Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on your first soap!

The lard smell never goes away, which is one of the reasons the commercial soap makers don't use it. Tallow is mildly detectable in an old soap, but the lard smell fades a little bit at first, and then gets stronger again as the soap ages. The one supermarket brand is a mix of tallow and lard, from memory (you'd have to read the label to check - it's the one in red and silver foil).

I can smell it even in small amounts, and I don't like it, but most people here who use it seem to be happy covering it's smell with fragrances and using it at a modest percentage of the recipe, so you might be ok if you a) don't use too much in your recipe b) don't overheat it, c) cover up it's piggyness with fragrance and d) don't keep the soap for a long time.

Other than that, it's supposed to be marvelous. ;)

I looked up the red/silver foil one, it's branded York Foods from Woolies, 100% pork fat at $4.50 for 250 grams, so not that cheap.

Oh! I actually boiled my lard with baking soda for like half an hour, let it cool and separated the lard from the water and the lard smell did fade a bit, but not completelly. I used it like that for a soap and I finally used the soap (is 4 weeks old) and I cant really detect the lard smell.

Varieties of branded lard in Australia are virtually non existant. The days of butchers selling it, are also long gone. We had a butcher shop some time ago and haven't seen it in all the time we had the business. You might have to render some yourself.
Depends where you live. Where I shop in Perth I have no trouble buying pig fat by the kg. At one point I used a lot of lard as I had a dog who suffered with acidosis (a tablespoon of lard each day helps prevent the attacks) so i used to buy 2 or 3kg of fat at a time and render it into lard.

Where do you get yours KimT2au?

I get my lard from IGA, Dorsogna brand for about $5 for 500g. Cheaper than the Yorkfoods brand that Woolworths stocks

Depends where you live. Where I shop in Perth I have no trouble buying pig fat by the kg. At one point I used a lot of lard as I had a dog who suffered with acidosis (a tablespoon of lard each day helps prevent the attacks) so i used to buy 2 or 3kg of fat at a time and render it into lard.
I mean't you can't by lard in a wax carton, like you use to (butchers use sell these years ago). We use to sell trimmings for dogs etc if people wanted it. Some will sell it to you if your are a regular customer (supermarkets not so much).

I am buying it at the moment from Coles as I only needed 500g, however I have a foster dog at present who is prone to acidosis attacks so I may go back to rendering it myself as I suspect I will have this lad for months rather than weeks. I get the raw pig fat from Springs Butchers in Coventry Square, Morley. I cut up into chunks and leave it heating (outside) in my crock pot until it is all melted. I let it cool a little bit and then drain the fat through a cloth into jars. I keep one jar at a time in the fridge and the rest in the freezer until I need it.

I use Armour lard up to 40% and never smell it. Lard is the first to be weighed because I'm messy. There is always lard to clean up somewhere. When finished weighing all oils the bowl goes in the microwave. I hit it for 45 seconds, stir, then hit it for another 45 seconds. The bowl is then warm to the touch but not hot. The lard softens but doesn't lose its shape, never getting hot enough to melt. I put it in the sink and use the stick blender. The lard is usually warm enough to then incorporate but never hot.
This 4 pound bucket has been sitting on a shelf in the laundry room for well over a year, maybe two, and was fine when opened. No strong odor. I just bought 6 one pound cartons for $3.00 each at WalMart.
IMG_1880.JPG

Last edited:
Dennis absolutely I agree I use the same lard from Walmart but in one lb containers as I only make 2lb batches at s time .

I’ve never smelled any pig smell what so ever. I microwave it for the same amount of time 90 seconds buT. Three 30seconds.

I just finished my first loaf that was 3 years old. The soap smelled amazing and the bar was hard until it dissolved.

The fragrances that I use are very mild and weak. Some lady at work even asked if I could add more - and it’s nkt to cover up the smell but the brands fragrances are rather weak sauce .

When I use another companies it stinks up my whole apartment in the good way.

No complaints about lard smell from armor brand lard. I have a sensitive nose as well. If it smelled like food I would throw it away.

Going to keep sticking to this one recipe onediem gave to me as it’s the perfect soap for me ^_^

Oakmoss neutralizes the odor of lard & tallow in soaps. I dilute Oakmoss Absolute at a rate of 10% in 90% jojoba to make it easier to work with and to extend shelf life. I keep it with all my other stuff in my soaping box. Use Rate: 0.7% (1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ppo) You can add it to your fragrance of choice but it's quite nice on its own.

CG OAKMOSS ABSOLUTE, (Evernia prunastri)
Oakmoss is not a true flowering plant but a lichen (algae + fungus) that is extracted for its fragrance. They grow well on trunks of the Oak tree. Oakmoss absolute is a viscous liquid with an extremely intense aroma reminiscent of a damp forest floor.

Its odor is uplifting, cooling and calming. Its properties are more emotional and spiritual than physical. It can be used as an addition with respiratory oils as an inhalant to relieve congested sinus. May irritate sensitive skin. Blends well with cedarwood, citrus, pine, rosemary and vetiver. Used extensively in perfumery, its a very thick product whose dark green color will vary from batch to batch and distiller to distiller. Flashpoint: >200 F. Solvent extracted lichen, India.

Oakmoss neutralizes the odor of lard & tallow in soaps. I dilute Oakmoss Absolute at a rate of 10% in 90% jojoba to make it easier to work with and to extend shelf life. I keep it with all my other stuff in my soaping box. Use Rate: 0.7% (1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ppo) You can add it to your fragrance of choice but it's quite nice on its own.
Wow, thank you! Just found out that my butcher is willing to sell me animal fat (whatever I please) for $1 a pound. Oak moss sounds absolutely wonderful.

Dennis and clownking, the OP is in Australia and we can't get those brands here, also no Walmart.

Dennis and clownking, the OP is in Australia and we can't get those brands here, also no Walmart.
Hmmm, No WalMart is not necessarily a bad thing. I seldom shopped there until they started online grocery ordering and free pickup. Now I don't have to go inside. Some love the huge stores but not me. You do get plenty of exercise walking in from the lot, searching for items, then finding a register open to check out that doesn't have a long line.
Wonder if I could corner the Aussie lard market and become an international lard king???? Headline: Super Tanker With Lard Arrives - Oz Rejoices!
Probably not.

I always smell the lard in all lard soaps. I just have a sensitive nose of it I guess, no matter how much scent you put in it. And if there is no much scent that I can't smell it then I am betting there is too much scent.

Some people can smell little things while others can't.
My DD and I can smell the lard, but she can smell the cranberry FO before I could

I hope it’s ok to post here. (I’m new). I made a lard soap last fall.
50 olive oil
25 coconut oil
25 lard
FO- sweet pea

At first it smelled ok. Then I noticed it smelled like used grease. It sat for months. I disliked it more and more. Finally used it at the kitchen sink and it smelled like old bacon grease. The more time went by the stronger that old greasy smell got. I finally threw it out. I couldn’t take the smell.

I see so many recipes and love for lard on this forum. Maybe I overheated the lard, but won’t it get super heated when it saponifies? I want to make a good, long lasting bar of soap. It seems lard is the way to go but I’m scared it’ll start smelling again, in a bad way.

I’ve read and read different posts to try and figure out where I went wrong. I wasn't the only one who smelled it but all that I asked to try it said the same. “Ewww”

50 olive oil
25 coconut oil
25 lard
FO- sweet pea

At first it smelled ok. Then I noticed it smelled like used grease. It sat for months. I disliked it more and more. Finally used it at the kitchen sink and it smelled like old bacon grease. The more time went by the stronger that old greasy smell got. I finally threw it out. I couldn’t take the smell.

I see so many recipes and love for lard on this forum. Maybe I overheated the lard, but won’t it get super heated when it saponifies? I want to make a good, long lasting bar of soap. It seems lard is the way to go but I’m scared it’ll start smelling again, in a bad way.

It sounds like your lard may have gone bad. Did you render it yourself? I only just melt my hard oils/butters till clear then add my room temp liquid oil to those. Then add my Room temp lye. Overheating lard can give it more of a piggy/greasy smell.
I’ve read and read different posts to try and figure out where I went wrong. I wasn't the only one who smelled it but all that I asked to try it said the same. “Ewww”

50 olive oil
25 coconut oil
25 lard
FO- sweet pea

Lard is not the only way to go. There is Tallow, Palm oil, Soy wax and the butters like Shea, cocoa, Illipe and Kokum. Currently trying out goose/duck fat and I am quite impressed. I heard duck/goose fat is similar to Lard but I don’t use lard so wouldn’t know but it doesnt smell ducky or goosey :) The soap smells just like my fragrance oil.

Lard is not the only way to go. There is Tallow, Palm oil, Soy wax and the butters like Shea, cocoa, Illipe and Kokum. Currently trying out goose/duck fat and I am quite impressed. I heard duck/goose fat is similar to Lard but I don’t use lard so wouldn’t know but it doesnt smell ducky or goosey :) The soap smells just like my fragrance oil.

Ive used gv shortening and palm in assorted trials. I do have a jar of duck fat I ordered when “ thinking” of doing an AIP diet. I quickly forgot about that. Lol thanks so much for the response and more food for thought!

You are welcome. The highest percentage I have used the duck fat at is 40% with 30% Tallow for hardness. My test bars are still under a month so can’t tell you how it holds up long term but I am quite happy with the various bars I have used the duck fat in, even though they haven’t cured yet.

Back