Smelly castor oil!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoneex

Reaction score
I've been playing around with creating my own recipes recently and when making today's batch realised I didn't have enough sweet almond oil for what my recipe needed so I subbed in some castor oil. I've been trying to avoid using castor oil as even though I'm only doing small batches and using at least 15ml of essential oil (German chamomile for this batch) I can't seem to cover up the castor smell! Does anyone have any tips to mask this smelly oil?

It shouldn't have a strong smell and it should definitely not come through in soap at all.
It's probably rancid.

It should just give you an oily hint, like with light cooking oils such as sunflower; but it doesn't have a distinct smell.

Looks like ill be buying my castor oil else where from now on, I wondered how so many people could use it in recipes when it smelt like this! Haha thanks for the help!

I have been getting mine from the local Rite Aid in the laxative section. It is not cheap, but will hold me over until I receive my order from Brambleberry. Perhaps if you need it in a pinch you should just have some as spare from the local drugstore.

Castor oil is practically odorless. At least there is no unpleasant odor. I would contact the supplier and see if they are willing to exchange it for a fresh bottle. They should at least be told they sold rancid oil and get a chance to do the right thing and replace it. If they don't then I would definitely cross them off my supplier list.

I have been getting mine from the local Rite Aid in the laxative section. It is not cheap, but will hold me over until I receive my order from Brambleberry. Perhaps if you need it in a pinch you should just have some as spare from the local drugstore.

Or at a local health food store. You can usually get it in larger quantities there, or at least I did. I used to get 8 or 16 oz bottles from a health food store, and that was when I was living in podunkville! Now I just buy on line (way cheaper!) but if you need some quickly, health food stores are another option. I just moved so I am still getting to know my local area and what's available.

Castor oil is practically odorless. At least there is no unpleasant odor. I would contact the supplier and see if they are willing to exchange it for a fresh bottle. They should at least be told they sold rancid oil and get a chance to do the right thing and replace it. If they don't then I would definitely cross them off my supplier list.

Yes. It's not like castor goes off quickly. I just checked; some small bottles that have been sitting on a top shelf for years are still fine.
The only time I had a problem with oils going rancid quickly, was when I ordered (never again!) from a supplier that didn't care much for hygiene :roll:

This small bottle's best before date is 24/05/2015, I think Aussie soap supplies sells a lot of things from Brambleberry. Maybe ill order from them next time :/

Never heard of it before but maybe there is some kind of cold pressed castor that we are not familiar with??

I grabbed the empty bottle from the bin and it does say cold press's organic castor oil (not certified, whoops), the brand is Sun Ray Health, I'm not sure if you have that in America? Maybe ill just obmit castor oil from future recipes ><

Latest posts

Back