SMF April 2018 Challenge - Sous Vide (HP) Soap swirling!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First batch down, hopefully I’ll have time for more.

For my method I filled a crockpot with water, then lined it and put my baggies in the liner to double it up. It took roughly 90minutes to gel from a cold crock. It could have been a bit shorter than that paused checking to eat. Of course I also decided I didn’t like myself and piped my soap straight from the water bath instead of waiting a few minutes for it to cool. Don’t do that. It was annoying.

First batch down, hopefully I’ll have time for more.

For my method I filled a crockpot with water, then lined it and put my baggies in the liner to double it up. It took roughly 90minutes to gel from a cold crock. It could have been a bit shorter than that paused checking to eat. Of course I also decided I didn’t like myself and piped my soap straight from the water bath instead of waiting a few minutes for it to cool. Don’t do that. It was annoying.

So you are using the liner instead of the jug? Nice idea :)

Can you add hot water to a cold crock pot?

I wondered if the crock would work.

Join in! :)

Can you add hot water to a cold crock pot?

Probably, as long as it isn’t boiling. Another option would be to turn the crock on before starting to assemble ingredients. I have limited counter space and didn’t want to worry about accidents.

One thing I didn’t mention. My batch size wasn’t quite big enough to weight down into the water on its own. There was enough excess plastic to bundle up and push down the batter with the lid on. My batch was a bit over 2#

I would but I do HP in the Crock, and I make messes. Not good to add baggies to my routine, god knows what will happen :hairpulling:

But I am Watching this !
Do you add FO in the begining? Does it burn off?

I developed this method so that I could cool the soap down enough to add warmed essential oils (and other ingredients) after saponification and still be able to swirl the soap ... without having to resort to additives or special equipment to achieve it :)

Do you add FO in the begining? Does it burn off?

I personally don't add FO in the beginning

If the fragrance oil is stable for use in a CPOP/gelled soap recipe, then I would imagine that it would also be stable in SVHP soap (the Sous Vide soap isn't meant to get very hot), but I'll leave the experienced answer to someone who has added FO at the start. :)

The yellow is starting to tone down in the olive/avocado soaps (thank goodness!).

I have discovered that I like steaming as a method of delivering the warmth as well, although more care needs to be taken to ensure that it's a very gentle steaming process (my first soap got a little hotter than I want for this method - the whole point is gentle, airless, heat :)).

I'll be posting up some more observations and test pours in the sous-vide experimentation thread fairly soon.

1. dibbles - Never thought I'd do HP. Never say never.
2. BattleGnome - Adventure!
3. SunRiseArts - ╭(◔ ◡ ◔)/
4. earlene - I've got to try this!
5. amd - looks like I'm moving back into the kitchen...
6. scard - Maybe I can use my neem oil?:D
7. Penelopejane - maybe a good time to use a pesky FO.
8. Serene-Someone save me from myself.
9. SoapAddict415- I may not get a chance to try the challenge but I'd still like to vote.
10. DeeAnna -- I need more practice with HP, so HP-in-a-bag -- here I come!

If they're safe for simmering water, I'd try 'em. I'm thinking about using my vacuum sealer bags -- heavy duty, also safe to use in simmering water. I trust them more than a zip lock -- I've had too many of them leak at the corners. Grrr.

If they're safe for simmering water, I'd try 'em. I'm thinking about using my vacuum sealer bags -- heavy duty, also safe to use in simmering water. I trust them more than a zip lock -- I've had too many of them leak at the corners. Grrr.

Yes thats the bag Im talking about. Ok if your thinking about them I am too lol. Yes better then a zip lock i think and I dont need the container. just put them in the water. Should we seal them? Or do they need to breathe a little?

SaltedFig said ...press the air carefully out of the bag (it doesn’t have to be perfect, just get out as much as you comfortably can) and seal the bag shut...." so if it's reasonably safe, I'd seal the bag. It will be a little more tricky than zipping a bag closed, but it's do-able I think.

If sealing the bag doesn't seem like a good idea, a person could also just fold the open top over several times and seal with a clip, like you'd close a potato chip bag. I use those metal binder clips from the office supply store -- they would be heat proof.

I often seal soup stock in my vacuum seal bags. Yes, it's tricky. Stock leaks while the vacuum seal is sucking air out of the bag, so I wouldn't squeeze all the air out with active lye in the batter. If you can hold your bag below the level of the counter where your sealer sits, that can help prevent too much spillage.

I took them out and sat them upright, sealed the ziplock seal as far along as I could, then laid the bag gently flat to finish getting the air out. I did seal some directly in the pot. I think too much air would be a problem (it expands), but a little is ok.

Any safe, airtight bag (and bag sealing method) and any gentle heat method would be ok.

Yes thats the bag Im talking about. Ok if your thinking about them I am too lol. Yes better then a zip lock i think and I dont need the container. just put them in the water. Should we seal them? Or do they need to breathe a little?
Redhead, I found that the seal (of the bags I use) need to be kept out of the water, otherwise they fail (small sample rate, but about 30% seam failure, or bag opening, when the seal is wet from either being in boiling water or being turned upside down).
Your bags sound like they were made for being put into boiling water, so perfect!

The bag needs to be kept airtight for the entire cook.

*edited to keep adding :confused:
I often seal soup stock in my vacuum seal bags. Yes, it's tricky. Stock leaks while the vacuum seal is sucking air out of the bag, so I wouldn't squeeze all the air out with active lye in the batter. If you can hold your bag below the level of the counter where your sealer sits, that can help prevent too much spillage.

I agree, if you can get most of the air out, without laying it flat, then do that (I did it initially to take photo's).

[I haven't tried vacuum sealing soap batter, and I won't. I'd end up hurting myself and making a mess!]

*edited to add more
I also had a bag-melting event, when I clipped the bags to a metal skewer ... the skewer transferred heat.
When I steam them, I put them directly into the bamboo steamer, the steam needs to be very gentle.

The jug was to ensure no mess from bag failure (which has not been needed, except for the above noted seal immersions) and to ensure gentle heat (which could be controlled in other ways).

I have found the suis-vide temperature needs to be well below a simmer when placed directly in the water or steam environment, as high, rapid heat causes bubbles in the soap.

Last edited:
I don't use the vacuum when packaging really liquidy stuff like soup. I just gently press out as much of the air as I can by hand, and then heat seal the bag. A few bubbles escape my efforts, but not too bad with a little practice. I'd rather have a bubble or two than have to clean up that mess from trying to use the vacuum.

I think I'd do the same with this soap making method too.

SaltedFig said ...press the air carefully out of the bag (it doesn’t have to be perfect, just get out as much as you comfortably can) and seal the bag shut...." so if it's reasonably safe, I'd seal the bag. It will be a little more tricky than zipping a bag closed, but it's do-able I think.

If sealing the bag doesn't seem like a good idea, a person could also just fold the open top over several times and seal with a clip, like you'd close a potato chip bag. I use those metal binder clips from the office supply store -- they would be heat proof.

Oh I see she said that lol - Aging isnt kind!

1. dibbles - Never thought I'd do HP. Never say never.
2. BattleGnome - Adventure!
3. SunRiseArts - ╭(◔ ◡ ◔)/
4. earlene - I've got to try this!
5. amd - looks like I'm moving back into the kitchen...
6. scard - Maybe I can use my neem oil?:D
7. Penelopejane - maybe a good time to use a pesky FO.
8. Serene-Someone save me from myself.
9. SoapAddict415- I may not get a chance to try the challenge but I'd still like to vote.
10. DeeAnna -- I need more practice with HP, so HP-in-a-bag -- here I come!
11. Redhead1226 - Ill give it a go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use the vacuum when packaging really liquidy stuff like soup. I just gently press out as much of the air as I can by hand, and then heat seal the bag. A few bubbles escape my efforts, but not too bad with a little practice. I'd rather have a bubble or two than have to clean up that mess from trying to use the vacuum.

I think I'd do the same with this soap making method too.

I forgot to mention that normally I fill the open bag with soup, then place it upright in the freezer (in a container to help it stay upright) and don't seal it until the next day. That way it's not a liquid, but a solid. Some liquid still gets sucked out with the vacuum seal, but not like when it is melted.

I am sorry I left that out in my previous post. I don't know what I was thinking to leave out that bit of information! Of course freezing soap batter for this would only prolong the process.

I wonder if my vacuum sealer can do heat only and not vacuum. I should check as that might be a good way to go on this project.

Latest posts

Back