Smaller Tall and Skinny Mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmakkers

Reaction score
Snappyllama mentioned that she would love it if American Soap Supplies came up with a smaller T&S mold and I agree. I contacted a local custom injection mold supplier and are discussing the possibility of having them make a smaller one for hobbyist and doing a large group/prebuy. I'm waiting on the manufacturer for a quote on what the molds would be. I gave him a few dimensions that I think would work for a hobbyist. I'm wondering what sizes you guys would prefer? I am aiming for the mold to be as sturdy as the American Soap version.

2.25x3.75x8"/10" or 2.25x4x8"/10" or would you think 6" would be better?

Last edited:
I love my 2.5lb T&S mold from Nurture (10.5" L x 2" W x 3.75" H) but sometimes would like a smaller version for testing new FOs. My vote would be for a 6" long mold so yield would be around 1.5lbs or approximately 5 bars of soap.

I have a 2" x 4" x 18" 5 lb wooden soap mold, but when I try a new recipe I just block it off to make a 2 or 3 lb batch, that way all my bars are the same size. I made the mold myself, and just made some extra blocks to partition it. Is that an option for your molds?

2" × 4" × 6" sounds good to me. Of course that height could be an issue with bowing. Tho maybe something shorter can be reinforced to prevent that

You're so awesome, Vmakkers. I'd totally get in a group buy.

For me, I like to make 2lb oil batches since I mainly buy 2oz of FOs at a time so I can try out new things and go for 1oz ppo strength. I love the American size measurements of 2.25 * 3.75. Of course, 4 high would be fine too. I think either the 6 or 8 length would work for my preferences.

Would the mold have the wide top edge like the American one has?

Thanks for checking into this! I have the Nurture 4.5 lb T&S and I love that. I ordered it because the width is 2.5, and that keeps my soaps a consistent size, which makes packaging them easier for me.

I'd also like to see a smaller size - 1 - 1.5 lb batch, and 2.25 would be fine with me. I would be interested in a prebuy.

General consensus is length wise 6" or 8" would be best. I showed the manufacturer the American Soap mold, and told him I basically want that but shorter. I told him that a thick lip around along with side ribs for reinforcing to prevent bowing is necessary. Hopefully this gives him a good idea of what we are looking for. Something 2.25x3.75x6 or 8 with thicker silicone, wide lip, side ribs is what I'm hoping he can produce. The manufacturer is going to have to make a custom mold just to do the silicone injection for this so I'm waiting to hear back. I'll let him know those are the two dimensions we are aiming for and see what the price difference would be.

I'll keep you guys updated!

I have this mold from wholesale supplies. Don't think I've had any issues with it, but a 1#mold would be nice. I seem to gravitate more to the tall and skinny instead of my regular mold

My vote would be 4 bars, or about a 16 oz volume. 4 bars is a good test batch and I would get 2 of them so I could make a batch with 20 oz oils (so total 30 oz volume) and use up 1 oz of FO.

Pssst...I would also buy 2 4-bar (16 oz volume) slab mold. Same reason. That mold would need to make rectangular bars, I personally don't care for square bars.

I too wold be interested in one or two of these in 1#, as a newbie I'm learning that smaller batches are great for testing.

I would also be interested in a 1lb tall and skinny. I'm only doing small test batches right now and when I'm ready to move onto colors, I would love to try out some of the swirl techniques in something smaller.

Back