smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Soapers!
I am brand new on the block and I have been bitten by the soap and skin care bug BADLY. I make something new everyday. However, I am having the hardest time finding fragrances that stick and that smell palatable. I made a hot process soap yesterday that straightup smells like vanilla playdoh and I used a scent called Jo Malone in my whipped sugar soap today and now it smells like nothing (I only made 1/4 of a batch of the premade whipped base from Hobby Lobby so I put in 1/2 tsp of fragrance oil to 8 oz of base and 4 oz added oils). I bought both of these scents at the local soap making/candle making store so I thought it would be good quality(I am unsure whether they formulate their own FOs or not... the label is their store tag and no other brand name.

Has anyone else experienced this? How can I get my products to smell good? I'm so excited about the process and being able to use the products and share with my family and friends while I formulate my recipes; but they stink and I can't!

Help!

The best tip I can give you is to purchase from reputable suppliers and look up suggested usage rates for your particular product.
Nature's Garden, Brambleberry, Nurtures Soap, Rustic Escentuals, Wholesale Supplies Plus are a few off the top of my head. You also want to make sure they are skin safe and read reviews.
Good luck!

You may find this thread HELP! Need a fragrance suggestions for CP soap on long lasting fragrance oils useful. I find the product information and customer reviews on the supplier website to be useful for gauging how a scent smells and how the FO behaves in soap making (acceleration, discoloration). I’ve had very good scent retention for most of the FOs I purchased from Bramble Berry, Majestic Mountain Sage and Nurture. The exceptions, in general, are citrus (orange especially) and lavender scents, which tend to fade in my soaps after a few months.

I've used Hobby Lobby fragrance oils--most are not worth the time or money--they seem watered down.
The label says they are soap safe, but the smell is not strong--however, I have noticed that some of the scents develop and get a bit stronger with time, like Cucumber Melon. And some completely fade off.....I have about 40 fragrances from HL, and a few other places, that I'm currently trying to use up. They seem to do better in bath bombs--but using with soap, either CP or MP, its hit or miss if they are going to be very good.
(I usually order online, but sometimes I want a product NOW!! One day I will learn my lesson!!)

Don't forget that you can anchor your scent with clay--and I read on these boards where someone (sorry, can't remember who) suggested Litsea to anchor scents...

I know this thread was created last year, but people may be new to the forum (like me) and will read these replies later... :)

Back