SMF April 2018 Challenge - Sous Vide (HP) Soap swirling!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Challenge – Sous Vide HP Soap

Hi everyone and welcome to this month's soap challenge ... HP soaping in a bag, or Sous Vide HP.

I think this is new (I have only seen soaps being melted in a bag for rebatching in the past) ... so it's a bit of a collective experiment as well as a challenge.

The idea is to create a soap that is fully saponified, so some of the more lye sensitive ingredients can be added after the cook. I want to swirl too, like I do with my cold process soaps, but without changing or adding to the recipe ingredients.

So the idea for this months challenge is to make a Sous Vide HP soap in at least two colors, and swirl them in the mold. Any swirl style and any number of colors are welcome. The choice of design is entirely up to you and how you choose to use this technique.

The Sous Vide HP soap technique:

Sous Vide HP Soap is a simplification of the original food technique. Making Sous Vide HP soap doesn’t require thermometers, vacuum sealers, immersion heaters or any other additional equipment. You can make Sous Vide Soap with the equipment you already have for soaping

The concept is to gently cook your soap in a water bath, using a plastic bag (that will double later as a piping bag) inside a jug or jar (I used plastic pouring jugs because the handle stays cool and it’s easy to move around).

The equipment that is required (other than the actual ingredients and usual safety equipment) are some BPA-free ziplock bags or roasting bags, some jugs or jars (for the plastic bags to sit inside) and any old pot to boil water in

The soap batter is made in the same way that cold process soap is made. If you are using an existing HP recipe, you might want to reduce the water (there’s no water loss with this technique).

Place the plastic bags into the jugs, and divide the soap batter is between them, and add colour and additives as you would for CP soap making … before the cook.

Once you have finished mixing your separated colors, press the air carefully out of the bag (it doesn’t have to be perfect, just get out as much as you comfortably can) and seal the bag shut.

The jug and it’s bag are placed into hot water (keep it just under a simmer, if you can see bubbles but they aren’t breaking the surface, that's about perfect!).

Two important things with this method:

1/ the water line must come up to the same level on the outside of the jug as the soap filled bag does on the inside (otherwise the top may be too cold to gel) and;

2/ insulate the top (I used jugs and teatowels, but canning jars in a canning bath would work perfectly, as long as the lid was not sealed closed - just catch the lid to the jar so there is no air pressure build up during the cook.)

Examples of Sous Vide HP soaps
I've had two attempts at this so far. Both have taken about ½ an hour to cook, with the first one being a few minutes longer because I kept taking it in and out of the bath to look at it and photograph it

Once the soap is fully gelled (it goes dark and gets up to about 85C, or around 185F, in the centre) it is brought out of the bath and is ready pour directly from the bag into the mold.

For my first batch I cooled the soap in the bag on my table, to see at what point it would start setting up. One thing I did think of is that the sous vide soap could be left in the water bath and cooled a little bit there (to avoid cold spots in the corners), but I haven’t tried that yet.

Anyway, these are my first attempts at Sous Vide HP soapmaking (I bet you can already tell I'm not normally a HP soaper!):

Salted Fig Sous Vide HP soaps 1st and 2nd attempts.jpg

Key points:

1/ Use heat resistant, BPA free bags. I used #5 plastic ziplock bags, but tied off oven bags would also work.

2/ The water bath is kept at no more than a simmer, and the water must come all the way up the height of the soap.

3/ Don’t turn ziplock bags upside down – the soap will cause the seal to fail (upside – if you do have a failure, it’s in a jug, so it can be poured into a new bag without any trouble at all) … and yes, I have a photo of that :D

4/ Pour or pipe the soap hot, and if you are swirling, you will need to be reasonably quick - the starts to form a skin as soon as it begins cooling, which is quick.

If you would like to try the additive step (adding things after the cook), it would be terrific to see how that goes!

So … Aprils challenge is to make Sous Vide HP soap in at least two colors and blend them.

The basic rule of this soap is that the soap is hot process in a sealed bag, and piped or poured from that bag into the mold while it is still hot. Other than this, all colours, styles, piping methods, molds etc. are allowed.

Please take a photo of your process and a photo of your finished soap for the entry thread.

Background:

The idea of melting soap in an oven bag for rebatching has been around for years. This is a thread from 8 years ago on this very forum, talking about the different types of bags that can (should?) be used for rebatching this way.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/rebatching-with-an-oven-bag.17269/

Over at the spruce, there’s a lovely sequence of photo’s of the same rebatching concept, from just this year (including a piping photo):
https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-rebatch-soap-517103

During the soap dough challenge, we used ziplock bags to cure cold process soap.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/prep-for-february-challenge.68662/page-3#post-684574

(PS. Cleanup is a breeze )

A pictorial I made from my first Sous Vide HP soaps:
(Please excuse the terrible coloring ... and the yellow :cool:)

Preparation:
Bring a large pot or pan of water to the boil. There needs to be enough water to come up the sides of the jugs (or jars) to the top of the soap level.

Step 1/ Make the soap batter.
Sous Vide Soap step 1 make soap batter.JPG

Step 2/ Pour the batter into the pre-prepared bags in jugs (or jars)
Sous Vide Soap step 2 pour into bags.JPG

Step 3/ Color the soap
Sous Vide Soap step 3 colour the soap.jpg

Step 4/ Seal the bags (you don't need to take them out)
Sous Vide Soap step 4 seal the bags.jpg

Step 5/ Back in the jugs (if you didn't take them out, this will be your step 4)
Sous Vide Soap step 5 back in the jug ready to cook.jpg

Step 6/ Simmer until dark and translucent (they need insulating at the top, I added a tea-towel later)
Sous Vide Soap step 6 simmer until translucent insulate tops.jpg

Step 7/ Simmer in water deep enough to come to the top of where the soap is in the jug (you can see the line where it wasn't hot enough in this first attempt)
Sous Vide Soap step 7 simmer in water deep enough see gel line.jpg

Step 8/ The jugs make it easy to take the soap out of the water
Sous Vide Soap step 8 they are so easy to take in and out of the water.jpg

Step 9/ Checking the temperature of the gelled soap (with a cheap thermometer)
Sous Vide Soap step 9 checking the temperature after the gel.jpg

Step 10/ Cooling (I cooled mine out flat, they could be cooled in the jug and/or in the water bath to avoid the colder parts setting up)
Sous Vide Soap step 10 cooling just a little too much see corners.jpg

Next post ...

Step 11/ Squishing the soap around (it was hand warm by this stage) was fun! I was trying to work the colder parts into the warm bits. Better to keep them the same temperature in the first place is the conclusion I came to.
Sous Vide Soap step 11 squishing it around is fun.jpg

Step 12/ Piping into the mold (this was really hard to photograph, sorry - it was late and I was juggling fast moving soap and photography - neither won :))
Sous Vide Soap step 12 pipe into mold.png

Step 13/ Soap on an outrageously lime green mat
Sous Vide Soap step 13 cut bars.jpg

Lucky last, challenge rules ...

Please enter one picture of your process and one picture of your entry soap to the Entry thread.

The Entry Thread will open on April 19th and close on the 25th. Voting will start on the 26th and close on April 30th.

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on April 19, 2018 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date April 25, 2018 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on May 2nd or 3rd, 2018. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· The challenge team reserves the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

Last edited:
Just to make sure I have the process: make CP, gel in a double boiler, pour?

1. dibbles - Never thought I'd do HP. Never say never.
2. BattleGnome - Adventure!

Never done this, I will give it a try!

3. SunRiseArts - ╭(◔ ◡ ◔)/

The key to the sous-vide HP method is the use of an air-tight bag to contain the soap while it's cooked.

The only concern I have with any metal being used is that the bag will melt by heat transfer quite quickly (I didn't take a photo of it, but one of my experiments involved pegging the bags to a metal skewer so the seal could be kept out of the water - the bag failed because the skewer transferred enough heat to the plastic to melt it).

If you think this won't be a problem with your double-boiler setup then, although the heat source wouldn't be as diffuse as being fully submerged immersed in water, which is what worked for the jug system, a double-boiler might work if you want to put your bag in that. Worth a try, if you want to give it a go! :thumbup:

Which reminds me ... experimenting with alternate heat systems for the Sous Vide Soap, like bamboo steamers, oil baths and other systems, is within the rules (thanks for the question Battle Gnome!) :)

*Edited to correct the impression - in the water-bath version, the water should come up the sides of the jug to at least the level of the top of the soap (immersed), but it does not go inside the jug (submerged) :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
4. earlene - I've got to try this!

Great challenge idea, SaltedFig!

SaltedFig, do you have a photo of the filled jugs in the simmering water bath? I am trying to wrap my head around how to do this without the plastic cups melting. I assume you used a stock pot steamer to lift the jugs up off the floor of the pot?

Last edited:
5. amd - looks like I'm moving back into the kitchen...

Having never done HP I don’t have experience to go on. By the time you are putting the soap into the mold, it seems like it is already very thick, or is it somewhat fluid? We are looking at doing a spoon or chopstick type of swirl? Or a layered kind of design?

Great challenge idea, SaltedFig!

SaltedFig, do you have a photo of the filled jugs in the simmering water bath? I am trying to wrap my head around how to do this without the plastic cups melting. I assume you used a stock pot steamer to lift the jugs up off the floor of the pot?

Thank you Earlene :)

The setup is similar to canning - in this example (using a more shallow pot that I would like - it made for easier photo's) you can see the rack to hold the pots out of the water. This photo was taken near the end, so the soap is just about fully translucent.
Sous Vide Soap example water bath with rack.jpg

Having never done HP I don’t have experience to go on. By the time you are putting the soap into the mold, it seems like it is already very thick, or is it somewhat fluid? We are looking at doing a spoon or chopstick type of swirl? Or a layered kind of design?

It's still a lot thicker than cold process (a lot like thick trace), especially if it's piped cooler (piped hot it is a lot thinner, but it's hot to handle).

So spoon rather than chopsticks for the swirl, I reckon.

The first batch was spoon swirled (it was cooler and thick) and the second batch I skewer swirled. I am keeping a bit of a diary on it in this thread: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/can-i-ask-your-opinion.69718/

I'll be giving batch 3 a go today, and I plan on using a whiter recipe to show the swirl better. I might go in between swirling tool sizes and use a paddle pop stick :)

6. scard - Maybe I can use my neem oil?:D

7. Penelopejane - maybe a good time to use a pesky FO.

8. Serene-Someone save me from myself.

What bags are everyone finding that are appropriate?

I have GV ziptop baggies and Reynolds crockpot bags at the moment, neither have a number in the recycling code. So far the best I can find is a comment that the GV bags are polyethylene which I don’t remember being acceptable for lye.

Hi BattleGnome.

The bags I used are a common BPA-free ziplock PE plastic bag.

They are not as sturdy as HDPE (#2 plastic), but are resistant to lye and moderate heat.

The only trouble I had was when I melted one that I'd clipped to a metal skewer :rolleyes:
(the heat from the pot rim traveled along the metal skewer and melted the top of the bag)

So, if yours is also PE, then it should work the same :)

When I made the soap dough, I used the pretty standard sandwich size zip-lock baggies, whatever brand was cheapest at my local Walmart, and a couple other brands from other stores I have acquired along the way, so they are not all the Great Value brand that Wal-Mart carries. I put the batter directly into the baggies and let it gel in the baggie. I still have soap dough in some of those same baggies and they have not deteriorated to a visible degree, so I think they are just fine for this purpose. That was a couple of months ago when I made the soap dough.

8. Serene-Someone save me from myself.
9. SoapAddict415- I may not get a chance to try the challenge but I'd still like to vote.

Latest posts

Back