Smelly hands

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenbeth

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have had a rather unusual request from a lady who works with cows - the back end of cows, and she wants a soap to gte rid of the manure smell! I've had a look at 101 soaping recipe with coffee and orange. Is this good enough for cow poop or is there a better option? Also soapcalc tells me it has a cleansing of 13. Is higher better for odour removal or does it just dry out hands. The recipee is 55% olive oil 20% coconut oil 5% castor oil 10% shea butter 10% cocoa butter.

it sounds good. its a soap that is somewhat on the creamy side. 13 seem low on the scale but i was once told that all soap cleans no matter how low the number. the combination of coffee and orange sound quite capable of removing scent, coffee grounds is what i see in most odor killing soaps. the soap is high conditioning as well so it will very good on the hands. i would say try it and see what she says about the finish product once she has tried it. is this a CP or HP soap?

You don't have greasy dirt to deal with, so I wouldn't make it super scrubby. Honestly, poop washes off pretty easy. The worst dirt will be in the cuticles and under the fingernails where a brush works better anyway. It's the stink that lingers.

Also, her hands may have been wet for a long time before she can clean up, so her hands will already be somewhat sensitive or even irritated, so easy on the coconut oil and palm kernel oil -- mild cleansing and moderate conditioning might be appreciated.

There are many good deodorizers to choose. My personal favorite is anise -- it does a nice job on fish stink. Coffee -- very fine expresso grind -- is a mild scrubby and good odor remover too.

You don't have greasy dirt to deal with, so I wouldn't make it super scrubby. Honestly, poop washes off pretty easy. The worst dirt will be in the cuticles and under the fingernails where a brush works better anyway. It's the stink that lingers.

Also, her hands may have been wet for a long time before she can clean up, so her hands will already be somewhat sensitive or even irritated, so easy on the coconut oil and palm kernel oil -- mild cleansing and moderate conditioning might be appreciated.

There are many good deodorizers to choose. My personal favorite is anise -- it does a nice job on fish stink. Coffee -- very fine expresso grind -- is a mild scrubby and good odor remover too.

I would leave the shea butter and cocoa butter for later as a leave on product , skin conditioner and skin protector ?

Thanks for the advice. Charcoal might be good for absorbing smells. I think the problem for this lady is that she is 'elbow deep and more' for a fair part of the day so that while the poop washes off, the scent lingers. I milked cows for 10 years myself and some days you just can't work out where the smell is coming from. The coffee and citrus is sounding good as I haven't got any anise

Back