool a bit. I think I was too afraid it would get too hard.
  • One of the bags had a hole so a bit of water got into one of them. Not enough to cause a disaster, but enough that I had to cut the corner and let the water drip out.
  • No amount of clean up and repair could get rid of some of the air pockets. I did bang the mold on the floor a couple of times but still had more than a few air pockets.

• Challenge.jpg
    Challenge2.JPG
    Challenge3.jpeg
    Challenge4.jpeg

Well, this didn't quite go as planned, but it's growing on me, sorta. I used a basic recipe colored and scented before bagging at emulsion.The FO was Autumn Equinox from Nurture(it a fresh earthy scent) I like it a lot but I wouldn't really consider it just a Fall scent.
I used food saver bags (I did seal them completely but also kept a close eye on them)
I hung the bags on skewers with binder clips. It took about 40 minutes for the soap to gel in the simmering water. I had no leaks or issues
with the bags, but the soap was a bit thick and quick to dry, and really hot :eek: I squirted it into the mold trying to alternate the colors and made a
sad attempt at a hanger swirl.

41469124472_cd86e6f5c1.jpg

41469126192_e0b9035f56.jpg

26857851847_c361e7317f.jpg

41008290594_417b2dd9eb.jpg

Then drizzled gold mica on top. I really thought it would be a total loss when I almost dropped it on my way to the back room to
cool it off. (hence the fault lines) It looks a bit like funky marble to me. :goodbye1:

If I was too late to the party, just delete.:)

@Serene You need to tell how you got that swirl !! It is a fantastic job.

They all look great. HP is hard to get what you are looking for, especially after doing CP for so long.

Latest posts

Back