smell neutralizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tabitha said:
What if you added baking soda?

Hey, that's a thought! How much would I use? I haven't heard of using baking soda in CP soap. Does it have any adverse affects? I'm looking to make a soap for eczema sufferers.

Tea Tree Oil

I haven't used baking soda either but I have a couple of recipes that call for it.

I know that tea tree oil seems to deodorize pretty good. :)

I don't know really, it was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Coffee also works well to neutralize odor. I make the lye solution with strong leftover cold coffee. Stinks to high heaven at first but deodorizes well. I make it for a friend of mine who is a salon owner. She uses it to wash her hands after giving perms and the likes. She swears by it.

hhehehe here I go again.....Activated carbon...aka activated charcoal!!!! one of the best scent neutralizers out there because of carbons structure...it has 4 covalent bonding sites which means that when other molecules are present (ie stench) it will hook onto them and change the molecule therby eliminating the scent! :)

kwahlne said:
Hey, that's a thought! How much would I use? I haven't heard of using baking soda in CP soap. Does it have any adverse affects? I'm looking to make a soap for eczema sufferers.

My son has been battleing eczema since he was tiny. The entire reason I started making soap was to try and find some relief for him. The goat milk soap w/ olive oil has helped immensly! We have used SO many cremes and ointments (3-4x a day) and nothing had helped. After nightly baths with my soap and his cream only at night for 6 days it has completely cleared up. I think the goats milk played a big role!

donniej said:
Wouldn't baking soda change the amount of lye you need?

I'd think it would nuetralize some of it...

Actually....no....I don't think it would. Baking soda is a very mild alkali, so it shouldn't neutralize it. If anything, I think it would add a small amount of alkalinity to the finished soap.

I too would like to hear from anybody that has added baking soda to (CP) soap. I made my first tooth soap a few months ago, and I love it.....EXCEPT for the fact it does nothing for stains. So I brush once or twice a week with baking soda. But I've been wondering if adding it to a tooth soap would work for stains, .....Any thoughts or experiences??

IanT said:
awwww glad its working that looked a little itchy/painful for him!

It was pretty bad. On his ankles, elbows, right butt cheek and the right cheek on his face too! lol I didn't think about taking pictures until I started noticing how great the soap was helping. The first picture was 2 days after we started with the soap and the second pic is from 5-6 days later.

He would scratch it almost to the point of breaking skin is was so bad for him.

Back