Smelly wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought some Cera Bellina from AZBB. When it arrived yesterday I sadly discovered it has a VERY strong plastic smell. Very strong. Very unpleasant. I chewed on a few of the wax bits and could *taste* the smell.

I was sooooooooo excited to try it with some lip balm and solid cologne, but it certainly can't be used like this.

Before I return it, I wanted to ask the wisdom hive here if this is unusual for CB, or if its just one of those sensitive ingredients that rapidly picks up environmental smells.

Thanks!

Thank you so much! I should've ordered from BB, I've never had an issue with any of their products.. and their price is better than AZBB, but Bb's shipping is SO slow.

Oh well. Live n' learn.

Thank you!

Ugh, so sorry! My CB is from LotionCrafter and has no smell. You might want to check them out; for me, their prices + shipping are quite competitive, and their shipping is much faster than BB or WSP.

Also, they have refunded me excess shipping fees on two separate orders, based on the actual cost when they shipped each order.

@Mobjack Bay Actually, you were my inspiration for CB.

I was hemming and hawing about buying it. Then finally, when I decided I wanted it, I REEEEEEEALY wanted it, like pronto! And BB's shipping is just so sloth-like. So I went to Amazon, where I found it sold by what appeared to be a reputable seller, not some oddly named and highly suspicious entity. But alas.

@AliOop LC was my back up! Oh well!

thank you both so much!

I sadly discovered it has a VERY strong plastic smell. Very strong. Very unpleasant. I chewed on a few of the wax bits and could *taste* the smell.
I wouldn't hesitate to contact the supplier. They deserve the opportunity to keep a new customer satisfied with their purchase.

I hear you about BB. I doubt I'm the only customer they've lost due to their sloooow shipping.

LOTION CRAFTER has a looong standing reputation for being a great company to do business with. Because they are located on an island in Puget Sound be sure to read their shipping dates and choose carefully the type of shipping from their menu. The default shipping may be more expensive than one of the other choices. :thumbs: ;)

@Zany_in_CO Thank you so much! Yes, if I'd purchased directly from the supplier, I would reach out directly. Unfortunately, I bought the ingredient through Amazon, so I have to follow those return parameters.

I double-checked the merchant before buying, it seemed trustworthy, and I'm sure this is just an unfortunate one-off.

On the bright side, I forged ahead with the lip butter, using some incredibly lovely USA beeswax and subbed in some cold-pressed watermelon seed oil. OMG. Silky luxury! The resulting lip butter is Ryan Reynolds-rolling-worthy.

Back